Close
One second...

Quick question on layers

Sorry to rehash this topic, but what's the policy on full color submissions like a painting? Do the layers need to be separated or can we submit a flattened image as long as it's 300 DPI?

Watch this
jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

The more separated it is, the easier it is to get accurate colors. Definitely keep it at least 300dpi. If it's a watercolor/painting thats inseparable, we'll do our best to separate them and match the colors as best as possible.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

I imagine a flattened image would be a pain to deal with. At the very least, have all your colors on one layer so there isn't a background layer.

Wheels03
Wheels03 profile pic Alumni

Are there any good examples/tutorials I might be able to find online? Just need something to wrap my head around so I'm not spending tons of time on a design that's unprintable.

Manupix
2 designs submitted - Score now!

There are tutos for 'simulated process separation', you might want to read this for context as this is something the printer will have to do, but you can't / shouldn't do it yourself (unless YOU are the printer ;)

Torakamikaze said:

have all your colors on one layer so there isn't a background layer.

This, and also keep any solid color / linework in the design separate if applicable.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

What specifically are you planning on doing? A digital painting?

Wheels03
Torakamikaze said:

What specifically are you planning on doing? A digital painting?

Yes, I've got my canvas sized at about 10"x14" at 300 DPI. I'm looking to mimic something along these designs...

Manupix

The potential problem with the first two is the shirt/design transition. You have to create your design on a transp bg, and finding a nice way to have it blend into the shirt isn't obvious (a simple fadeout is often ugly).

Wheels03

If it helps at all, my design uses more of a distressed border rather than transitioning to the shirt color. Also, the shirt color will more than likely be white.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

It's very possible to do this style with all the colours on separate layers, however, it's a rather involved process.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

White shirt definitely helps in the printing, screened or dtg

Wheels03
melmike said:

It's very possible to do this style with all the colours on separate layers, however, it's a rather involved process.

Are there any good guides outlining this process?

No account?