Close
One second...

What do you think?

Been working on this design, figured I'd come here and ask you guys which you thought looked better, the solid one on left, or half-tone on right. I'm leaning more towards halftone...

Something else I was wondering was about the size of the dots on the halftone, are they maybe too big? Should I go smaller, or do the bigger dots look alright?

Watch this
bt92130

I think I'd prefer the dots to be smaller, but I'm not entirely sure. Post one with smaller dots so that everyone can see please :)

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

If it's the old 3D look you're going for, try it with just red and blue, no black.

JessiLeigh

Alright, 3 different versions, Thoughts?

Original dots on left, smaller dots on right. I zoomed in because you can't see the dots well in the small pictures. Same dots, but designed without the black. Original two versions with only difference is the colors, tried it without the black like FoodStampDavis suggested.

Manupix

These are not true halftones: all dots are the same size but variable value. True halftones dots do the opposite: single value, variable size, whether they are a printing necessity for gradients or just a cool-looking design thing.

You should only use them in the gradients anyway, such as the tie and shadows; it makes no sense applying them uniformly everywhere.

There are tutos about how to make them in PS. The above example is from a Gimp tuto.

A pet peeve of mine is the cyan-red fake anaglyph gimmick that's just everywhere (except when it's true 3D, which is like never!). My opinion doesn't matter, but viewers are likely going to get pretty bored of the 100s occurrences to be expected in a 3D challenge!

My favorite so far is the black version.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

A pet peeve of mine is the cyan-red fake anaglyph gimmick that's just everywhere (except when it's true 3D, which is like never!). My opinion doesn't matter, but viewers are likely going to get pretty bored of the 100s occurrences to be expected in a 3D challenge!

Ugh this.

JessiLeigh
Manupix said:

These are not true halftones: all dots are the same size but variable value. True halftones dots do the opposite: single value, variable size, whether they are a printing necessity for gradients or just a cool-looking design thing.

You should only use them in the gradients anyway, such as the tie and shadows; it makes no sense applying them uniformly everywhere.

There are tutos about how to make them in PS. The above example is from a Gimp tuto.

My favorite so far is the black version.

I know it's not a true halftone, I just didn't know what else to call it. But thanks for the tutorial, I think I'll try applying that instead and see if it looks better than the dot-image thing I had going (stippling dots? I don't think that's right either, ugh, I guess I'll just call it "dotty" for now :s)

JessiLeigh

Yep, this definitely looks better in my opinion. Thanks Manupix. As you can see I also decided it needed more 'shading' areas to look right.

Here are the two different color versions I'm deciding on now before I move on, the one with black and the one with blue. I think I'm leaning towards the black on the right. And here's close up to show texture:

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

I don't like manipulated photos of people, even if it is as awesome as the best doctor ever.

No account?