Close
One second...

WHERE ARE YOU FROM AND WHY DOES IS INSPIRE YOU?

Just curious to know where people are from on here and if it inspires them? Do you live in a city where you draw inspiration from architecture and crazy bums touching themselves on subways or do you live in a suburban or rural area where trees, mountains, long roads, and animal life give you a creative boner? Post pics is you can

Watch this
brennanpearson

I'm going to college at College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO, which is a big tourist spot in the central US. Thus, I see a ton of funny and odd people when they roll into town. I also lifeguard at a pool in the area, which gives me plenty of time to reflect on designs and ideas. The resort where the pool is sits right next to a lake, so a great bit of land is undeveloped and looks beautiful. And I typically work the evening shifts at the pool which allows me to see some of the most amazing sunsets.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

I live in the suburbs in a desert 300 miles away from places I'd rather be. I guess that could be why I tend to visit angry youth and fantasy stuff.

NDTank
NDTank profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Stole these off my Instagram real quick. I'm a bit biased but I think t's a rather beautiful place to call home.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Sarasota, FL. Lived here all my life. Parts of it are really beautiful. I don't think I pull any inspiration from it though.

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

Arlington, Texas. right by the stadiums

i would say Texas and its history have inspired some of my work, but not really my immediate surroundings.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Ew, I'm not posting pictures of my boner

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I'm from Grimsby, England - a town renowned for serial killers, lottery winners, fish and teenage pregnancy. I wish it inspired me...

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I now live in Vienna, Austria - a beautiful city known for its exquisite pastries, culture and Hitlers.

If I were to draw common inspiration from the two, my subs would be mass murder and fishcake based I guess.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
Morkki said:

Ew, I'm not posting pictures of my boner

Just the tip?

dnice25
1 design submitted -
Bramish said:

I now live in Vienna, Austria - a beautiful city known for its exquisite pastries, culture and Hitlers.

If I were to draw common inspiration from the two, my subs would be mass murder and fishcake based I guess.

lol

gasponce

I live in Greece but my mom is from England so I have both sides deeply influencing everything about me! I live relatively close to Plaka which is like downtown Athens near the Acropolis but I'm also quite close to the beach too! About an hour's drive. So have some pics! (the bottom one is mine!)

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

I live in a small town in the north west of England. Nothing much happens here, there are lots of old black and white buildings from the 14th century so we get lots of tourists. It doesn't really inspire me, but living so close to the countryside got me interested in nature which led me to start drawing, so I guess that counts.

artechin

I am from Mexico but ended somehow in Canada with my partner in crime... I tend to draw girls with wide hips and small clothes, maybe because I grew up in a tropical area and I was surrounded by almost naked people 24/7? Also my other little muse is my dog, Fred <3

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I was born and bred in Rockford, IL. It's a filthy, crime-ridden, economically devastated city on the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. It consistently makes Top 10 lists of many national publications and news outlets, such as: Most Dangerous Most Dangerous (Again) Most Miserable Fattest

Come to think of it, it probably influences my art quite a bit.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Back in Guatemala, my family made a living by making dolls dressed to look like the indigenous people still living in Guatemala. We sold these dolls at the airport and other stores frequented by tourists. These dolls were a form of art, requiring a huge amount of sewing (by machine and hand), tailoring, and crafting. Plus, they allowed us to be in frequent contact with all all the items by different artists sold at the same store. In short, I was surrounded by art from a very early age, and I carry with me those memories and lessons everyday

gasponce
FoodStampDavis said:

I was born and bred in Rockford, IL. It's a filthy, crime-ridden, economically devastated city on the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. It consistently makes Top 10 lists of many national publications and news outlets, such as: Most Dangerous Most Dangerous (Again) Most Miserable Fattest

lol! yeah I'm pretty sure we are part of some lists too :/

taz-pie

cape town, south africa.

ridiculously gorgeous. lovely. wonderful. heartbreaking. infuriating. wonderful.

dnice25
1 design submitted -
FoodStampDavis said:

FoodStampDavis said:

Makes sense lol

nidya

I'm from Indonesia, a country with incredible cultural heritage and potential paradise spreads all over but made hell at least politically. Currently I live in a small city in North-West France, it's calm and it rains a lot here. I'm planning to go back to my country pretty soon though, but I'll probably work on moving somewhere else again as soon as I get the chance (not sure what I'm doing with my life).

Unfortunately as hard as I try to get inspired from where I'm from / am/ have been, it never really works out that way, not consciously at least. I'm kinda ashamed of this.

taz-pie
taz-pie said:

cape town, south africa.

ridiculously gorgeous. lovely. wonderful. heartbreaking. infuriating. wonderful.

some highlights and lowlights in no particular order:

bonus for the bizarre

gasponce
taz-pie said:

cape town, south africa.

seems this can be true for so many places rn :/

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I grew up in the woods in Tennessee, and now I live in Philadelphia, and it's weird, man.

I don't do art really, but I write, and the city has introduced to a much more diverse tableau, which is neat, and expanded my knowledge of people beyond mostly white, Christian, and republican. But now I feel cramped, and I just want to go back to the woods.

sugarhai

I live in Seattle, I love it here, I'm in a big city with crazy bums but I can also be in a huge old growth forest within 15 minutes by foot.

I become inspired after drinking coffee, black coffee is somehow more inspiring, that and a walk in the forest, Puget Sound, the mountains, the islands, the rain...

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:
taz-pie said:

cape town, south africa.

bonus for the bizarre

Yolandi's bit from enter the ninja is a regular ear worm of mine. Did you ever see The Moaning of Life when Karl went to Johannesburg and Cape Town? They put him up in a crazy expensive hotel with a beautiful view.

JaymeArt

I moved from Houston, to a small coastal town. (still in Texas)
Neither location has really inspired my art. Not that Ive noticed anyway.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I've from a small crappy seaside town in the south west of England (Plymouth) it rains an inordinate amount, has horrific post war brutalist architecture and narrow minded locals. Its also surrounded by pretty countryside, fantastic beaches and is most famous for being the departure of the pilgrim fathers.

I live in London now, which is super busy, diverse, full of culture and the arts. But most of the time I'm just in my house in the 'burbs. I think London as well as having museums and galleries has great ambient visual culture in street posters, architecture and people. Not sure that its present in my work though.

taz-pie
quick-brown-fox said:

Yolandi's bit from enter the ninja is a regular ear worm of mine. Did you ever see The Moaning of Life when Karl went to Johannesburg and Cape Town? They put him up in a crazy expensive hotel with a beautiful view.

yohhh i just got lost on youtube watching a bunch of moaning of life. have never seen it before! kenny kunene (the sushi arsehole) is a bit of a local legend. gross.

as an aside, the local name for those 3 tall buildings in the background of the photo is "the tampon towers." they are hideous circular flats, and the wind howls throught them. what an eyesore.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:
quick-brown-fox said:

yohhh i just got lost on youtube watching a bunch of moaning of life. have never seen it before! kenny kunene (the sushi arsehole) is a bit of a local legend. gross.

as an aside, the local name for those 3 tall buildings in the background of the photo is "the tampon towers." they are hideous circular flats, and the wind howls throught them. what an eyesore.

Priceless local info. Taz's Tours

taz-pie
Wharton said:

Priceless local info. Taz's Tours

here are some local tips regarding African Time:

Now - means it'll get done soon enough, maybe even 'now'.

Now-now - means soon enough - not quite in days, but certainly not now.

Just-now - maybe today, maybe never.

Also, if you are into insults:

Voetsek means fuck off.

Naai means to fuck.

Jou ma se poes - literally "your mother's vagina." Often yelled by drunk insane street people in the middle of the night. Stay classy, Cape Town.

Day V
Bramish said:

I moved to Vienna about a year ago. A tourist once seriously asked me where he could find the Hitler statues, and i was like WTF!? It's not 1943 anymore! LUCKILY!

Before moving to Vienna I had 18 years to grow up somewhere in the Austrian alps. But my inspiration comes either from things that I really like or from things that just piss me off, and I encountered both kinds anywhere I went so far.

gasponce

Mindblowing stuff!

Chipmnk

I live in San Diego. I guess for other people it's great, and it certainly has its beauty, but it lacks a centerness that I crave and it is filled with bros and the longer I am here, the more I'm realizing it's not where I belong.

So it's not a particularly inspiring place, but that means I tend to go out of my way to seek things that are "different," which essentially means anything that isn't about surfing.

No account?
Join Us