Close
One second...

Design got rejected... HELP!

So I thought this design was pretty slick but they rejected it, saying "the concept needed more work" or something? I don't know, whatever is on the generic rejection letter they send. Anyway, I was hoping to get some feedback as to why so I can resubmit it to the "Girly" contest they have going on.

Lay it on me guys! I had planned to make a series out of this visual concept so I have a lot of idea riding on making this work. Thanks!

-Dread_Reaper

Watch this
nik.arnoldi

I think it can do without the text, and the design could use something that makes it stand out of the crowd a little more. Maybe some exaggeration in some way, or using more unique or clever symbolism.

Wolfgang8885

I agree with the text. Removing it may work better. Instead of using gradients, use brushes and mess around with them to get a good effect. You can maybe try adding some kind of visual depiction of sound or rock music behind her, but no gradients, or splashes...

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

agreed, could probably do without the text

aaronmcdermott

It's probably the text, they probably thought it was too explicit

Nick_Nightshade

Okay, so I will remove the text and try to work with something other than gradients. I feel like gradients could work, but maybe with like a halftone filter? I also could add something to the background with the same sort of look, maybe an explosion or something rock-star like? I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! If you've got anything else please let me know!

Manupix

This is really not threadlessy :(

thompson98
Manupix said:

taz-pie
thompson98 said:
Manupix said:

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Since this is obviously a live traced photo I'm curious to see the original.

Nick_Nightshade
Morkki said:

Since this is obviously a live traced photo I'm curious to see the original.

It's actually about 7-8 different photos that I cobbled together before applying a series of filters to to get this affect. The arms, the hair, the face, the legs, the boots, the guitar, they all came from different sources.

Manupix said:

So despite how long I've been on here I am actually not sure what qualifies something as "threadlessy" or not. What would you recommend to make this design more "threadlessy?

Thanks all!

Nick_Nightshade

Okay, so I went and changed it up quite a bit. Removed the text and gradients, added some cool background stuff, and I think this is a much better version. Thoughts?

Wolfgang8885

Sorry but this seems worse. Looks sloppy and rough

Nick_Nightshade
Wolfgang8885 said:

Looks sloppy and rough

You're right, I think I went a little overboard on the textures. I think I found a happy medium where the design isn't super plain like it was before, but it still refined looking. Thoughts?

sugarhai

I've not been printed by threadless so my advice may not be worth much but I liked the first one a lot better, I don't like the outline, if you do a background try using just the half-tone dots in a random pattern maybe? Lighter.

It's a cool design, it's nice work, but it doesn't really say anything or stand for anything other than looking cool. I think there has to be a really clear statement or it has to be funny or super whimsical.

I think you can sell this on sites like cafepress.

taz-pie
sugarhai said:

yup. if you believe in this design, just put it up on cafe press. personally i think there is a 0% chance this would print here, and my gut feel is that it is a waste of time continuously tinkering with a no-go design. however if you are just having fun, then go right ahead. but i am pretty sure there will be no $$ at the end of the rainbow.

Nick_Nightshade
taz-pie said:
sugarhai said:

yup. if you believe in this design, just put it up on cafe press. personally i think there is a 0% chance this would print here, and my gut feel is that it is a waste of time continuously tinkering with a no-go design. however if you are just having fun, then go right ahead. but i am pretty sure there will be no $$ at the end of the rainbow.

I have no idea what Cafepress is, but I will look into it.

I wish I knew what was so wrong with this design though. I specifically went at this from the mindset of making something that would be in line with Threadless style. I had originally planned a whole series of these things in a similar style. Is just this design bad or the whole visual concept?

Thanks all. I will probably still submit it since I put all this time into it, but that doesn't mean I can't look into other venues as well like you suggested.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

I think the first version with no background was better. It's not completely awful, but like others have said it's just not threadless-style. I guess that means different things to different people and it's hard to define exactly, but safe to say that pink gradient rocker chick somehow falls outside of that spectrum. Your "Need Coffee" design is a bit closer, in that it's conceptually driven and has a punchline (although not every threadless shirt has a joke or strong concept). Aside from cafe press you can also sell your designs on society6, redbubble, teepublic, DBH (to name a few). Every site has a different culture so you might be able to find a home for your designs that don't work here on other sites. Keep working on your designs and have a closer, objective look at the threadless catalogue until you get more of a feel for what "threadlessy" actually means.

p.nutz

I believe you could just use the image as inspiration for the design. It would be nice if you put more of your own style in it. Starting from the beggining, making some hand drawing, adding interesting details, reinventing the image used as base... That way would give more personality and differential for your design.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Also, your Dread Reaper design is a cool drawing so you obviously have some illustration talent. Just keep at it until you find a way to combine your natural affinities with an approach that will resonate with voters. Have a look at Mathiole's work. He manages to combine darker themes that still work on Threadless because of his approach and style.

farlyfs

the text ruin it!!

Thomas Orrow

Lich Lager looks much better than this.

Nick_Nightshade
opifan64 said:

Also, your Dread Reaper design is a cool drawing so you obviously have some illustration talent. Just keep at it until you find a way to combine your natural affinities with an approach that will resonate with voters. Have a look at Mathiole's work. He manages to combine darker themes that still work on Threadless because of his approach and style.

Thomas Orrow said:

Lich Lager looks much better than this.

I'm glad you like those ones. I guess I just don't see a lot of freehand illustrations getting printed on Threadless, so I tend not to spend much time on them (seems like it's mostly heavy digital work). Maybe I just haven't hit the right subject matter though? I don't know.

Thanks everyone for their input! Due to time constraints I couldn't mess with the design much more, but it did get approved by Threadless this time so here it is if you want to vote on it. Thanks!

<script src="https://loom.threadless.com/designs/@bring-the-ro

No account?