Close
One second...

Horror: tanked!

^ 2.19 Avg Score / 106 scores

^ 2.40 Avg Score / 115 scores

(Original post)

Thinking of resubbing these photography+photoshoppy designs. They previously tanked both here and at DBH (submission pages are gone, both got next to zero votes), not sure why.

Worth reworking? Tell me what you think!

Watch this
gasponce

the first is a little dark to be understandable imo- of course I sometimes miss the point of stuff lol! The second I like the execution and style but don't know what it's supposed to be.

gasponce

I mean I know it's a scull but it looks like it's made of charcoal? or wood? not sure!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I really like the first one but I am not sure if there is a concept. Concepts seem to be important in most contests these days.

Manupix

Thanks guys!

There's no concept to speak of, other than visually, a vague idea of death and decay and scary things.

gasponce said:

I mean I know it's a scull but it looks like it's made of charcoal? or wood? not sure!

It's an old rusty saw blade, with added texture. Maybe a clean sharp blade would be more readable?

Here's the original first one; I added another layer in the OP, maybe that's unneeded.

gasponce

from the two sculls I prefer the top -first colour. Oh the saw blade was a skull? no I didn't get that! I though it had sthing to do with the "texas chainsaw..." thing but I wasn't get it!

pijaczaj
1 design submitted -

First one is cool but something is missing...

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

I like these.

EN AJUSTES

Maybe you can add some technical/geometric elements to the first one, kinda like EZFL's work, to help build up a stronger concept. I do love the imagery there.

As for the saw, it could have some subtle skull shape made out of rust (or its negative space). That's the only thing that comes to mind about that one.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Print the first one out and trace it with pencil on a separate sheet of paper. Match the lines/shadows as close as possible.

For the second one: You can turn it into a vector then add in halftones/texture.

EN AJUSTES

Haha, EZ himself getting all ninja before my comment.

derrygautama

Second design looks cool!

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I'm really liking the second one. Very cool rust effect. The first one needs something to elevate the concept but Im no good at giving direction :)

Manupix

Thanks guys, all these suggestions are good! Not decided yet on a direction, still looking for the aha! moment.

Manupix

New direction for this one:

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

Ooh nice! What's it look like without the white fringing on the wings?

Manupix

Thanks John! Probably better, still needs a lot of clean up, this is a quick test.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Wowzers, nice work. I like the direction. Only thought now is to make the smoke on the top edges different.; I'd keep it similar but not exactly the same.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Number 1 is looking good, horrific!

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
Wharton said:

Number 1 is looking good, horrific!

Yes, this. Very creative!

Manupix

Thanks guys! Josh, will do =)

Okay did I just go overboard? Needs polishing, better shadows, an overall texture on the new elements of the original kind on the saw blade.

Time for some dinner, then I finish and submit these babes. Short night ahead :S

I have no clear title ideas. Originally, skull guy was Ossa Arida (an obscure reference to the Paris catacombs where the skull is from), thinking of something about dreams or memories being eaten. Saw blade guy was Keep Sharp because it's written on it ;) Ideas?

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

I keep wanting to suggest "needs more blood" every time I see the saw blade!

Manupix

First one pending: Masque of the Red Death. Still no title for the 2nd one.

Manupix

Aaaaand n°2: Masque of the Iron Death ;)

Thanks again for the helpitude! To bed now (soon!)

JessiLeigh
Manupix said:

First one pending: Masque of the Red Death. Still no title for the 2nd one.

I love this!

Manupix

^ thank you =)

Now scoring!

the czar

Great ideas

Manupix

32 and 33 votes after 2 days ;_;

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

awesome ideas!! they all look great.

Manupix

44+45 boohoohoo

Manupix

88+95, 1 day left. Can we make it to 100? No? Okayyyy. You just made Manon cry.

Manupix

Predictable outcome:

2.19 Avg Score / 106 scores

2.40 Avg Score / 115 scores

Thanks all who scored and commented!

No account?
Join Us