The Incredibles design thread

Hey guys!

My first of what will probably be a few designs for The Incredibles challenge, Parr for the Course, is now up for scoring

For my next few designs, I'm going to be trying to stretch my style into some new places, so feedback during the process will be much appreciated.

The new one I'm working on is my Violet character tee. The concept is "The Hero within"-a callback to Violet's arc in the film. I want to do it in shades of purple, but I'm not too sure about the pose quite yet. I'd love your feedback!

Watch this
foursixsix
vanillablue said:

Really like your Parr for the course sub! As for the Violet one, I would maybe rethink the way her body is ending at her pelvic area at the bottom of the V. Maybe move her up or change the V or something?

Completely agreed! Would not want the design to be suggestive in any sense. I think that I can move her up a bit to where you see some of her legs as opposed to the current placement.

Good catch!

foursixsix
quick-brown-fox said:

Why not have her arms raised in a v? (no pearl jam reference intended)

Great idea! Definitely brings out her power and gives me an excuse to add a dramatic light source (I'm a fan of those)

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

fantastic style, love the colors on the first one. I actually like the first violet one a little better, I like the face and the stance is " I'm going to kick your ass " but yeah a little higher away from the V bottom. I understand how the hands raced makes a cool design, but it looses the attitude of the first and looks more evil to me.

Arcorb

I think the first one has the better face, but I like the idea of you doing something with her hands. Maybe you could have her holding them out with little forcefield "orbs" in her palms or something like that. I'm pretty sure she does something like that in the movie.

osaze

I the second idea has a lot of potential, and I like how you repeated the 'v' element in the second sketch (great idea)

foursixsix

Thanks for all the feedback!

So here's a little bit of a work in progress. I saw the potential to do something Mucha-inspired with my own twist, so her orb and the V will frame her as one flat shape, and she will have very subtle, dramatic lighting.

Let me know if anything jumps out at this stage in the process. This one is fully digital, so editing should be pretty easy!

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

My only pointer is that maybe you want to go with simpler lines and shapes on her figure. my one critique of your previous submission is that helen and violet both look a little stiff and buff and you could really avoid that if you base it more off the looser and more fluid lines you had in your sketches

osaze

I totally agree, I prefered the lines in the initial sketch

lxromero said:

My only pointer is that maybe you want to go with simpler lines and shapes on her figure. my one critique of your previous submission is that helen and violet both look a little stiff and buff and you could really avoid that if you base it more off the looser and more fluid lines you had in your sketches

IamRandolphWilliams

You know why I like this stuff, because you're working hard to perfect your own concepts! This is one of those design challenges were people tend to turn in lazy cheap design entries. Many are relying so heavily on the official property commercial art work OR WORSE completely ripping it off but making weaker versions of the originals.

I applaud your work ethic here. These are hours spent perfecting your craft. Feel good about how much you are developing your potential. That's what we all have to do to become stronger artists!

Great stuff here, by the way. Keep up the good work!

Sorry if I got a little long winded :)

foursixsix

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I've actually decided to scrap this pose as a shirt design altogether. I'm working on some new ideas for solo tees for each of the characters, and I'll post up sketches for those here soon.

As far as this Violet, I decided to take her a bit further and will actually be turning this into a collaboration with my fiancé, who will be designing the "V" she will be encased in.

Here's where I took the character:

No account?
Join Us