Close
One second...

Beginners' Block - Questions with Answers (Help)

Hi guys and gals,

I recently joined Threadless and I thought it'd be nice for us to share any questions regarding the potential designs we have to offer if and when we do submit them. Hopefully we can answer any confusions, get some information sorted out fast and simple.

For starters, my question I was wondering about:

If you download fonts, for example, are we allowed to use them in our designs?

Watch this
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Check what the font license is. Many of the fonts available for free download are actually free for personal use only - for commercial use you are expected to donate money to the author.

Blanksmith

I usually use fonts from dafont. I checked the font I downloaded and it says it's free for both personal and commercial use. Thanks for the reply.

Also, if I had to donate, how would I make sure both parties knew of the font's exposure?

Morkki
1 design submitted -

Well, it's an honor system with the donationware fonts really. The packages from dafont should include the author's contact info and preferred donation, usually in a readme file.

Anyway, paid fonts and fonts free for commercial use are safe to use. Many times people prefer hand lettering though!

Blanksmith

I agree! Thanks for the info. Also, as far as submissions go, can we submit more than one potential design for a single contest?

Bohsky
1 design submitted -
Blanksmith said:

I agree! Thanks for the info. Also, as far as submissions go, can we submit more than one potential design for a single contest?

Yes, you can submit several designes for a single contest.

Blanksmith

Awesome! Thank you guys, I appreciate it.

Blanksmith

Another question,

Because I'm using GIMP, I'm having trouble with the "shadows layer" as well as the placement of the ant-lined box for my design on the t-shirt display. I realize there's a GIMP tutorial in the Forums already but for some reason, I can't get all the images to load on the page to see what the steps imply.

Any assistance again is appreciated, please and thank you, Blanksmith

Manupix

No idea about that, but remember you don't have to use the official templates. Any kind of placement mockup will do: you can use these jpeg model templates or make your own.

Blanksmith

Oh, alright. That's nice of you, thanks!

Builder_Roth

Blanksmith, I had the same issue with GIMP. This is what I did: 1. Change the "shadow" layer mode to "multiply". There is a pull-down menu in the layer window to do this. You must select the shadow layer first and then use the pull-down menu. 2. Resize the "ant-lined box" layer you mentioned to fit your needs. I don't think they intend you to fit your design in the little box necessarily. They just wanted to show placement in the template.

I hope this help!

Blanksmith

Thanks for the information Builder_Roth, I'll use it always!

Blanksmith

So I recently had my design declined since the image quality was too low. Threadless suggests I at the least save the image at 150dpi and in exchange make a copy of that same image at 72dpi for submission.

How might I change the dpi amount, for GIMP?

Manupix

Let's get this right: dpi alone is meaningless. What's ok is 'xxx inches at yyy dpi'. On the other hand, a pixel size is absolute and dpi doesn't need to be specified along with it.

Here's how this plays out for TLess:

• Your hi-res design (that would be required for printing) must be at least the final size on the shirt (your choice) at at least 150 dpi, although 300 dpi is a better choice since it would allow larger print afterthoughs, or printing on different media.

• Your submission file must be exactly 1200x1200 pixels. That image is not "a copy of that same image at 72dpi", it's a well thought-out presentation that includes a view of the design and a placement mockup. The design reduction factor depends on the design size and the presentation layout, there's no predetermined recipe. Just make it look good.

I don't know Gimp but there should be some 'image size' command where you'll find what you need.

Blanksmith

I've since then used the templates you linked, and I've also started out with a larger canvas for making the artwork stay at its best quality once resized for the shirt. For reference I've looked at accepted submissions, sporting the design along with it's name and artist's name. From there, I've been solid. Thanks again for the link as well as this new information.

Blanksmith

http://postimg.org/image/yr59vu8hp/

My submission was declined again. I followed the formatting and other instructions but it wasn't enough. Any advice or suggestions? Your help is appreciated :D

Manupix

No you didn't. This is 1279x853 px, must be exactly 1200x1200.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

The image quality is all over the place. Some elements are sharp and others are terribly blurry and pixelated.

Blanksmith

That's strange. I exported the image as a jpeg, and resized it to 1200x1200. Guess I'll resize it in GIMP before exporting next time. As for the quality, I'll have to tweak the other smaller elements. As far as the design goes, is it something you'd like to wear?

Manupix

How could you have resized it, as it's not even close to a square?

Also what Morkki says. Sorry but this is pretty bad. I have no idea what it means, the elements are inconsistent and look like clipart. Did you draw all of these?

Blanksmith

Thank you for saying nothing else other than it's "bad." Yes, I drew them in pen, scanned them for use in GIMP and went from there. From what I have, does the idea work in your eyes?

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

i think the idea here is the problem. What's the concept behind the artwork? Would anyone be able to understand it without being given an explanation? These are important things to consider when you design something meant to be worn because your average viewer or consumer won't have the benefit of a written explanation about the artwork

Blanksmith
lxromero said:

i think the idea here is the problem. What's the concept behind the artwork? Would anyone be able to understand it without being given an explanation? These are important things to consider when you design something meant to be worn because your average viewer or consumer won't have the benefit of a written explanation about the artwork

I do agree; maybe it's the double W's that throw off the viewer or consumer. The three logos per se are not united as much as they should be. I'll have to tweak it more then.

Thanks for the feedback lxromero.

Blanksmith

Another question, under image properties, my image is 3000x3000 pixels which is good, but the printing size is 3x3 inches and I'm not sure why. I don't want my submission to be that length on an actual shirt. Any ideas?

taraembree

Is it possible to replace my original image with one that has some errors fixed up but is not a fancy master file. The FAQ implies that this is possible but I can't find that option anywhere. Thanks for the help!

taraembree

Got it. Emailed threadless help and they will do it via email. Thanks threadless!

Blanksmith
taraembree said:

Got it. Emailed threadless help and they will do it via email. Thanks threadless!

Yeah, that happened to me and they allowed it via email too :)

Another question: How do we attribute authors of images we use in our designs?

No account?