Close
One second...

Help with a girly style tee (Submitted)

Hey y'all. I thought this submission would've done better than it did, and I'd like to rework it for the girly challenge. I know it needs a lot of work (if it didn't, it would've done better), but I've lost inspiration for it. Do you guys see some ways that would improve it? Would a different shirt color make the difference? Is the silhouette readable enough, or too readable? I'd love to hear more thoughts on it.

UP FOR SCORING:

<script src="https://loom.threadless.com/designs/@silhouette-lepidoptera/embed.js?width=100%"></script>

UPDATE:

So I'm still not happy with how the net is shaped, but what do you all think about everything else?

Thanks y'all.

Watch this
parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

i really like this, so i'm not sure how to improve it, maybe try to make the silhouette figure more apparent.

i think this should do better if voters know its just for girly tees, but ya never know.

NDTank
NDTank profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

The silhouette may be a little too subtle...

Other than that, it's very nice.

bygrinstow
bygrinstow profile pic Alumni

Maybe I'm just slow, but I didn't see the silhouette until I read the word silhouette (I was looking at the image first). I was trying to figure out what the butterfly-looking things were...

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm looking at, e.g., there's a line moving up from the net (upper left area) that seems to be part of the silhouette (because the butterflies are tweaked), but I can't figure out what it is meant to be.

What if you had the same basic image, but the butterflies were all butterfly shaped in different sizes, and instead of distorting them to get your silhouette, you had them overlapping where needed... Should make for a more emphatic image, but you can still maintain the sort of lines and lightness that you have.

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni
bygrinstow said:

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm looking at, e.g., there's a line moving up from the net (upper left area) that seems to be part of the silhouette (because the butterflies are tweaked), but I can't figure out what it is meant to be.

Ah, the old butterfly net hook?

I think that's a good suggestion, overlapping some of them. I'm gonna try that out.

Does making the background dark help with the subtlety?

huskynet

The little butterfly between his legs is a bit weird. I see the silhouette way quicker with a dark background... but I don't like it as much? Idk.

vanillablue
vanillablue profile pic Staff
bygrinstow said:

Maybe I'm just slow, but I didn't see the silhouette until I read the word silhouette (I was looking at the image first). I was trying to figure out what the butterfly-looking things were...

Same.

Even with the darker background I'm still not getting it...I see it's a child but what is he holding?

vanillablue

I do love the colors in the original sub. It's pretty even if I didn't see the silhouette.

wowrainbows

see it's a child but what is he holding?

It's supposed to be a butterfly net!

vanillablue
wowrainbows said:

see it's a child but what is he holding?

It's supposed to be a butterfly net!

Derp! I don't know why I didn't make that connection! I am slow today.

wowrainbows

I think a lot of people missed that, actually!

cshimala
cshimala profile pic Staff

I didn't see the silhouette until you mentioned. I see it clearly on navy. Maybe the net needs some movement? The boy is running but it's just hanging straight down.

Wolfgang8885

Yeah, I saw the silhouette much faster on the dark bg, but like husky, i dont like it on dark...

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

The gradient from orange to red is making the silhouette harder for me to read. I like the gradient effect but maybe the shift in luminosity should be smaller. And maybe add a few more smaller butterflies around the main image.

wowrainbows

So I'm still not happy with how the net is shaped, but what do you all think about everything else?

OneWeirdDude
huskynet said:

The little butterfly between his legs is a bit weird. I see the silhouette way quicker with a dark background... but I don't like it as much? Idk.

What? Don't you have a little butterfly between your legs? Jeez. Throwing stones in a glass house, I see!

Also yeah, the silhouette needs to be a bit more defined. I too missed the net at first!

Other than that, still very nice.

huskynet
OneWeirdDude said:

What? Don't you have a little butterfly between your legs? Jeez. Throwing stones in a glass house, I see!

Haha I know him personally and was teasing him about this earlier.

Anyway, I like the whole composition a ton more. The net is a bit weird. Maybe if it was hanging straight down? Maybe not. Idk!

wowrainbows

Yeah, I can't figure out how to make it look right. I like the pointy net better too, but it looks too much like a flag.

bygrinstow
bygrinstow profile pic Alumni

What about a non-distorted butterfly in the middle of the silhouette for the net?

And to get away from the flag-looking-ness, what about a different pose altogether? Less marching with a net on the shoulder, more running with the net swooping overhead...?

wowrainbows
bygrinstow said:

What about a non-distorted butterfly in the middle of the silhouette for the net?

And to get away from the flag-looking-ness, what about a different pose altogether? Less marching with a net on the shoulder, more running with the net swooping overhead...?

Yeah, that's a really great idea.

For the second part... I'M TOO LAZY!

Wolfgang8885

Looks much clearer now. :) Cool design.

flwrs

Love it!

huskynet

Much better

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

WOW

No account?