Close
One second...

Let's talk art style!!!

I know it's easier to develop a fan base if you stick to one style but it's hard to do when I know there are a million ways to create something.

Do you prefer to stick to one style or do you like to experiment?

Watch this
Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

I prefer to stick with 100% macaroni pictures

wullagaru
wullagaru profile pic Alumni

non stick is nice but its hard to get a good sear

that said yeah I have my style that I use and if people dont like it i dont like them

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

I don't know how much style factors into developing a fan base as much as producing good work does. or at least making stuff that people like. style's a weird thing to think of anyways.

mreisel
mreisel profile pic Alumni

I try to match the style to the concept. At least I try to. If I had a fan base I wouldn't want their following or not following tied to a particular style.

rskinner1122
rskinner1122 profile pic Alumni

I'm not sure if I tend to stick to one style. I just create designs that I love and I hope others also do.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
mike bautista said:

I don't know how much style factors into developing a fan base as much as producing good work does. or at least making stuff that people like. style's a weird thing to think of anyways.

Yeah producing good work does but I would say your style factors in also. Your visual aesthetic represents you as an artist somewhat. One person may like to work very detailed or another very simple or working in finger paints. Style isn't weird to think of because some of these challenges basically ask that of you. Design something Art Nouveau, or Lowbrow, or Try a New Style.

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I'm definitely a fan of style, and in these past few months I've developed a style of working both graphically (for shirts) and for digital painting. I used to jump around to all sorts of different approaches, but once I got into this new one, I haven't looked back. I think it really helps to have a cohesive voice for a number of reasons. But most importantly, I have a blast doing it every time, so that's why I don't see myself changing it anytime soon. I'd be happy to have the style define my work for a long time to come.

There are a few things I think influenced my decision on my style. The number one thing was the desire to not have everything so perfect all the time. I'm not a big fan of perfectly rendered, very digital looking work, so I like that tactile & physical look of something that has 'mistakes' in it. Approaching work like this, I also save a bunch of time since I can work more loosely. It keeps the workflow strong and active, and I never really get to a point in a piece where I feel like I spend time doing mindless, boring rendering. It's always fun!

wullagaru

for me my style developed over a couple of years not consciously but organically, in a way in reaction to peoples comments about my work.

RonanL

Yea - that's never fun. But I don't really think of it as doing the same thing over and over again. It's not really forced, it's just what happens now when I make something. A persons style is nothing more than a means to an end - the technique they feel is the best way to work. I personally think you can keep things fresh through what you draw, instead of how.

dnice25
RonanL said:

I'm definitely a fan of style, and in these past few months I've developed a style of working both graphically (for shirts) and for digital painting. I used to jump around to all sorts of different approaches, but once I got into this new one, I haven't looked back. I think it really helps to have a cohesive voice for a number of reasons. But most importantly, I have a blast doing it every time, so that's why I don't see myself changing it anytime soon. I'd be happy to have the style define my work for a long time to come.

There are a few things I think influenced my decision on my style. The number one thing was the desire to not have everything so perfect all the time. I'm not a big fan of perfectly rendered, very digital looking work, so I like that tactile & physical look of something that has 'mistakes' in it. Approaching work like this, I also save a bunch of time since I can work more loosely. It keeps the workflow strong and active, and I never really get to a point in a piece where I feel like I spend time doing mindless, boring rendering. It's always fun!

I like your new style dude, it works!!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I have a certain style that I did not think it was printable on t-shirts. I tried to modify my style for t-shirt production to some extent. It is interesting because with my "Speed is Relative" I decided to submit my style for the hell of it. Ever since it got printed I have been submitting more stuff in that style.

This all said, I have been told by many Illustration Agents that while they respected my style they didn't think they had a market for it.

RonanL

Musarter - have you tried doing anything with your T-Time design? It's not just one of my favorite Threadless subs I've seen - I think it might be one of my favorite illustrations ever. Do you sell it anywhere?

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni

i'd concentrate on good ideas and execution. style will come later. style might come from good ideas and execution.

wullagaru
RonanL said:

Yea - that's never fun. But I don't really think of it as doing the same thing over and over again. It's not really forced, it's just what happens now when I make something. A persons style is nothing more than a means to an end - the technique they feel is the best way to work. I personally think you can keep things fresh through what you draw, instead of how.

all of this gets a yes from me

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni
dnice25 said:
mike bautista said:

Yeah producing good work does but I would say your style factors in also. Your visual aesthetic represents you as an artist somewhat. One person may like to work very detailed or another very simple or working in finger paints. Style isn't weird to think of because some of these challenges basically ask that of you. Design something Art Nouveau, or Lowbrow, or Try a New Style.

I say style is a weird thing to think about because as it does come to represent you, your "style" is just a natural extension of yourself. you'll come around to something organically, whether you're thinking of doing it or not. there's a few ways to define style, but I think a lot of times some people approach it in a way that makes it some face value thing, when it's more of an all-encompassing thing that shows how you approach and problem-solve.

like Nick said:

nickv47 said:

i'd concentrate on good ideas and execution. style will come later. style might come from good ideas and execution.

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni
nickv47 said:

This! Style comes out by itself in the long run

dnice25
mike bautista said:
dnice25 said:
mike bautista said:

I say style is a weird thing to think about because as it does come to represent you, your "style" is just a natural extension of yourself. you'll come around to something organically, whether you're thinking of doing it or not. there's a few ways to define style, but I think a lot of times some people approach it in a way that makes it some face value thing, when it's more of an all-encompassing thing that shows how you approach and problem-solve.

like Nick said:

nickv47 said:

I understand that your style is something organic but trying to develop a new visual by experimenting is something I do. I can see my work and how I've developed it and say how can I evolve from this? Maybe if I experiment working in a different way I can create something with a different look.

A persons personality is something that develops organically but it doesn't mean you shouldn't reflect on it and the many elements. Maybe there are things you want to improve on? Maybe I want to be more outgoing? less sloppy? more aggressive? Your art style is similar and maybe there are elements you want to change or improve on even if it's organic.

JaymeArt
gebe said:
nickv47 said:

This! Style comes out by itself in the long run

I agree. Ideas and execution. but Ive been at it a while and still nooo consistent, observable style -that I notice.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
RonanL said:

Musarter - have you tried doing anything with your T-Time design? It's not just one of my favorite Threadless subs I've seen - I think it might be one of my favorite illustrations ever. Do you sell it anywhere?

Thanks man, that means a lot. I did put it on Soceity6, and hoped it would get noticed by them; from my experience on Redbubble and S6 nothing sells unless it is featured. Didn't happen but that's how it goes sometimes. It did sell fast in Adam's Store which is awesome.

osaze
nickv47 said:

True! i dont think i have a particular style. i just try to execute my designs to best of my abilities

pijaczaj

My goal is to have like 3-4 styles. One cute, one realistic, one my own that noone ever saw anything similar, and maybe something else. But well, priorities, First I have to learn how to draw really well 8)

DriedUpPens

I don't even know if I have a style

No account?
Join Us