Close
One second...

threadless staff. can i ask something?

which do you prioritize/prefer in selecting a winning design on a certain challenge. a design that can be printed on screen or a design that can only be printed on a direct to garment printer?

Watch this
melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

I'm not a staff member, but I presume there answer will be either, as long as it's a design that they think will sell like hot cakes.

graphiczel
melmike said:

I'm not a staff member, but I presume there answer will be either, as long as it's a design that they think will sell like hot cakes.

^he is right! :) he might not be a staff.. but, he is ALUMNI-NATI

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Challenge winning designs are nearly always screen printed. Additional designs from sponsored challenges are often DTG (Marvel, most of Simpsons) but may be screened for technical reasons (Shudder and Homer J-1000 from the Simpsons for example) and sometimes they're all screen printed, like in the Nickelodeon challenge.

vanillablue

A design challenge winning design is always screen printed.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
vanillablue said:

You say this but I am fairly certain my Sesame Street design is DTG. Is it safe to assume if a design has all sizes available with no numbers left that the design is DTG? I always assumed numbers in the available area indicated Screen-printed and no numbers indicated DTG.

Morkki

If it has that "special return policy" it's DTG. No numbers can also mean more than 100 (or something like that) in stock.

vanillablue
Musarter said:
vanillablue said:

You say this but I am fairly certain my Sesame Street design is DTG. Is it safe to assume if a design has all sizes available with no numbers left that the design is DTG? I always assumed numbers in the available area indicated Screen-printed and no numbers indicated DTG.

Yes, I stand corrected. Your Sesame design challenge winner is DTG.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

Our prioritization is in finding the best design of the challenge. Printing methods can be a challenge but it's something we always work with our printers to execute properly.

DTG is mainly used for MADE Shops, or themed challenges with larger collections

Lye-Lye

so if you got two equally good design (one that can be printed on screen and the other on DTG) you will always choose the screen? am i right?

Morkki

There's not a lot that can't be screen printed

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
Lye-Lye said:

so if you got two equally good design (one that can be printed on screen and the other on DTG) you will always choose the screen? am i right?

Its a bit of a silly question really. Why would you print a crappier design just because of printing issues? That would be the ultimate laziness and counter-productive to your business.

Lye-Lye
Wharton said:
Lye-Lye said:

Its a bit of a silly question really. Why would you print a crappier design just because of printing issues? That would be the ultimate laziness and counter-productive to your business.

you did'nt get me

Morkki

Can you provide an example of a design you think could only be printed on DTG? Or find a design in the Threadless catalog you think is DTG only because it couldn't be screen printed? You see, screen printing can really do a lot and even if a design could be easier to print on DTG, Threadless will probably see if it can be done with screens. DTG also has size limitations, they don't feel as nice as screen printed shirts and can be more expensive to make. Going with DTG in Threadless' case is not usually because of technical reasons, it's more about their logistics and business model. DTG shirts are printed on demand and there's a long queue to the printers. You often have to wait a week or two to get a DTG shirt processed but screen printed shirts off the shelf are usually sent in a few days.

No account?
Join Us