Close
One second...

Can I submit a graphic if I used a reference to draw it ?

Hi everyone!
I'm new here , and I'm also new in the graphic field. I usually , but not always, use some reference to draw my illustrations. Sometimes it is pretty clear the fact that I used a certain picture, and I don't know how to act in this situation. Of course there is no problem if is from a picture taken by me, or by someone I can agree before submitting online. But what it happens when the reference pic is from a photograph in a newspaper? What should I do ?
Usually I post credit if I submit the picture, but I think it's different in the case I use the picture to earn something.

Please let me know how should I act in the particular situation of threadless!!

Thanks everyone,
and sorry for my bad english!

Watch this
lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

For reference photos you should look into creative commons images. That way you're not running into the pesky copyright issue.

StrayCat_GFX

Hi there!

Depends how much you've changed. If its more of a manipulation, like the Obama hope poster, it's illegal (they sued the guy who made the poster).

But if it's just a reference, it's probably OK. There's no general rule, though, copyright is a pretty grey area.

Momech
StrayCat_GFX said:

Hi there!

Depends how much you've changed. If its more of a manipulation, like the Obama hope poster, it's illegal (they sued the guy who made the poster).

But if it's just a reference, it's probably OK. There's no general rule, though, copyright is a pretty grey area.

Yeah, I still can't believe they won that case. For me he (Fairey) definitely made enough changes from the reference to make the image his own. I kind of wonder where it leaves artists and reference imagery today?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Momech said:
StrayCat_GFX said:

Hi there!

Yeah, I still can't believe they won that case. For me he (Fairey) definitely made enough changes from the reference to make the image his own. I kind of wonder where it leaves artists and reference imagery today?

Nobody "won" that copyright case, it was settled out of court. Fairey got fined and a probation but that was for destroying evidence, not for copyright infringement.

No account?
Join Us