Close
One second...

Can I submit a graphic if I used a reference to draw it ?

Hi everyone!
I'm new here , and I'm also new in the graphic field. I usually , but not always, use some reference to draw my illustrations. Sometimes it is pretty clear the fact that I used a certain picture, and I don't know how to act in this situation. Of course there is no problem if is from a picture taken by me, or by someone I can agree before submitting online. But what it happens when the reference pic is from a photograph in a newspaper? What should I do ?
Usually I post credit if I submit the picture, but I think it's different in the case I use the picture to earn something.

Please let me know how should I act in the particular situation of threadless!!

Thanks everyone,
and sorry for my bad english!

Watch this
StrayCat_GFX

Hi there!

Depends how much you've changed. If its more of a manipulation, like the Obama hope poster, it's illegal (they sued the guy who made the poster).

But if it's just a reference, it's probably OK. There's no general rule, though, copyright is a pretty grey area.

Momech
StrayCat_GFX said:

Hi there!

Depends how much you've changed. If its more of a manipulation, like the Obama hope poster, it's illegal (they sued the guy who made the poster).

But if it's just a reference, it's probably OK. There's no general rule, though, copyright is a pretty grey area.

Yeah, I still can't believe they won that case. For me he (Fairey) definitely made enough changes from the reference to make the image his own. I kind of wonder where it leaves artists and reference imagery today?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Momech said:
StrayCat_GFX said:

Hi there!

Yeah, I still can't believe they won that case. For me he (Fairey) definitely made enough changes from the reference to make the image his own. I kind of wonder where it leaves artists and reference imagery today?

Nobody "won" that copyright case, it was settled out of court. Fairey got fined and a probation but that was for destroying evidence, not for copyright infringement.

No account?
Join Us