Close
One second...

Have you been to your local Target lately?

Hey guys, as most of you from the good 'ol US of A (and Canada!) know already, Target is now selling the Threadless Greeting cards that we made in association with Recycled Paper Greetings. They even have their own bitchin' display!

I was curious, how do they look at your local Target? Are they sold out? Have you bought one for your parents? You really should...

The few Target stores I've been to here in Chicago seem to be pretty sold out and we wanted to see if that was because Threadless is a local business or if this was the case in other stores elsewhere.

Write here, let us know!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
gasponce
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Awww sweeeet!!! looks fabulous! yay threadless!

[+duracell-]

I shall try to take a pic of mine this weekend and post it

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

I have to return a few things at Target this weekend. I'll check out the card section while i'm there.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
8 designs submitted - Score now!

several friends have posted pics on my fb page of this...it's pretty awesome :D

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

I saw a setup in a couple of Targets. they's some thick, nice cardstock.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

recycled paper, man. It's the best stuff.

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni

I bought a card for my girlfriend, but it wasn't too long after they first stocked them, so nothing had sold out yet.

Wolfgang8885

That's so awesome! Is Threadless going to continue their brand at Target? Or is this just a one time thing? I would love to design greeting cards and see them there one day.

lxromero
Wolfgang8885 said:

That's so awesome! Is Threadless going to continue their brand at Target? Or is this just a one time thing? I would love to design greeting cards and see them there one day.

That's not something I would know first-hand but like anything else, if it does well you never know :)

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff
Wolfgang8885 said:

It's ongoing. I'm trying to write copy for some existing designs right now! There's a greeting card template in the ongoing challenge, so you can submit at any time.

Wolfgang8885
karaed said:
Wolfgang8885 said:

It's ongoing. I'm trying to write copy for some existing designs right now! There's a greeting card template in the ongoing challenge, so you can submit at any time.

Omg awesome, ill start designing right away! lol

Wolfgang8885

Can someone post the link to the Greeting Card Template? Can't find it.

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni
Wolfgang8885 said:

Can someone post the link to the Greeting Card Template? Can't find it.

Here

JohnArends

That's awesome! Wish there was a Target in the UK :/

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni
karaed said:
Wolfgang8885 said:

Just make it so every card reads "Fuck you" inside.

Work smarter not harder.

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

I can help with copy if you want...

lxromero
5eth said:

I bought a card for my girlfriend, but it wasn't too long after they first stocked them, so nothing had sold out yet.

Sweet!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

This should be on a card. WINK

aqsmorningview

well i guess im going to have to buy some of those greeting cards and put them on my fridge

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

AWESOME ! :)

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

I was blown away by the display at my local Targetz.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

And a bit jealous, but mostly proudz!

AnthonyMoore
1 design submitted -

I just got back from buying a Threadless birthday card in a Target in Rochester (NY)! I believe at least 5 were sold out with some having very few left. So many great options to choose from! :)

lxromero
AnthonyMoore said:

I just got back from buying a Threadless birthday card in a Target in Rochester (NY)! I believe at least 5 were sold out with some having very few left. So many great options to choose from! :)

Sweet! That's good to know

[+duracell-]

Did a little detective work this morning:

Sorry, pic so blurry. Click for bigger.
This is at the Target in Cockeysville, MD.

As you can see, there are a few doubles in there. I assume that is an indication of some cards being sold out. Which ones, I dunno. I didnt bother to check each slot. But now that I look at it, I spy an I Love You This Much T-Rex that got lost.

Anyway, love the display. You couldnt get any better real estate for these cards man. You can see this from back at the checkout lines. Cardstock is as good as it needs to be. Price seems spot on. Only thing that bothers me (a little).. is that I feel like some of the messages could be a little more imaginative. I mean, simple is good..i prefer simple. I just..I dont know if the artists are writing these and we're just not all word-smiths or..?? Maybe its intentional to try to appeal to the masses, i get it. But at the same time I feel like, if you wanted to, you could have someone like AndrewStamps sit down one afternoon and bang out some clever stuff that would have me rollin'. So you know, the potential is there. Also, maybe after these take off and you settle in you'll have more creative license to use a few of the more detailed designs. Because it seems to me thats where threadless' strength lies - the artwork. Stuff that might not be immediately obvious to use for a greeting card but could work when paired with the right words. Good luck!

[+duracell-]

Oh yeah, picked up Dog Drunkard for the wife. Such a romantic am i.

[+duracell-]

aaannd, it looks like those dummies hung the blue arrow section of the display upside down :I

lxromero
[+duracell-] said:

You made that place up...

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni

I see the wiener is sold out! Good to see. When will they re-stock it? :D

[+duracell-]
lxromero said:
[+duracell-] said:

Well technically its listed as Timonium Target. But the street address has it in Cockeysville. Timonium is really south of Cockeysville.

[+duracell-]

York Galleria Target - York, PA

Bought the last David Olenick t-rex :D
solds out!

BeanePod
Shadyjibes said:

Go Wieners GO!

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

It was surreal to see this in person. The nearest Target is about an hour away, but I stopped in to see it on my vacation.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
[+duracell-] said:Only thing that bothers me (a little).. is that I feel like some of the messages could be a little more imaginative. I mean, simple is good..i prefer simple. I just..I dont know if the artists are writing these and we're just not all word-smiths or..?? Maybe its intentional to try to appeal to the masses, i get it. But at the same time I feel like, if you wanted to, you could have someone like AndrewStamps sit down one afternoon and bang out some clever stuff that would have me rollin'. So you know, the potential is there.

Agree. The artists aren't the ones writing the interior messages (at least not in my case). Myself, I like the idea of blank inside, but otherwise, if there's anything of mine going forward, I'd LOVE to write the inside and/or do the typography. That would be a great way to make a cool thing even cooler - if the entire product reflected the Threadless vibe instead of just the front. But, no idea how practical it is logistically with so many artists involved.

lxromero said:
[+duracell-] said:

I grew up in MD, I can vouch that's a real place.

[+duracell-] said:

Bought the last David Olenick t-rex :D
solds out!

thx man!

Kellabell9
Kellabell9 profile pic Alumni

I revisited the Minneapolis one the other day (the top photo with the ambiguous man/woman in the background) the whole section is cleaned out... Good job guys!

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff
DRO72 said:
[+duracell-] said:Only thing that bothers me (a little).. is that I feel like some of the messages could be a little more imaginative. I mean, simple is good..i prefer simple. I just..I dont know if the artists are writing these and we're just not all word-smiths or..?? Maybe its intentional to try to appeal to the masses, i get it. But at the same time I feel like, if you wanted to, you could have someone like AndrewStamps sit down one afternoon and bang out some clever stuff that would have me rollin'. So you know, the potential is there.

Agree. The artists aren't the ones writing the interior messages (at least not in my case). Myself, I like the idea of blank inside, but otherwise, if there's anything of mine going forward, I'd LOVE to write the inside and/or do the typography. That would be a great way to make a cool thing even cooler - if the entire product reflected the Threadless vibe instead of just the front. But, no idea how practical it is logistically with so many artists involved.

A couple things we've learned from this project. Copy that's too quirky or clever or specific won't work very well in a mass market setting like Target. A person picking up the card needs to pretty immediately understand the message. And it needs to be sendable to a wide variety of people, so sometimes simple is the way to go. Blank cards also don't work as well for the mass customer.

David, going forward I'm doing most of the product development (and a lot of the copy) and Jeff is doing the layouts, so we can definitely work with you when we're pitching your designs. So much of your stuff works well for this, so we want you to be happy with the end result.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
karaed said:
DRO72 said:

A couple things we've learned from this project. Copy that's too quirky or clever or specific won't work very well in a mass market setting like Target. A person picking up the card needs to pretty immediately understand the message. And it needs to be sendable to a wide variety of people, so sometimes simple is the way to go. Blank cards also don't work as well for the mass customer.

David, going forward I'm doing most of the product development (and a lot of the copy) and Jeff is doing the layouts, so we can definitely work with you when we're pitching your designs. So much of your stuff works well for this, so we want you to be happy with the end result.

Awesome, that would be perfect if we could bounce it back and forth once or twice before pitching, even if it's just for me to put in my 2 cents. If/when it comes up for new ones (or even if there are reprints) I'd love to e-mail with you and Jeff about some thoughts on what worked great and what I thought could've been cooler. Thanks much!

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff
Shadyjibes said:

Most stores should be restocked by now. I haven't had a chance to check in at the one near HQ yet. Last time I was there over half of the designs were sold out!

[+duracell-]

Oh hai, can we get a status report on how the greeting card sales are going? Is it all working out as/better/worse than you had anticipated? Is there going to be a fall collection? I'm just really curious is all. Mkay, thanks a bunch. :P

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

Bump

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff
[+duracell-] said:

Oh hai, can we get a status report on how the greeting card sales are going? Is it all working out as/better/worse than you had anticipated? Is there going to be a fall collection? I'm just really curious is all. Mkay, thanks a bunch. :P

gonna send this to Kara and see if she can provide some numbers!

BeanePod

was trying to find more of mine and gulshan's card for some friends but they're sold out in all three targets here.....guess that's a good thing though :)

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni

That's great to know! But i guess i'll have to wait for my card :(

karaed
karaed profile pic Staff
jeffreyg said:
[+duracell-] said:

gonna send this to Kara and see if she can provide some numbers!

The section was just replaced by Halloween (already!), so I'm waiting on the official recap of the program. Overall, I know it was successful and we're all really happy with the results. And this will definitely not be the end of Threadless cards. We're working on a bunch of new stuff with existing cards and new designs.

BeanePod said:

was trying to find more of mine and gulshan's card for some friends but they're sold out in all three targets here.....guess that's a good thing though :)

Perry, we have some samples left. Talk to Lucho and he should be able to send you some.

lxromero
BeanePod said:

I can send some your way. You should've just taken them when you were here :P

rossmat8

Was planning to buy Boom! for my mom's birthday bummed to hear they have been taken out already. Was lucky enough to get one to keep before they were gone. Hoping I can get something involved in this the next time around it was unreal to see them in person.

rossmat8

Any updates on this?

Stoma

I was wondering about this. Did Target send the remaining cards to Threadless or to Goodwill?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?