Close
One second...

What Do You Do When You're Having A Creative Block?

I'm having one of those days where I just hate everything that I make, not that usually what I make is great to begin with. It's really frustrating.

Do you have one of those days? If so any advice how to snap out out of it?

Watch this
vectored_life

Typically I do drugs then I'm okay.

jk

Usually I put away the art stuff, whine, eat cereal while watching cartoons, then I actually forget about the creative block. Then I'm fine.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

curl up into a ball and cry

nidya
lxromero said:

curl up into a ball and cry

sounds like I'm already in the right direction

merkinspurlock
merkinspurlock profile pic Alumni

I read somewhere recently that a messy desk helps boost creativity while a clean one stifles it. Fuck some shit up and see what happens?

vectored_life
merkinspurlock said:

I read somewhere recently that a messy desk helps boost creativity while a clean one stifles it. Fuck some shit up and see what happens?

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Take a break and don't think about your project. Your mind needs to rejuvenate and refresh then when you come back more creativity would have grown back lol. I feel like i have only so much creativity given for a day

nidya
merkinspurlock said:

Care to see my desk? it's a miracle if it's ever usable, I even usually just draw on my bed.

I guess I'm gonna go do or not do drugs while eating cereal while curling up into a ball while crying with cartoons on and see how it goes..

May this never happen to any of us anymore thanks for the advice guys :')

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

music. always music.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

I bitch and moan, steam and fume and then take a break to eat way too much chocolate. (chocolate makes the tears not come) Taking a walk is good. Trying to forget all about it for a while usually works the best, when I get back to it, I can see it with new eyes. The trick is in how to forget for a while. Sometimes my brakes last for days, that's not good if there are deadlines, with deadlines in hand it's more of the get really angry and go full steam ahead, hope no one wants to talk to me, oh also I'm of the total silence type - I know weird, but I focus better with no noise. So if I'm frustrated with a piece I'll go around and turn everything I can off.

Hope you get out of the funk

PS chocolate, get more chocolate :)

Lye-Lye

dont toast yourself overworking with it. when youre not in a mood dont force urself, you'll just have a shitty output and end up working at it all over again.

see? it will only be a waste of time and energy and dont forget the stiff necks.. believe me, been through lots of this lately. my surrealism and royal blue shirt entry is not yet finished because of this mood swing fuck!! i only got a couple of days left. sigh

badbasilisk
badbasilisk profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i have an never ending creative block, bro ….

taz-pie

have a wank

JamesArends

Just take a break, go out and see a movie or meet up with friends. "All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy."

nidya

Thanks guys! I'm actually out of it and I have ideas overflowing now, I'm just kind lazy. But hopefully I'll get sth done in a couple of days, or more if I'm lazy

JohnArends

It's normally when your over thinking, taking short naps help clear the mind and absorb information, apparently. :]

heykimby

Trying a new medium always helps me... possibly because I have to leave the house to go to an art/craft store to aquire said medium but you know, whatever works works.

The last thing I tried was needle-felting. It was good. Air dry clay is also cheap and fun (but totes messy).

pijaczaj

"If you wait until you are ready, you can wait the rest of your life" - this helps me.

itsjeyboy
itsjeyboy profile pic Alumni

nidya, this is LEGIT. When I have creative block, i take some keys, lay on my bed and think about the project. When you're half-asleep the keys should fall and wake you, and i swear the ideas are...always awesome:)

nidya
itsjeyboy said:

nidya, this is LEGIT. When I have creative block, i take some keys, lay on my bed and think about the project. When you're half-asleep the keys should fall and wake you, and i swear the ideas are...always awesome:)

This sounds like a brilliant idea. I always get the best ideas while I'm half asleep and then forget about it the next morning. One question though, how are the keys supposed to wake me up? Where do you place them? Cos I'm pretty sure I will reflexly just throw them away somewhere

nidya
itsjeyboy said:

This sounds like a brilliant idea. I always get the best ideas while I'm half asleep and then forget about it the next morning. One question though, how are the keys supposed to wake me up? Where do you place them? Cos I'm pretty sure I will reflexly just throw them away somewhere

fourLTRS

I don't do anything, because I have a creative block - duh.

But seriously, what someone else suggested, a good thing to do is try different mediums and styles and get out of comfort zone. Look at a style or whatever and try to imitate it, you don't have to be exact, along the way you should find more about what you're capable.

Take a break, relax, play a new game, watch a new movie, expose yourself to new things; you're bound to be inspired by something. Just don't be thinking about it; it'll come.

ThatRedBalloon
1 design submitted -

Never heard of it. ..ohh oh is that one thing tht happens to creative people? I guess i will nvr know thn :")

SylvanH

i know exactly what you mean, having it right now. Just ate some yoghurt upside down, i'm ok now

Wolfgang8885

I just pull out a sketch pad and stare at it for a long time, and then ideas pop up. The good ones always stay on paper because they are too elaborate to do by myself, so i water it down to something simpler or move on to another one.

WednesdayCat

Document your dreams. When you have a creative block. Go back to your dreams, and use that fuel of imagination to set a spark to your creative fire.

Wolfgang8885
WednesdayCat said:

Document your dreams. When you have a creative block. Go back to your dreams, and use that fuel of imagination to set a spark to your creative fire.

I had a dream where my cousin put my hamster in a plastic bag and tied a knot, then I punched him in the arm and he started crying.

nidya
WednesdayCat said:

I only remember my nightmares. Last night I dreamt that I was a kid who's a student in this fairy school and we were having a class where they finally teach us how to fly. But for some reasons we couldn't. So the students and the teacher went to the library to do a research, and it was discovered that someone had build a magical web that prevent us to. Suddenly there's a plane that crashed to one of this web in the sky. Everything became so gloom and it started pouring rain.

The dream jumped and suddenly I had to rush biking to a meeting with my friends in this hidden alley underground (it was still pouring rain, lightning bolts everywhere). I made it to this hidden cabin made out of rustic woods with mostly drunk crowds (some crying, some screaming, all dressed in torn clothing) running all around. Anyway our meeting was concluded and while my friends decided to stay, I chose to leave. On the way back I met my other friend, for some reasons we had to run now because it's not safe outside. The rest of it is just murder scene against the enemies.

That's the kind of dream I have, do?t know how to use that for inspiration. It's too weird.

artechin

I go and play with my dog for a while, play games, sketch, listen to music... whatever to have my mind clear for a little while, then I kick my butt mentally and tell myself to work till my hand hurts <3

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

Take out a piece of paper and write down 3 ideas you have right now. Don't draw any of them, don't throw anything out. Give it a day and cross off one of those ideas you don't like. If you don't like any of them make a new list. Any time you cross something off write something new down. Keep going until you have 3 ideas you really really like. Then pick the one you like best and do it. Either that or collab with an idea guy such as goliath72 or soloyo. Or if you like really dumb ideas ask rossmat8 for some.

No account?
Join Us