Close
One second...

WHY.do.A LOT.of.PEOPLE.vote.ONE?!?!!?!?!

This is just a thought that I had recently when I was looking at the votes on my designs.

Why do SO MANY people vote 1??? like when i'm voting I find myself voting 3 4 or 5, if I don't like it and its below a 3 then I just don't vote because if a design is not good I think it's not going to be voted high anyways so there's no reason for me to score it down and put it lower than the rest you know.

I'm finding that i'm probably the only person that thinks like that haha because I see A LOT of the votes on mine anyways are just 1s. Maybe yeah mine may not be great because i'm still a newbie but I feel like people just go around and score 1s on everything so their designs have a better chance of being picked. I don't know haha what do you think?

Watch this
rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

This blog has been made so many times by so many people. 1 is an option for a reason if people don't like a design they can vote it a 1. What gives you the right to say it deserves a 5? The scoring system is what it is so people vote accordingly if you only want to vote 3 or higher you have the freedom to do so.

Ayman_G
rossmat8 said:

This blog has been made so many times by so many people. 1 is an option for a reason if people don't like a design they can vote it a 1. What gives you the right to say it deserves a 5? The scoring system is what it is so people vote accordingly if you only want to vote 3 or higher you have the freedom to do so.

Yeah I guess you're right. im just saying. whatever. onto different designs!

dsds

I also think that if I don't like a work, it's my problem and I don't score it. But it's much better if they score 1s instead of vomiting crap in comments

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

its 1-5 to represent a spectrum of opinions. I give out 1s frequently because I feel the work deserves it. There is a lot of unpolished and ill conceived pieces of work that I think should be awarded a 1. Having 3 as your lowest score doesn't help anyone, if anything it gives people an inflated value of their work and doesn't push them to grow and develop as a creative.

Taking a quick look at your designs I would probably have voted a 2 on most of them. The finish to your work is a bit rough and the ideas themselves aren't particularly strong. It looks like you've generated these design very quickly with few revisions.

As an artist you need to be hard on your work, if you come to places like Threadless looking for praise and not criticism then you are bound to be disappointed, you need to adjust your attitude. You should be searching for criticism and making it your best friend at this stage, its only through feedback that you can improve. Sure its nice to get compliments and praise but it doesn't evolve your work.

Jake Friedman
1 design submitted -

not voting on a bad design is like saying "none of these candidates for president are very good- better not vote!"

taz-pie

fuck you i vote 1 if i wanna.

[+duracell-]
Jake Friedman said:

not voting on a bad design is like saying "none of these candidates for president are very good- better not vote!"

haha, its totally not like that at all

sausage_moe
[+duracell-] said:
Jake Friedman said:

It's more like: "This candidate is shit, so I'll give him a 3..." ;D If a design deserves a 1 (imo: really shit or stolen) it gets one.

EN AJUSTES

I feel like people just go around and score 1s on everything so their designs have a better chance of being picked.

Yeah, apparently, it does happen. But not a lot, and not with the regular people here. Those who do that leave the site inmediatly, because they realize voting 1 on everything else doesn't help them or their designs at all. It doesn't work that way, one person doesn't affect that much what other couple of hundreds have voted, and if it did, it would be affecting all designs equally, so it would still be even. It's really simple: good designs get voted high, bad designs get voted down.

EN AJUSTES

Oh, and there's also the fact that talented people (and not machines), really talented, like experts and stuff, are who ultimately choose which designs go to the printing presses.

EN AJUSTES

Even the best designs get a lot of ones. You just have to not care about that, and keep submitting and learning, and asking for advice on your pieces, while paying attention to what kind of things they tend to print. I haven't been printed yet, but my artwork has definitely improved a lot by doing those things. Your stuff is not bad, but it needs to be mindblowing, so keep at it!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
EN AJUSTES said:

Even the best designs get a lot of ones. You just have to not care about that, and keep submitting and learning, and asking for advice on your pieces, while paying attention to what kind of things they tend to print.

This. Also keep in mind that some people either vote 1 or 5 based on whether they would wear something. And yes some people vote ones in the hope of boosting their own score. F' the haters.

Don't let it get you down and keep on keeping.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

..on

Jake Friedman
1 design submitted -
[+duracell-] said:
Jake Friedman said:

yeah it really isn't. I've been up for too many hours. I'm just saying that not voting because the quality is of what to vote on is poor, doesn't mean not voting will make it any better.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

I think presidential elections should be held by scoring the candidates from 1-5

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Think hard about what you're saying.

The scale is 1 to 5, meaning the highest possible score is 5 and lowest is 1. If no one ever voted 1, the lowest possible score would be 2, essentially watering down the difference between the lowest and highest possible scores.

If everyone did what you do, (not voting under a 3, or choosing not to vote), the scale would just adjust accordingly. A score of 3 would be the new lowest score. See how the numbers themselves are arbitrary?

They've chosen a 1-5 scale, so you should vote between 1 and 5 accordingly.

taz-pie

^ this. why should we baby people who suck? i suck. i OWNED all my 1 votes.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

I still vote 0.

sausage_moe
EZFL said:

I still vote 0.

hahaha!!!

aqsmorningview

look I vote like this,if I never think im gonna wear it its automatically a 1 but if im never gonna wear it yet its an amazing design tht would change things and the points will go up but if it's amazing design and I wanna wear it its almost always a 5.that's really how I feel the majority of people vote.

biernatt
biernatt profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I give a fair share of ALL points 1 - 5. Because they're here for a reason - honest scoring! And by honest I mean going beyond me saying nay or yay - but also looking into idea and execution - if a design lacks both I won't reward it with turning a blind eye. Besides I think of it as balancing the fact that too often the most mind blowing designs do get 1's too - this seems to me as fucked up straight up downscoring. I know it's all subjective opinions on what we see - but I bet that two honestly scoring people even if disagreeing on a good design because of their specific view on design, style, subject matter etc. wouldn't land on two opposite ends of scoring scale.

People bitching about giving 2's or gods forbid! 1's while having not even a hundred designs scored by them with average score around 4-5 and forum activity mostly in "score-mine-score-yours" type of threads seems funny.

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni

so many people so many reasons. most of good designs have high scores. most of crap things will get low scores, statistically. but this is fluent. many will vote 1 even your design deserves a 5 - no matter how good you are, you will always see some 1s here. I used the word "most" for the purpose. While it is important to see the impact you have on people with your designs, do not fall in love with your high scores and do not cry when you get the low one. keep the distance, concetrate on your art - the only way to progress.

JaymeArt
1 design submitted -

Some vote a 1 for many different reasons (at different times). Just guessing at a few...

because:

some think the design sux and is deserving the lowest possible score.

some think it was a great design but are jealous

some would personally not wear it on a shirt and think no one else should

some attempt to artificially bolster their own design by lowering others

some just really don't like the person who made the design

some don't like what the design is saying/portraying

some are confused, and think a 1 is the highest score

some are having a bad day, and have no dog to kick

some are evil.

some are on drugs, and thought the 1 button was to order more drugs

some are cats who wanted to vote 5, but mouses are not paw-friendly

some think one is their lucky number

some are lazy, and the 1 button was closest to their mouse pointer

some want to get a coupon for scoring so many designs

some simply want to increase their number of designs voted on

some think the artist has too many prints already

some vote a 1 because there is no zero

some think the design was made by their 3yo sister, and she is already moms favorite

some think it is the quantity of shirts they are ordering

some hate it so much, voting a 1 is by far, the kindest thing they can think of doing

some are aliens and have no concept of our numbering system

some have given absolutely no actual thought to what they are actually doing ...

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

some people probably score everything 1, and their plan is dumb

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

having said that, i score a good amount of designs 1, because there is a lot of shit designs out there

gasponce

lol jayme you rule this thread!

JaymeArt
1 design submitted -
gasponce said:

lol jayme you rule this thread!

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

That's an impressive list!

Ayman_G

Wow I haven't check on this in a while haha.. you guys definitely changed my point of view completely. my scoring is going to be from 1-5 HONESTLY from now on. and thanks for all the comments about how to keep improving my work. it should really all be about improving your work. i mean its why we do what we do right. it's all about the ART.

clarifying i didn't mean i vote 3 as the lowest. the only way i vote 3 is if i truly thought it deserved it and nothing less. i just left the 1 and 2 to others because i personally felt bad haha but that's gonna change from now on.

I .. LOVE... THIS ... COMMUNITY!.

and i would love and appreciate any comments on how to improve any of my work if you see it in the future. i actually like constructive criticism. in comment form, cause voting 1 doesn't help me see what's wrong in the design in any way haha

Manupix
artsandherbs said:

I'm new here and I have a problem with the scoring. If I try to score the scores don't show up on my profile stats, they don't seem to count. I have to go to every single design page to score them. Is that normal or am i doing something wrong? I would love to do some decent scoring but it takes me ages this way.

Score some stuff the fast way, then open them and refresh the page: does your score show?

Yes > no problem

No > problem

Stats may not show up instantly.

No account?