Make more money than on Society6

Every time you sell a $24 T-shirt on Society6 you earn $2.40. With Threadless Artist Shops, you earn $9 — nearly 4x as much! Learn more

Open a shop today

How to get on the Society6 homepage...

Sorry I have no clue but would love to know?

Watch this
quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

When I've got on the front page I've been lucky enough to receive a lot of promotes in a short amount of time. Things go on the front page in the first 24 hours of submitting. I tend to submit any work between 6pm & 8pm UK time, as that's when most of my followers seem to be active. I think Society6 curate to some degree though.

ThePaperCrane
ThePaperCrane profile pic Alumni

That's interesting John! I feel they used to curate a lot more a few years back and assume that now it is based more on an algorithm of early promotes and possibly early sales?

Also feel that the quality of stuff on the homepage has gone down hill more recently and it seems a lot more random, hence my assumption above.

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I too am trying to figure it out. Of all the POD sites, my Society 6 sales are slacking. I've been on the Redbubble front page six times since I joined in May, yet I've only made a single sale on Society 6. I guess it's just a different audience. Their front page tends to usually be artsy-fartsy vintage stuff though, which I'm not too into.

ThePaperCrane

In truth I just feel a bit frustrated with it lately, especially when compared with my early experience of RB. Their I have made twice as much in 2 months then I have made on S6 in 4 years!!

Given the time I have invested in S6; consistently subbing, promoting, commenting I just can't justify it with such shitty returns.

ThePaperCrane

Like you RonanL, RB has been good to me, being found 5 times in less then 2 months. It makes all the difference to sales which is why I feel exposure on the homepage of S6 is essential.

RonanL

I know! Redbubble was such a big surprise for me. I didn't expect sales to be so well in such a short time. Of course, a majority of my sales have come from the "Found" stuff, so unless I can keep that up I'm sure they'll drop off.

There's just so much stuff on Society6. I'm putting a lot of my effort right now into building more of an online following. I figure if I can't get exposure on these PoD sites, then maybe my time is better spent promoting myself externally (social media, blogs, etc.). I think this is a much better use of time, given that you'll make new fans, more exposure, potential sales and even some jobs/commissions. Tumblr has been my most successful outlet so far. I've almost breached 800 followers after just a month!

ThePaperCrane

From what I understand of being found on RB, there is an algorithm (early visits, comments, favoriting) that places work within the curators radar and then they hand pick from there.

I have a sneaky feeling RB's strategy is to give newly signed up artists a help up, to kick start sales. Without being found you are literally lost with poor sales and would therefore loss the motivation to continue subbing. This is where I am at with S6 after 4 years with very little exposure.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni

Been on S6 since 2009 and the way they decide what goes on the front page seems to have changed a fair bit, without sounding like a conspiracy theorist it seems like they just curate the front page items and promotes do not always factor in to it.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
The Paper Crane said:

From what I understand of being found on RB, there is an algorithm (early visits, comments, favoriting) that places work within the curators radar and then they hand pick from there.

I have a sneaky feeling RB's strategy is to give newly signed up artists a help up, to kick start sales. Without being found you are literally lost with poor sales and would therefore loss the motivation to continue subbing. This is where I am at with S6 after 4 years with very little exposure.

I asked them on twitter to put something on their found radar and they did it, once you have a couple of steady sellers they seem to keep an eye on you.

RonanL

Here's some things I learned that I think really worked well. I'm copy/pasting this from another thread so I don't have to type it all out again, but I added a few things too. It took a little bit of work but nothing too difficult at all. Plus I got some small freelancing gigs out of it too. Here it goes:

Like everything else on the internet, it helps a lot if you actively put your work in front of other people instead of waiting it to be found. Tumblr is great, because there are SO many Tumblrs out there you can submit to. This is pretty much like having someone with thousands of followers reblog one of your posts, and you can reap the exposure. The more niche the drawing is, the better. There are so many blogs for specific topics and it's much easier than trying to compete for a spot on a popular general art blog. This is one of my favorite ways to get followers, because you're getting real fans that are following you because they just really want to!

Whatever you post though, make sure there is a link back to your Tumblr. If you're gonna have a link on it, link it back to your Tumblr and not your portfolio website. You're goals on Tumblr are to get as many followers and reblogs as possible, so direct as much traffic you can to your blog instead of your website. A follow on Tumblr will give you a lot more continuing benefits than a single hit on your portfolio, and you can always link back to your portfolio on your Tumblr.

Also, make sure you watermark every image. Have a name/URL on each image. You can also set it so that when you click on your image, it links back to your Tumblr instead of just opening the image. People may repost your image from somewhere other than your blog, so it's important to have visible source that stays with the image.

Another great method for getting new, very targeted followers is to look up work similar to yours. Click on "Notes", and see who liked & reblogged it. Follow those people. Your dashboard feed will be a little cramped, but those people may follow you back, and will often reblog your work.

If I post something just on my own, I'll maybe get around ~20 notes. If I post something and go on a follow spree, it can reach +100 notes, and I'll get a bunch of followers & reblogs at the same time. If I do that AND submit to other blogs, my personal notes don't really go up much, but each individual blog can get 1000+ notes easily and it's jammed with links back to my Tumblr. So I think actively submitting to relevant blogs is a great place to get the best fans. You can submit new work to the same blogs when you have something new, so it's like releasing an album and taking it on tour.

I'm trying to think of new ways to tie in my other social media sites, like I think Pinterest could be a great way to showcase PoD products from every site because it's incredibly shopping/sales pitch friendly. I'm learning more and more every week, and I schedule a little time each week to prep some images and submit new work to blogs.

Hope this helps!

ThePaperCrane

Thanks all very helpful^ I feel that Tumblr has great potential and prefer to twt and fb. I guess social marketing is all about strategies and well managed time (and a bit of luck sometimes)!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

They featured my design once in a Valentine's Day promotion. I guess they just went through designs tagged with "love" and picked out stuff.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I've been trying to get tumblr to work for me and I have a decent number of followers but I can't really see how to make that work for me.

I get a fair deal of front page action on S6 when I'm posting new things. I think it's down to somebody on their team liking your stuff or not. Very subjective.

lordofmasks
lordofmasks profile pic Alumni

I'd say a lot of it is luck.

I've been very successful on tumblr and I think it's the best social media platform for sharing images (although I haven't tried pinterest yet). I've been there for a little over a year and a half and have over 15 thousand followers. I started out doing just what Ronan said- submitting to art and illustration blogs that already had a large following. That got me several hundred followers and must have caught the attention of someone who works at tumblr cause they put me on the Spotlight Illustrators page which gave me several thousand new followers in a single day. And I've gotten on the tumblr radar which'll give you about 500 new followers each time.

I've had a little bit of success on Society6- been there for a month. I'm pretty sure they just curate the front page since a few of my first designs got on the front page before I really had any followers at all.

So to be successful, you need to put in the work to get your stuff seen by as many people as possible. And if you're lucky, the right person will see it, like it, and promote you.

ThePaperCrane

15000! Wowsers Camille! Yes I have seen you on the S6 homepage a few times already - congrats! What do you mean submitting to art/illo blogs, do you mean tumblr blogs? could you give examples?

RonanL

Does anyone know anything about gaining traction on Pinterest? The user base is surprisingly massive, and there's a huge emphasis on shopping & bookmarking cool products. Also, if you're on a whole bunch of different POD sites, it's a great place to market every single on of them, with each Pin board being a different site.

The only problem is I don't know how to get exposure there at all. It seems futile and I don't know where to even begin.

JacquesMaes
JacquesMaes profile pic Alumni

I think most success for artists on POD websites comes from the way on how it lists work. Redbubble does this really well, you need to be a bit lucky for having a work 'found' yes, but they really seem to do their best listing a variety of work and designers while not forgetting about newcomers. Browsing work by 'found' and according to date is so much better than a default system of listing according to what's most popular (where the popular works only get more popular because it is always what's first seen and clicked on).

Haasbroek
Haasbroek profile pic Alumni

I've posted my work to RB a week ago. I've had two of my works on the 'FOUND' list and have made one sale thus far. I have 3800 views and 60 favourites. I decided to price my work at a 30% commision rate - is this too high? Am I doing it right? To those of you who have had some success - what has been the general response to work posted on the site? (Compared to my stats) http://www.redbubble.com/people/haasbroek

RonanL

@Haasbroek First off - HUGE fan of your work. I love everything you make.

You might now be making any sales because you aren't selling Redbubbles most popular things: Shirts and Stickers. ~95% of my sales come from apparel and stickers. These are what sell like hotcakes. I haven't had a single person buy a print. Since the beginning of May, I've had ~110 things sold, and they're all either shirts or stickers. I think this is the case for most people.

I find the best margins (in my opinion) for these are: Apparel: 17.5% This makes apparel $24.95. It's pretty expensive, but people buy still by them. With an average sale, you'll be making ~$3.72 a shirt. People do buy other pieces of clothing, like sweaters n' such and you'll make like $8.00. Pretty nice! Stickers: 100%, atleast. Jack that shit up! Stickers are so popular on Redbubble, and they're very cheap. Put the stickers at 100% and they'll cost people $4.00 which people find reasonable and buy lots. The margins are low, but they're popular so you'll move a lot.

Also, throw pillow covers sell a little bit too! I set these at 33.1%, and they sell for $22.00 flat. For me, they've been pretty popular.

Under Account Details > Product Pricing, you can set the default margins on items so you don't have to type them in everytime. Saves some hassle!

ThePaperCrane

@Haasbroek

Yes what RonanL said 95% Sales are clothing and stickers. I've made 270 sales since late April and probably only sold 4 prints and one phone case so the rest is clothing and stickers. Remember to do the kids clothing too, if appropriate.

I personally think Ronan's mark up on stickers is a bit high and you might shift more if you bring it down a bit (even though the margins are small). On product pages your price will sit alongside everyone else so if it is a lot more it could be a deciding factor as most people price near the default 20%. (To compare your prices you need to log out).

RonanL said:

Under Account Details > Product Pricing, you can set the default margins on items so you don't have to type them in everytime. Saves some hassle!

I wish you could do this on S6

ThePaperCrane

Oh I did sell a few greetings cards as well and they are cheap so you can whack them up a bit. I'd say around 50%-60% for cards and stickers.

Consumers usually look at the dollar or pound figure over the pence or cents so if the majority of peoples products are by default say $1.38, mark yours up so the sales price is $1.95 rather then go over to $2.05, as that 2 will stand out against the rest and could sway a sale.

RonanL

I'd still argue for higher sticker margins than not, for a number of reasons. By bumping it up 100%, you bring in ~ $1 for every sticker sold, instead of the pennies you get if you don't. While I might sell a bit more of them if I cut the margin a lot, I think the higher margin easily makes up for any lost sales because they're still selling a lot. Even recently, I've bumped it up to 150% just to see how they fared, and they're still selling fine, but I think 100% might be the sweet spot.

I think people's shopping incentive on POD sites isn't so priced based, but rather going off interest in the design. I don't think when people are shopping they're necessarily comparing prices that much to each other, but instead which design they want. Just my thoughts!

sausage_moe

wow! thanks, you guys. this is reeeaaally helpful.

redbubble's the only place I really got a few sales from, so far, without having a big following anywhere. but I agree, the most helpful tip is to add apparell and stickers, really the only thing that sells well!

will re-read this later on and spend the weekend optimizing my accounts and reviving my dead-from-the-start-tumblr.

celandinestern

super interesting read.

I've had a surge of sales on S6 and now a drought, I can't really tell what's different, I didn't promote when they were selling and I'm not doing any less now. It's strange. I'm about to dig into RedBubble deeper because so many people are saying good things about it.

On tumblr I've found that sending to the blogs listed above and also to patternbase if you do patterns can get you some exposure, though it trickles in. The big payoff is hitting the radar, but that's pretty unpredictable.

renji05

I've been on Redbubble since yesterday and so far it's been great, they even put me on the homepage, it worked better for me than Society6

yiannz

Wow, very informative thread!

I wish i could contribute more than that, but i 've just started getting socialized :P...Still lot to learn...

Hopefully your info will help me boost any activity around my profile here and there...So, thanks a bunch :)

RonanL

@Haasbroek - I saw you went and added shirts n' such to your Redbubble. They look great; I'm sure they'll sell well!

celandinestern

I need to start drawing more design things and fewer pattern things if I want to get in on the sticker and tee shirt thing on RedBubble. Patterns don't really work there.

ThePaperCrane
RonanL said:

@Haasbroek - I saw you went and added shirts n' such to your Redbubble. They look great; I'm sure they'll sell well!

"

ThePaperCrane
celandinestern said:

I need to start drawing more design things and fewer pattern things if I want to get in on the sticker and tee shirt thing on RedBubble. Patterns don't really work there.

...But they're going to be releaseing duvet covers soon!! ;)

ameliasenville

I've never cracked the code to get on the homepage there. I have a few pictures that have 100-200 or so promotes, but they came in more spaced out, so I didn't get that nice homepage bump. I've put stuff up on different days of the week, & different times of day, but for me at least it didn't make too much of a difference, although maybe weekends are a bit slower. Also, I've seen a decline in promotes & comments since they changed their layout to infinite scrolling. Pretty sure the majority of my sales have come from outside the site itself. I think the top artists there are in a positive feedback loop of sales & then being pushed towards the front of the shop, which leads to more sales, but I don't know if they got those initial sales from being featured on the homepage or if it's from fans from outside the site. Good luck though, it's definitely possible.

Stirpel_Gonzales
Stirpel_Gonzales profile pic Alumni

Very interesting stuff here.

I'm selling some pieces on RedBubble since 6-7 months or so and it went surprisingly well for me. I've been on the front page three times, but not with my best selling artworks. But I guess people found the way to my store when seeing it. Just a few days after submitting my first artwork my first piece was sold. Great experience! My margin for everything is 20-25% and I've sold almost 300 pieces, most tees, followed by stickers. And one single art print I think :D.

My Game of Thrones sigils are the by far most popular items. Seems that selling fan-art is a good way to make some money. I've done the sigils for a student project and I don't like doing fan-art very much, but I'm thinking about doing more stuff just to make more cash...

This is my store: http://www.redbubble.com/people/stirpel

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

just keep trying i guess. i didn't get on the front page for a long ass time and when i finally did i was jumping for joy! i have took screenshots of most of them! lol. recently some of mine that performed quite crap still got on to the front page, so i think just try to get into their good books by making cool stuff that is suitible.

redbubble is still a myth for me. i only make sales on stuff that gets put in found. which is a very small percentage of what i upload..most stuff i put up there is like pissing in the wind. opifan - will follow your advice on the stickers! getting an email update cus i have sold a sticker is the most anticlimatic email opening ever. personally wouldn't mess with the t shirt prices tho, they are already high and the royalty is normally really good.

No account?
Join Us