Close
One second...

Can we have challenges geared towards unprinted artists?

Just an idea, would like to hear back from the community. Also I'm meaning like of the 1/5 of challenges geared towards unprinted folk - I think it would be promising for people like me to have a chance where some of the top dogs get to just vote for a change, all while adding new flavor to the Threadless design pool, what do you think?

Watch this
melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

nah...

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

I for one like this idea, but that could be that I am unprinted also.

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

I dunno, with all the crazy different challenges I think challenges are pretty new-artist-friendly already. I think there's a better chance of competing against big names at Threadless in challenges because maybe the most printed artists aren't that great at tattoo art, or photography, or pattern making, or mixed media.

And I can think of more blatantly noob-friendly challenges too, like "try a new style", "collaboration" and "not safe for threadless."

Evan_Luza
Evan_Luza profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

... And I can think of more blatantly noob-friendly challenges too, like "try a new style", "collaboration" and "not safe for threadless."

First off - you're an awesome artist! But I don't agree with the 'noob friendly' aspect. If a pro tries a new style, collaborates, or does something 'not safe', it will probably be better than most of the non pro. Just saying, but I do agree that the new challenges are more so artist friendly, such as the tattoo or the recent photography or minimalism, so I am excited about that.

toolbar said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_race

A maiden race it shall be then!!

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

I don't agree with the 'noob friendly' aspect. If a pro tries a new style, collaborates, or does something 'not safe', it will probably be better than most of the non pro. Just saying

So are you saying contest in which Alumni just cannot enter?

Evan_Luza
mechanicalrobotpower said:

I don't agree with the 'noob friendly' aspect. If a pro tries a new style, collaborates, or does something 'not safe', it will probably be better than most of the non pro. Just saying

So are you saying contest in which Alumni just cannot enter?

Precisely

WednesdayCat

Alumni should motivate you, it boils down to (hopefully friendly/fun) competition.

That being said, I like this idea. I curious what is the percentage of challenge winners that are won by alumni?

In that case, an Alumni only contest would also be neat.

WednesdayCat

Also your work is excellent, keep it up.

Evan_Luza
WednesdayCat said:

Alumni should motivate you, it boils down to (hopefully friendly/fun) competition.

That being said, I like this idea. I curious what is the percentage of challenge winners that are won by alumni?

In that case, an Alumni only contest would also be neat.

Alumni totally motivate me! Alumni have made me the artist I am today! And I'm all for an Alumni only contest. Some seriously spectacular art would be the product, not to mention probably higher stakes as far as prize earnings.

Evan_Luza
WednesdayCat said:

Also your work is excellent, keep it up.

you're a sweetie pie

dsds

Evancooleo, I really love your designs, especially the Sly, I am surprised you are still an 'unprinted artist'. But as for the challenge idea, I, as an unprinted artist too, don't support it. Getting printed here is a matter of luck, so everyone has chances anyway. Not to mention that a competition is the best art academy :P

hellofromthemoon

Man, an alumni only contest would be harsh. I would be incredibly happy to make it into the top 50.

hellofromthemoon

It actually sounds like a lot of fun though.

postlopez
postlopez profile pic Alumni

It feels like the challenges are really anyone's for the taking. My first (and so far only) printed design was for a challenge. And that's after nearly 9 years and 2 accounts.

I dig your stuff though. Looking back through most artists, I find a ton of designs that just fell by the wayside. Stuff that would probably do really well. There are old designs of yours that definitely fall into that category.

But it doesn't seem like the challenges are weighted terribly one way or the other.

A bit off topic, but sometimes random old designs submitted years ago get printed. Like the Homies Help Homies tank I just got. That design was submitted in 2011, and only got 1.88 score. I don't know how that came to be printed, but I love that design. That gives me a an odd hope.

fightstacy

Having a bit of segregation, ..at first I was like "boo" but now I think I might be "yay"
I WOULD love to see a Non-Alumni contest and an Alumni only contest run concurrently. It would be pretty interesting.

postlopez
postlopez profile pic Alumni

Also, I would get crushed in an Alumni only contest, haha.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

Yeah! I think luck has a lot to do with it (unless your Ben Chen lol). You can be a new artist or old artist but it comes down to what the Threadless staff is in the mood for at the moment of judging. Very random

taz-pie

naah, man. it is a free country. if you want to win, just be brilliant. you shouldn't exclude anyone. just my 5 cents.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think we should have alumni only contests. Its a worrying business being an alumni "will I ever get printed again?", "Will too many new alumni push me out of the Threadless nest like the thieving little cuckoos they are?", "Will Jeff ever reply to my emails again?" I think Threadless should just stop admitting new artists and just hang out with us alumnus.

I felt much the same before I was printed, its tough getting your first and many times I felt like jacking it all in. But you just need to keep pushing your work harder and to newer and smarter places. Personally if I got printed in a non-alumni contest I would feel like it wasn't a 'real' print. Your time will come.

pijaczaj
1 design submitted -

I think both idea are great. Alumni contest would be like first league. But in non alumni contest there would be real battle. Blood and screams. All those people (like me) would do their best because they would knew that such a chance may not come again.

taz-pie

agree with whoreton. wouldn't it feel like a "pity-print" ??

pijaczaj
1 design submitted -

Maybe, so what? a little pity doesn't kill anyone.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Allow me to re-iterate.

nah...

Jake Friedman
1 design submitted -

Printing new artists is cool. Lowering the bar so its easier to win, not cool.

[+duracell-]

Yeah, if you want to have non-alumni compete, then fine. Just as long as the winner produces some quality work that's on par with threadless standards..whatever those are these days. Else it would feel like a shiniest turd contest.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

I want a shiniest turd contest.

Evan, have you not had a print notification for this yet?

Evan_Luza
The Paper Crane said:

I want a shiniest turd contest.

Evan, have you not had a print notification for this yet?

you stay flattering me broseph, I wouldn't have made this thread if I got a notification though! Haha.

Bump for more hilarious inputs

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

I don't think this is necessary. There's plenty of unprinted artists that have won challenges.

taz-pie
[+duracell-] said:

Yeah, if you want to have non-alumni compete, then fine. Just as long as the winner produces some quality work that's on par with threadless standards..whatever those are these days. Else it would feel like a shiniest turd contest.

may i present:

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
Wharton said:

its tough getting your first and many times I felt like jacking it all in.

That means something different on this side of the pond

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
lxromero said:
Wharton said:

I did wonder about that. Over here (the source of theEnglish language) it means ' to give up'. I can however probably guess what my filthy minded trns-Atlantic cousins might derive from it.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

nope - don't feel the need. If your good, your good. You'll get noticed by others and maybe by threadless. Besides I would say the whole reason of threadless or competition in general is to measure your self against the best and see how well you do and then with lots of fails, learn and grow and get to the top (hopefully) no kiddy pools, this be the time and place to take those training wheels off and see how far you go :)

nintechno
nintechno profile pic Alumni

The joy is in the journey man. If everything was easy, it wouldn't be as fun or rewarding.

Keep the faith, and dude, you did an amazing job with our recent collab. It was number one for a while and it's still in the top 10! It's only a matter of time until you're on the front page :D

Evan_Luza
nintechno said:

The joy is in the journey man. If everything was easy, it wouldn't be as fun or rewarding.

Keep the faith, and dude, you did an amazing job with our recent collab. It was number one for a while and it's still in the top 10! It's only a matter of time until you're on the front page :D

twas' a killer idea!

Thanks for all the positive energy everyone, I was really hoping for a community discussion, and that's exactly what I got!

fightstacy
Wharton said:
lxromero said:
Wharton said:

I did wonder about that. Over here (the source of theEnglish language) it means ' to give up'. I can however probably guess what my filthy minded trns-Atlantic cousins might derive from it.

Over here, for 'give it up' we say "masturbate your penis"

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
Wharton said:
lxromero said:
Wharton said:

I guess I better masturbate my penis on the idea of going to new zealand

fightstacy
lxromero said:
Wharton said:
lxromero said:
Wharton said:

I guess I better masturbate my penis on the idea of going to new zealand

Don't masturbate your penis! It's an amazing place, There's fingering wildlife and you can massage the prostate the food!.

I think our vernacular may be a little confusing

JaymeArt
1 design submitted -

I think contests are a fun way to interact in the community. I suggested a D-League contest for those who were eliminated in the first round of Threadwars. but it was a no-go. ;p

J-Wade

:) Cute Idea!

No account?