Community Collab - Lend a Hand - THANK YOU EVERYONE
I have decided to get off my lazy butt right about now and organize a nice old fashioned Threadless Forum Community Collab. Just in case you don't know what these are, take a look at this and this for example. The idea is to gather a bunch of small illustrations and slap them together just for the fun of it. Team spirit and all that! Since I'm organizing this one, I have democratically and unanimously declared myself the dictator and these are the rules and guidelines I'm dictating:
Simple as that, really! I'm asking you to draw me a hand. Why a hand, I hear you ask. Well, hands are interesting. And they're difficult to draw so this is good practice. And they're a symbol for all kinds of stuff like creativity and cooperation.
- Any style! Realistic, cartoony, big pixels, sketchy, vectorized, etc. Do it your way! Except see technicalities for limitations.
- All kinds of hands! Your hand, someone else's hand, a robot hand, a werewolf hand, a ghost hand... you know.
- No rude gestures. No gang signs. Keep the violence and gore down, please. Reasons why explained further down. No penis hands either. Don't even try.
- Just a hand. To keep this illustration focused, no hands holding objects and doing stuff like that. Hands are interesting enough on their own! Gloves are ok. And fur and mummy wrappings and stuff like that are ok. Things worn on hands like rings and watches are ok, tattoos are ok. Just remember the request about keeping this... not too adult oriented. Also, don't draw a foot.
- No signatures
- Go easy on text in general. It's not forbidden, just trying to avoid mixed messages, you know?
- No, the hands will not form a scene or a bigger picture and will not need to interact. Just... hands. Ok?
- Up to 50 participants. Just to set some limit, I'll tell you why soon.
- Deadline: June 15.
- email for submitting: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Size: Not all hands need to be the same size but a 1500x1500px file should be enough. That makes a 5 inch image at 300 dpi and depending on the number of participants the individual hands may end up smaller. For vector files doesn't matter but remember that very thin lines are a risk.
- Colors: The shirt color is stone. (Current equivalent of silver apparently). Design colors still under consideration. Basically: A or B?
- No fine halftones. A chunky halftone, something like 30lpi or less, the kind that you can see from a distance with the bare eye is okay as an effect but if everyone uses small halftones at different angles it could end up looking bad printed. If your chosen style involves different opacities of the two colors, it's better to leave the actual halftoning to me, or possibly the printer to achieve a uniform look.
- One hand per participant. Can be right or left. We're all equal here.
- Layered photoshop file or an illustrator file preferred. Put the darker ink on the top layer.
- When submitting please include your username in the email and name the file with your username (for example hand-myname.psd). Also include your real name and address so I know where to mail your art card! You may wish for a particular drawing or suggest a subject but please don't be mad if I can't draw what you want and just send you something totally random!
What if it gets printed? What do I get?
With the new royalty scheme unfortunately I can't promise riches for everyone. So that's why, as the dictator, I am ruling that in the amazing although unlikely case this gets printed, the profits shall all go to charity. The exact charity is up for suggestions but I'm leaning towards cancer research. This is also why I'd like to keep this design PC and sort of kid friendly!
But here's the real kicker, and I might kick myself for this later on:
Everyone who gets in on this (up to the 50 previously mentioned) will get a unique, hand drawn post card size doodle illustration from me. That's right! Art for art! Whether this gets printed or not.
Disclaimer: art might be stupid. You might get a penis drawing, depending on who you are.
But of course the real reason you and I are doing this because we just gosh darn love Threadless.
You may now ask questions or just go ahead and sign up.
Final list of participants in alphabetical order:
chuck p comics