Close
One second...

Community Collab - Lend a Hand - THANK YOU EVERYONE

I have decided to get off my lazy butt right about now and organize a nice old fashioned Threadless Forum Community Collab. Just in case you don't know what these are, take a look at this and this for example. The idea is to gather a bunch of small illustrations and slap them together just for the fun of it. Team spirit and all that! Since I'm organizing this one, I have democratically and unanimously declared myself the dictator and these are the rules and guidelines I'm dictating:

Theme: Hands!

Simple as that, really! I'm asking you to draw me a hand. Why a hand, I hear you ask. Well, hands are interesting. And they're difficult to draw so this is good practice. And they're a symbol for all kinds of stuff like creativity and cooperation.

• Any style! Realistic, cartoony, big pixels, sketchy, vectorized, etc. Do it your way! Except see technicalities for limitations.

• All kinds of hands! Your hand, someone else's hand, a robot hand, a werewolf hand, a ghost hand... you know.

• No rude gestures. No gang signs. Keep the violence and gore down, please. Reasons why explained further down. No penis hands either. Don't even try.

• Just a hand. To keep this illustration focused, no hands holding objects and doing stuff like that. Hands are interesting enough on their own! Gloves are ok. And fur and mummy wrappings and stuff like that are ok. Things worn on hands like rings and watches are ok, tattoos are ok. Just remember the request about keeping this... not too adult oriented. Also, don't draw a foot.

• No signatures

• Go easy on text in general. It's not forbidden, just trying to avoid mixed messages, you know?

• No, the hands will not form a scene or a bigger picture and will not need to interact. Just... hands. Ok?

Technical stuff

• Up to 50 participants. Just to set some limit, I'll tell you why soon.

• Deadline: June 15.

• email for submitting: collabot2000@gmail.com

• Size: Not all hands need to be the same size but a 1500x1500px file should be enough. That makes a 5 inch image at 300 dpi and depending on the number of participants the individual hands may end up smaller. For vector files doesn't matter but remember that very thin lines are a risk.

• Colors: The shirt color is stone. (Current equivalent of silver apparently). Design colors still under consideration. Basically: A or B?

• No fine halftones. A chunky halftone, something like 30lpi or less, the kind that you can see from a distance with the bare eye is okay as an effect but if everyone uses small halftones at different angles it could end up looking bad printed. If your chosen style involves different opacities of the two colors, it's better to leave the actual halftoning to me, or possibly the printer to achieve a uniform look.

• One hand per participant. Can be right or left. We're all equal here.

• Layered photoshop file or an illustrator file preferred. Put the darker ink on the top layer.

• When submitting please include your username in the email and name the file with your username (for example hand-myname.psd). Also include your real name and address so I know where to mail your art card! You may wish for a particular drawing or suggest a subject but please don't be mad if I can't draw what you want and just send you something totally random!

What if it gets printed? What do I get?

With the new royalty scheme unfortunately I can't promise riches for everyone. So that's why, as the dictator, I am ruling that in the amazing although unlikely case this gets printed, the profits shall all go to charity. The exact charity is up for suggestions but I'm leaning towards cancer research. This is also why I'd like to keep this design PC and sort of kid friendly!

But here's the real kicker, and I might kick myself for this later on:

Everyone who gets in on this (up to the 50 previously mentioned) will get a unique, hand drawn post card size doodle illustration from me. That's right! Art for art! Whether this gets printed or not.

Disclaimer: art might be stupid. You might get a penis drawing, depending on who you are.

But of course the real reason you and I are doing this because we just gosh darn love Threadless.

You may now ask questions or just go ahead and sign up.

Final list of participants in alphabetical order:

38 Sunsets
AnthonyMoore
AquilaSky
berlynhubler
biernatt
BlancaJP
BurritoGoblin
campkatie
Christina.A.art
chuck p comics
dudeowl
Ephyeah
FoodStampDavis
Jake Friedman
Jayme Art
JIMDAHOUSECAT
Kellabell9
L-M-N-O-P
lordofmasks
lxromero
Mantichore
martinascott
mechanicalrobotpower
melmike
moosabman
Morkki
Musarter
NDTank
P0ckets
papaomaangas
parallelish
pijaczaj
Pyne
renji05
sausage_moe
spookylili
TheInfamousBaka
Theo86
Thomas Orrow
v.calahan
YaaH

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Also I'm real sorry for putting this in General but I want attention.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

No penis hands either. Don't even try.

You trying to get printed or not?

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

I guess you don't want a print then?

I'm in

Morkki
jeffreyg said:

Penis hands in private pls

taz-pie
Morkki said:
jeffreyg said:

i wanna draw a penis hand so baddd

filgouvea
filgouvea profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I'm in. I'll rework these to fit the techs:

Christina.A.art

Please i wanna be apart of this! :) I see challenges go up like these and always miss the chance.

Morkki
filgouvea said:

I'm in. I'll rework these to fit the techs:

Awesome great! Just limit colorsit's perfect! and remember it could end up just a few inches tall, otherwise perfect!

Christina.A.art said:

Please i wanna be apart of this! :) I see challenges go up like these and always miss the chance.

You are in!

Morkki

Awesome great! Just limit colorsit's perfect! and remember it could end up just a few inches tall, otherwise perfect!

I can't type. But you get the idea.

JaymeArt

I'd like to participate :]

Morkki
Jayme Art said:

Good!

JaymeArt
Morkki said:
Jayme Art said:

Good!

lol, does that mean, yes?

filgouvea
filgouvea profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

True, all those details will vanish at a small size. Gonna start fresh.

Morkki
Jayme Art said:
Morkki said:
Jayme Art said:

Good!

Maybe!

(Yes)

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

In!

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

I want in! this sounds fun. :)

JaymeArt
Morkki said:
Jayme Art said:
Morkki said:
Jayme Art said:

Good!

Maybe!

(Yes)

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

it cant hold nothing? much strict you! just a hand?????

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

also can the hand have a face on it? or patterns?

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

one hand eh

Morkki
Pyne said:

In!

Yay!

Theo86 said:

I want in! this sounds fun. :)

Yes!

mechanicalrobotpower said:

Hi.

I'll take that as a yes

Morkki
chuck p comics said:

it cant hold nothing? much strict you! just a hand?????

I am! The reason is to keep the design at least somewhat coherent. If there starts to be a whole bunch of objects in addition to the hands it can start to look too messy and get out of hand (excuse the pun). I mean, someone could want to add a pencil. Not a biggie. But how about a knife? An axe? A beach ball? A lunar rover? It's just easier to go with just hands :)

Theo86 said:

also can the hand have a face on it? or patterns?

Yes. I hope not everyone does a hand with a face but it can be an imaginary, a fantastic or a weird hand. So faces and patterns are cool.

BlancaJP said:

one hand eh

One. (1)

AnthonyMoore

I'll give you a hand with that... Count me in!

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni
BurritoGoblin said:

hand

As long as it isn't that SO PAIN hand

Morkki
mechanicalrobotpower said:
BurritoGoblin said:

hand

As long as it isn't that SO PAIN hand

oh sweet mother of goblins any hand but that hand

Christina.A.art

Are we limited as to how many digits?

Morkki

Added people who are in and who I assume are in.

When signing up please pretend that I only understand the simplest of English.

For example, "I'm in" means yes and "Sod off turdwrangler" means no

sausage_moe

I'm in. If you let me...

Morkki
Christina.A.art said:

Are we limited as to how many digits?

The absolute hard limit is 178 per hand. Not really! As long as it sort of looks like a hand it's cool.

Morkki
sausage_moe said:

I'm in. If you let me...

Of course!

Christina.A.art

Ok lol i'll try to keep it under 178

Morkki

Also I hope everyone reads the wall of text to the very end. I'm offering to send you some actual real life art. In an envelope. With a stamp. Or six if you live on the moon.

pijaczaj

I'm in *for that real life art 8)

sausage_moe
Morkki said:

Also I hope everyone reads the wall of text to the very end. I'm offering to send you some actual real life art. In an envelope. With a stamp. Or six if you live on the moon.

Really the only reason I'm doing this. I plan to wait 5 years, sell that high quality art and be stinkin rich for the rest of my life!

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

In…

Morkki said:
jeffreyg said:

Morkki
pijaczaj said:

I'm in *for that real life art 8)

martinascott said:

Count me in :)

Awesome!

sausage_moe said:
Morkki said:

Really the only reason I'm doing this. I plan to wait 5 years, sell that high quality art and be stinkin rich for the rest of my life!

Smart plan! (Note to self: make better art)

Morkki
v.calahan said:

In…

Morkki said:
jeffreyg said:

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
sausage_moe said:
Morkki said:

I only accept penis-hand art

Morkki
lxromero said:
sausage_moe said:
Morkki said:

I only accept penis-hand art

I have a penis-hand with your name on it. Unless you'd prefer Jeff's name?

biernatt
biernatt profile pic Alumni

Hi, my hands seem all kinds of wrong :( (maybe except if they're swiss army hands?) But if I promise to cut down on mutilations do you think I could come and play? :)

take a closer look ;)

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

ok im in (going to regret but....)

Morkki
biernatt said:

Hi, my hands seem all kinds of wrong :( (maybe except if they're swiss army hands?) But if I promise to cut down on mutilations do you think I could come and play? :)

take a closer look ;)

I love your hands! But yes, maybe without the blood and stabbings this time :)

Morkki
chuck p comics said:

ok im in (going to regret but....)

Good! You won't! I promise not to send you a peen picture.

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

raises hand * waits for people to get the joke * no one laughs * gives up *

I'm in.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7