Close
One second...

It's a Wild Rumpus critique! Help me out, and I'll help you out :)

First off, I am happy to score and critique in exchange, just give me your link ;)

Alrighty, so I have had this idea for a while, where I thought I would put that creative energy into physical form. It came out so that it is a wild rumpus of sorts, sometimes out of control and hectic but hilarious and comical in a klutzy sort of way. I tried to embody that here.

Each figure has "tool of the trade," pens, pencils, erasers, paper clips, compass, scissors, tubes of paint and paintbrushes. The dragon is also carrying a bag of coffee beans because.... well its really essential too. Not all of the tools are incorporated yet. Also, ropes, reins and saddle will be included.

I am at the point where I am going back for detail now, but I also need to start thinking about

1. colors (I think the more simpler color pallet the better)
    What do you think of a creme shirt, a monochromatic theme for the characters, and then the tools are in full color?

2. textures I was thinking a vintage feel, maybe some crosshatching.

3. more character development This is not my strong suite, holler tips and tricks here :)

Any general suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I am a bit stuck at the moment.

Watch this
dorea

Hey, very nice idea! Unfortunately the lines are a bit faint so I can't see the details. I think your choice of colors you have in mind is good :)

TheeTyraMarie

I like your idea a lot! I think you should try the colors and textures you want and i would like to see the design when its finished!

Xypher316

I definitely think the design would benefit from an older feel like if you give it an old yellowed paper feel. Colors would need something bright primary and secondary. It reminds me of Winsor McCay so maybe take a look at his work.

flaxenjasper

(I still have to add some elements and details to characters.) I kind of strayed from my original color idea, but I can't seem to make anything work. The problem was that I couldn't pull off that vintage look. Suggestions anyone?

flaxenjasper
Xypher316 said:

I definitely think the design would benefit from an older feel like if you give it an old yellowed paper feel. Colors would need something bright primary and secondary. It reminds me of Winsor McCay so maybe take a look at his work.

Yeah, I really like his style. Recreating a vintage feel is a little more difficult than I thought. Any tips on how to do it on a computer? To be honest I am not that great doing a hand drawn crosshatch feel either haha!!!

Anna Blum

Hey there! I would really like to see a version with only the tools in colour, and the rest in monochromatic like your original idea! I think the colouring of the tools is very nice, the only thing I'm not so sure about are the animals in the background, they don't seem to fit in very well :) Maybe for the vintage look you can do some kind of distressed surface thing?

flaxenjasper

I am making that version right now :) I am questioning the fact that some of the tools are in a gradient mesh and I wonder if they should look more like a 2D illustration Thoughts?

Anna Blum said:

Hey there! I would really like to see a version with only the tools in colour, and the rest in monochromatic like your original idea! I think the colouring of the tools is very nice, the only thing I'm not so sure about are the animals in the background, they don't seem to fit in very well :) Maybe for the vintage look you can do some kind of distressed surface thing?

AquilaSky

This is turning into an awesome design! I was just going to suggest that you make the tools less dimensional. I like the flat, monochromatic, almost paper look to your characters. I think the tools should reflect that style.

flaxenjasper

Time to get back to my original idea, and now I am going to start texturing now :) Does this still seem like a legit idea for threadless?

I am contemplating making the dragon's tail a little bit longer.

I would like to keep the characters monochromatic but there are any color suggestions please give me a shout, thanks!

HannahBanana3450

I think making the dragon's tail longer would balance the composition a bit more. You could even try drawing the tail super long and having it frame the rest of the objects. As for colors, maybe try using earth tones, so your characters could be in varying shades of browns/reds/etc. and the tools could be in a brighter, less natural color?

flaxenjasper

Thinking the creatures could have a papery feeling. Any ideas? I am really stuck here.

flaxenjasper

Added scales to the dragon... really struggling with colors, any ideas?

No account?
Join Us