Close
One second...

I have my rights back - but can't bring myself to post my Threadless designs anywhere else.

I've spotted a couple of classic Threadless designs on a few other sites. Seems strange.


I know I am now allowed to post it to other sites, but somehow it feels wrong. Anybody else feel the same way?

Watch this
pilihp
pilihp profile pic Alumni

*raises hand

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

seeing iconic tees on other sites:

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

I know I only have one (poor selling) design but I'm under the rule that if it prints at Threadless then I wont put it up anywhere else. I also submit my designs here first

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni

My design isn't even in the catalog anymore and I still can't bring myself to take it anywhere else.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Well, I did put my hoodie design up as a tee on another site, but then, it's really only so I can have if as a tee. I have no plans to do the same with my tee prints. Just feels wrong to me. Although I understand those who feel they need to.

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

BurritoGoblin
BurritoGoblin profile pic Alumni

I have only put up rejected designs elsewhere. It feels really awkward even hovering over the 'add product' button. Can't do it.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

I can relate

tetsoo
tetsoo profile pic Alumni

Can relate too...

nerrik
tetsoo said:

Can relate too...

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I still don't make it available as a tee elsewhere if printed here. Like others it is more of an emotional decision rather then a business decision.

Like Luis, Threadless is still my first port of call.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

Don't be so sentimental, it is your work not Threadlesses a smart chap like you should be making as much money as you can.

Haasbroek
Haasbroek profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!
randyotter3000 said:

Don't be so sentimental, it is your work not Threadlesses a smart chap like you should be making as much money as you can.

I guess it also comes down to this:

Does it lessen your chances of getting reprinted by Threadless if your SOLD OUT designs are now available on other platforms?

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!
Haasbroek said:
randyotter3000 said:

Don't be so sentimental, it is your work not Threadlesses a smart chap like you should be making as much money as you can.

I guess it also comes down to this:

Does it lessen your chances of getting reprinted by Threadless if your SOLD OUT designs are now available on other platforms?

With the way things are going I very much doubt Threadless will not reprint a design that is selling well because of something as trivial as that, after all they made the new rules so no one should be punished for following them.

Haasbroek
Haasbroek profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!
randyotter3000 said:
Haasbroek said:
randyotter3000 said:

Don't be so sentimental, it is your work not Threadlesses a smart chap like you should be making as much money as you can.

I guess it also comes down to this:

Does it lessen your chances of getting reprinted by Threadless if your SOLD OUT designs are now available on other platforms?

With the way things are going I very much doubt Threadless will not reprint a design that is selling well because of something as trivial as that, after all they made the new rules so no one should be punished for following them.

Good point.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Yes, you would hope that the threadless selection process remains completely unbiased.

However as an example: If you first submitted your design to eg, DBH and it made it to design of the day and got lots of coverage and subsequent sales, would Threadless still decide to print reprint it? I just feel it slightly dilutes the value of the design and the Threadless brand. I imagine it would be difficult for them to keep tabs on what is selling everywhere else and therefore may not be of huge significance?

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

It all feels weird to me at this point, but maybe with time as we see how the new system works we fall into a rhythm of sorts. I haven't put my two sad little prints up anywhere else as tees. Most of my stuff these days isn't even geared to tees so I mostly sub to places that do home decor and other products, and I'm ok with that. I can't help but feel that Threadless will be a little less special if all their cool tees are in the future also available at Teepublic etc.

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

Well, I saw that JVW posted all his designs to DBH, so I no longer have any remorse posting my designs elsewhere. I've been a big fan of Cotton Bureau. They seem like a great small company and their shirts are fantastic.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i'd been saving most of my older designs, especially those that scored 3+ for a possible made collection... but, those dreams are fading and with each passing week I find myself evaluating other sites for selling...

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
wowrainbows said:

Well, I saw that JVW posted all his designs to DBH, so I no longer have any remorse posting my designs elsewhere. I've been a big fan of Cotton Bureau. They seem like a great small company and their shirts are fantastic.

Yes just noticed all his Threadless prints there today - look really cool. CB are a nice selection of designs, interesting payment structure!!

mathiole
mathiole profile pic Alumni

Haasbroek, at least submit your non-printed designs, 'cause I wanna buy the napoleon one so bad!

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think each site has a loyal fan base, I'm sure many people buy in between the sites, but I think by-and-large people favour one site, so posting work to other sites shouldn't be much of an issue. I never buy tees from other sites, even though my work is on them.

That said I do feel weird about taking my work elsewhere. Threadless will always be my first love and will always get first dibs on my work. But dating Threadless is a heart breaking business sometimes, she sees other people, ignores some of your best efforts and is a total tease.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

She's an easy lover

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

whoa, really? threadless gave back the rights to the shirts? that's so crazy!

ya I'm with you guys i could never post my stuff anywhere else :(

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni

I put one of mine somewhere else just to have it in adult size and printed on the correct tee color!

aazari

Heck no. If I had managed to get anything printed, I would have absolutely no problem at all putting it up as many places as possible to maximize my exposure. It's my art and I'll put it up as many places as I can on as many types of merch as I can to maximize my chances at sales. Besides, as much of my art gets rejected without even a vote, this site is kind of becoming a waste of my time other than helping other artists get their work printed. Design By Humans approved me to be a Collective artist quickly and they have no problems featuring my stuff at all, so they're becoming far more useful to me than Threadless.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

It's definitely an emotional issue. Logic and reason tells me to put them up where ever I want to, but it still feels weird to me.

I think that's because they feel more special (to me) if they're just on Threadless.

In time I'm sure having designs on multiple platforms will become the norm and this will become a non-issue.

Also, I've made less than $10 selling tees on other sites, so there's not much of an incentive for me personally, but if I ever get promoted and see a nice reward, that might change my mind pretty quickly.

No account?