Close
One second...

Royalties

It is just not the same, the motivation to sub has gone... understand why threadless have done it, but I am struggling to get motivated to sub....

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 10
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

$17 on my latest.... (that's a total of $34 as it's a collab).

I'm experiencing exactly what some folks forecast would happen. A depressing sale motivates me to either not bother anymore, or try something I think might sell..which is turn motivates me to not bother.

I am sure this is happening to a lot more artists, because not a lot are posting success stories are they?

Wolfgang8885

Can someone make a quick comparison between before and after for example on one shirt? Since ive never been printed, I never understood the payout from before anyway. Like, "Before, this print would make you x dollars, and now it would make you x dollars"

Mr Rocks
Wolfgang8885 said:

Can someone make a quick comparison between before and after for example on one shirt? Since ive never been printed, I never understood the payout from before anyway. Like, "Before, this print would make you x dollars, and now it would make you x dollars"

This how this thing goes in circles. Have a read through...you'll get the jist

jublin
jublin profile pic Alumni

Before, a print would make you 2000 dollars up front with the chance of it selling out and being reprinted. Every reprint (not super common) earned you 500 dollars.

Now it would make you ??? dollars. This is what everyone has been sharing and discussing.

dylanjones

hmmm... just been reading this thread. Kind of disheartening.

Mr Rocks

Whats the deal with the greeting cards? How are those artists rewarded for those?

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni

Same as the tees. 20% of net profits. Though there's no royalty tracker for those so the volume of sales is unknown.

Farnell
Farnell profile pic Alumni

Right , 120 t-shirts sold and cleared : $57 is coming my way. To me this is simply unacceptable. Love Threadless but I don't have any motivation to sub anymore

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
Farnell said:

Right , 120 t-shirts sold and cleared : $57 is coming my way. To me this is simply unacceptable. Love Threadless but I don't have any motivation to sub anymore

Wow, that is pretty depressing. Maybe it is time to hear some more about whats going on behind the scenes.

ThePaperCrane
ThePaperCrane profile pic Alumni

With my latest print I am currently only $1900 short of what a print used to earn me!! :(. I partly feel guilty, like I should have made a better selling design? Makes me wonder how Threadless sustained the 2k payout for so many years now.

Wharton

I think there are just too many sales. Why would someone buy a tee at full price when they know they can just wait for the next sale to come along. Speaking from a non US perspective I think the T-shirt prices are cheap to begin with and the sale prices are crazy low.

I get the impression Threadless buyers are a pretty loyal bunch, but if you give anyone the option to pay less they will take it. Just keep the prices steady and occasionally have a 20% sale, not a mammoth 50% sale.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

I think there are just too many sales. Why would someone buy a tee at full price when they know they can just wait for the next sale to come along. Speaking from a non US perspective I think the T-shirt prices are cheap to begin with and the sale prices are crazy low.

I get the impression Threadless buyers are a pretty loyal bunch, but if you give anyone the option to pay less they will take it. Just keep the prices steady and occasionally have a 20% sale, not a mammoth 50% sale.

Shirt-a-day-sites sell their new tees at $11-12 so Threadless has to compete with something. And those sites can afford those prices and better royalties somehow. It's tough.

Wharton
Morkki said:
Wharton said:

Shirt-a-day-sites sell their new tees at $11-12 so Threadless has to compete with something. And those sites can afford those prices and better royalties somehow. It's tough.

I know the competition is cheap, but isn't that what kinda sets Threadless apart, that they're the high quality t-shirt producers with the best contributors around? Surely something has to change.

Farnell

yeah gotta change otherwise I'm 'outta here'...

[+duracell-]

Stop having sales on Mondays. I would be so pissed.

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

My sales have been doing fine, but the sales really do kill profits. I think I would easily pass the $2000 mark over the next eight or so months, but with the sales, I won't even have that chance without (another) reprint.

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

I even still wait for sale but I guess now we are supposed to Tip the artist to make up for it

Wharton said:

thompson98
Farnell said:

that really sucks

Farnell

yeah it does suck, it is rubbish, I am really sad.

I love Threadless, absolutely love Threadless, it has opened up opportunities for me etc... so I can't grumble, I have had a good run... I think perhaps my days here are numbered now...

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

So all the regular priced tees are $25 now. They used to be $20, right? I think this is a sound move. Threadless tees should be more expensive than all the POD site's tees.

I take it this means the royalties go up too?

[+duracell-]

Yeah, also $4.50 for a blank tee is too cheap imho. I would have totally paid more even with the higher shipping. I mean during this last sale I got RAGE QUIT + 7 blanks for a grand total of $58.55. Dude why? Also, I was gonna tip Aled like 15 cents just for fun but its N/A. Dude why? Is that optional now?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Rage Quit was printed before (and not reprinted after) the new contracts so it's not under the royalty scheme. So no tips for Aled either! That shirt is one of my Threadless faves btw.

I think it's really weird to put the blanks on sale anyway. Like, are there too many blank shirts or wha?

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

All these crazy low royalty checks... so, what does everyone think about a single design getting $20k?

pijaczaj

I wonder how many subs it will have. Normal challange can get about 500 so this one maybe over 3000?

heykimby

Hmmm is all I can really say about the 20k comp right now. I'm going to sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning.

Goodnight, sweet threadfolk.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

I would just get your ideas ready and wait for the details!

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

seems silly to give 20 grand to one winner for a themeless challenge... while the weekly printed artists get a couple bucks. Now, my opinion will immediately change should i actually submit something and win... then you won't hear me moneygrub anymore...

feels like the design lottery.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

No 1 submission is worth that much. There's got to be more to it then what's in their announcement. While other prints struggle to exceed $500+ in royalties, someone will be rewarded a single payment of $20k?! Absolutely ridiculous and maybe even a bit insulting.

How I feel about it wont stop me from creating and submitting stuff here though. I do it mostly for the enjoyment I get out of it.

Wheels03
Wheels03 profile pic Alumni
EZFL said:

No 1 submission is worth that much. There's got to be more to it then what's in their announcement. While other prints struggle to exceed $500+ in royalties, someone will be rewarded a single payment of $20k?! Absolutely ridiculous and maybe even a bit insulting.

How I feel about it wont stop me from creating and submitting stuff here though. I do it mostly for the enjoyment I get out of it.

What if it's something like create your own collection or along those lines? That could be interesting and possibly warrant a $20k prize if you've got something really special... we'll see.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

kinda reminds me of when emma or emmi (don't remember her name) won that $10,000. hope whomever wins the 20 grand isn't alienated by the other designers...

JacquesMaes
JacquesMaes profile pic Alumni

What if it's something like create your own collection or along those lines? That could be interesting and possibly warrant a $20k prize if you've got something really special... we'll see.

That would be cool for a change.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

With so many changes that have happened since last August... it would be interesting to see some sort of "Town Meeting" at the Family Reunion this year...

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Alumni

the 20k challenge is going to be extremely different then anything else Threadless has done, so just wait for the details before lighting the torches

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
Wheels03 said:

That would be neat. Create a 10 piece collection. Maybe team up with one or two others, pick a theme and split the winnings.

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:

the 20k challenge is going to be extremely different then anything else Threadless has done, so just wait for the details before lighting the torches

it better be good.

taz-pie
alexmdc said:

but i LOVE fakeranting about stuff that doesn't affect me at all! :(

taz-pie
Ryder said:

taz-pie
Ryder said:

also take your pick:

or:

taz-pie
opifan64 said:

Wharton

Taz is the first point of contact with most new people. We really shouldn't under-estimate the time and energy she saves us all expending telling people that their mums opinion doesn't carry much weight here. She is our first line of defence.

Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 10
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. 16
  9. 17
  10. 18
No account?