Close
One second...

When does this stop being a coincidence...

Watch this
FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I'd be willing to go coincidence until the sun shaving. All these are simple ideas that it's not unreasonable to think two people could have independently... but taken all together... that's mighty suspect.

I call shenanigans.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Wow! that's annoying as shit

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

You're just jealous you didn't come up with the title "Tooth Cool."

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
1 design submitted -

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

when he stops copying your shit probably.

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni

Jake Friedman
2 designs submitted - Score now!

At first I was looking through this and thought, "eh, people come up with similar ideas all the time, it happens."

Then I saw it was one guy. That's a little concerning. While he has lots of designs that aren't conceptually similar to yours, these 5 are definitely fishy...

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:

hahaha

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Just one guy did all this so I'm guessing NOT a coincidence!!

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

He'll to the no!! That's annoying

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

lol damn. did you contact this pirate and see what he had to say about it? i used to know a guy when i started drawing who would annoyingly copy my pictures.. and then blame it on his cousin. everything was his cousins fault!

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

hahahahahahaaha hold on a sec while I catch my breath hahahahahahahaha

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

Aderezo is spanish for randyotter

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Looks like you have a stalker

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I thought your work was a derivative of Naolito's work?

JOKE!

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Now hang on, surely lots of people wake up everyday thinking, a sun... shaving... And a cloud pissing out dollas... Awwww fuck it. This guy's ripping you. Strange though that he actually has drawing skills. He really can't come up with anything original?

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Are you sure you are not the one copying him? (joking)

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

i feel like those are common concepts, especially the infinite dog one. I wouldn't worry about it...

although if he is looking through your designs for concepts to steal, then FUCK HIM!

probably just coincidence though

kazualtee

I could see 2 or 3 being a coincidence maybe. Look at his other subs though, the best concepts are the ones randyotter has done. I call shenanigans.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
6 designs submitted - Score now!
SteveOramA said:

Made that design before the other one was submitted, just took me a while to upload so bring it on BREH!

Ephyeah

Brb gonna copy randyotter's designs lolz

dsds

Though they are different and quality enough not to be called rip-offs. And as for ideas, once they go public, they are public. Just be glad that they are not printing your designs on mousepads and selling on ebay :]

randyotter3000
slavinskas said:

Though they are different and quality enough not to be called rip-offs. And as for ideas, once they go public, they are public. Just be glad that they are not printing your designs on mousepads and selling on ebay :]

lol idiot

mathiole
mathiole profile pic Alumni
randyotter3000 said:
SteveOramA said:

Made that design before the other one was submitted, just took me a while to upload so bring it on BREH!

This premise could work on the side of that guy too, maybe he made it before you but he didn't submitted until now :) Rip off of ideas is something really complicated to judge. We trend to think that because we have a cool idea, it's ours and nobody else can have it.

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!
mathiole said:
randyotter3000 said:
SteveOramA said:

This premise could work on the side of that guy too, maybe he made it before you but he didn't submitted until now :) Rip off of ideas is something really complicated to judge. We trend to think that because we have a cool idea, it's ours and nobody else can have it.

^ This. And basically you can't really do anything about it but shed light and complain. I guess it's time to make some really complicated stuff so this guy can't "steal your ideas". Have fun either way!

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Agreed

EricKaz said:

I could see 2 or 3 being a coincidence maybe. Look at his other subs though, the best concepts are the ones randyotter has done. I call shenanigans.

randyotter3000

I don't wanna say he was stealing ideas, specially when these are ones I wasn't too happy with in the first place, just figured it was odd to see this happening through his work. Maybe I would be more annoyed if he got printed with one of them.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

Let them do it, they won't get printed because its your own style, its the same when everyone copies DRO72, its been done people, find something else for yourself

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think you're complaining is legitimate. When you spend years of your life crafting a style and honing ideas then some Herbert comes along an copies it, its only natural to be pissed off.

Sadly theres not a lot you can do about it other than have our sympathies. Or you could find out where he lives and...

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni
mip1980 said:

Let them do it, they won't get printed because its your own style, its the same when everyone copies DRO72, its been done people, find something else for yourself

I think he has his own style, but he definitely seems to be lifting concepts with abandon, unless it's a massive coincidence. It's kind of unfortunate because I thinks he's actually quite talented. I liked their food doodle design a lot and they have some other cool stuff.

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I'm just curious Aaron... how often do you come across work that is trying hard to emulate your style? You know - the small pupil, dark linework, soft background colors, etc. - the Randyotter 'look'. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking influence from other artists you admire, but sometimes I see work that is most definitely trying to be your style. There are a multitude of great designers out there that they're influence can be very easily seen in other peoples work.

I've never really had a concrete style I stick to, so I've always wondered what it's like when you find work that's very similar to your own. Do you often see work that has very obvious design elements to your own? Does it jump out at you like a sore thumb? Is it annoying or really flattering? I always imagined that it'd be really flattering to see someone trying to copy me. I wish people copied me.

mathiole
mathiole profile pic Alumni

I felt like i've been copied a lot of times. In my case at least, it's a mix of angry and flattering. It's cool to see that you're influencing someone so much, but I wish my style to be so unique, so mine, that only I could replicate it, not others. But if you think about it, we've all done that, some people know how to 'gather' others styles and make their own, but some do it in a obvious way. I like to think this is just a small step to an artists path. It's fairly easy to make those 'mistakes' in the beginning of this journey

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I agree that people may tend to emulate others at the beginning of their creative careers. I got into digital painting because of artists I admired, so I tried to be them. I found Glennz several years ago and loved what he did, so I started doing more graphic illustration because I wanted to be Glennz. Even down the line, I still get influenced by so many artists here that have their own concrete style totally grounded. I'm starting to own in on an approach to graphic illustration that I really like, and it's the result of so many different people's styles rubbing off on my love of digital painting.

One of the most emulated digital illustrators and designers I've seen online is Olly Moss - without a doubt. That guy made so many people try and make minimalistic movie posters; they're everywhere. Most of them are bad too, and totally missing the magic the Olly put into them.

Jake Friedman

RonanL, I think this is more about concepts being stolen, rather than styles.

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

I think in any ONE circumstance the same idea defense could work....but as a whole if one person has THAT many similar designs to you, it's hard to believe it's coincidence...

Statistics and math prove it.

briancook

Another incriminating factor...you are only 1 or 7 people he is following on here.

Jake Friedman
briancook said:

Another incriminating factor...you are only 1 or 7 people he is following on here.

Excellent work, Detective Cook

thompson98
Jake Friedman said:
briancook said:

That is such a good name

briancook
thompson98 said:
Jake Friedman said:
briancook said:

That is such a good name

I'll take it!

No account?
Join Us