Its so hard to find design jobs!!

Hey guys! Im feeling poppy today. First thing is my husband Graduates in 3weeks with his BFA graphic design He has been applying everywhere looking for work!! no luck! its sucks! I also want to find some work like part-time designing at home for women's app real but Im not having much luck with that also. Do you guys have any tips on job search in the Graphic Design world????

Watch this
NeonDreamDesign

Hi Rose, I completely agree with you on that. It is extremely hard to survive being an artist alone. The only way to make real money being a designer is either to find a job inside a firm or a company OR to go all out and create your own brand and identity. it;s a real hustle. From time to time you may find little jobs here and there but it's probably not gonna pay the bills unless you find the pot of gold and get noticed by somebody with a big following. Good luck to you and your husband and if there's one advice I can give you is never to give up because one day or another it will pay off . Cheers!

gasponce
gasponce profile pic Alumni

Many of the artist I follow also have Behance profiles so as to showcase their work more "professionally". Also spoonflower is a different market designing fabrics and wrapping paper might be an option!? Fonts are an awesome way to get stuff out there as well! And if you have facebook you can advertise there and take on custom jobs for people there! Good luck!

rskinner1122
rskinner1122 profile pic Alumni

I do design on the side and I do designs for a lady and her appliqué embroidery shop but its just not enough anymore. I wish I know more business minded people that just needed the designer! lol My husband and I have always talked about starting a t-shirt line but we are just not the type that could do all the smart organizing and ordering stuff!! I will look into your suggestions thanks guys!!!

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni

It is tough. I was recently in the same situation as your man.

The best thing to do is have a great body of work = portfolio book.

Maybe try looking for freelance jobs at agencies/firms first. This pays the bills in the meantime and could lead to a full-time position.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Freelancing involves so much more than doing the work, doing the work is the easy bit. Tracking down, stalking and murdering your projects like a velociraptor is hard work. Are you looking fro design or illustration work? Behance has an active jobs page (mainly American jobs too), linked in usually has about a gazillion people responding to any job offers.

If you already have a body of work together I would make a list of local design agencies, potential clients, any large company with a marketing department and send them out a mailer of your work.

If you're focusing on illustration I would also try and get an agent (they're usually good at talking and have way better contacts than you and can negotiate better fees) and have someone dedicated to finding work for you. Most of my work though comes from word of mouth or friends. A lot of linked in groups have meet ups and and networking opportunities, if you can just get one of two studios on side then they will filter work to you.

rskinner1122
rskinner1122 profile pic Alumni

wow this totally helps me out a lot guys!!! I am looking for more illustration work I love t-shirt designing and patterns all that kind of stuff. My husband is more of the logos, branding kinda stuff :)

beersallround
rskinner1122 said:

wow this totally helps me out a lot guys!!! I am looking for more illustration work I love t-shirt designing and patterns all that kind of stuff. My husband is more of the logos, branding kinda stuff :)

I agree with @Wharton on getting an agent, it really helps kickstart the careers of some of my favorite illustrators here in the UK.

No account?
Join Us