Close
One second...

ATTENTION! If you're living in the Philippines and ordering from Threadless...

...make sure your orders are US$50 or below. If the items you ordered are more than $50 have them shipped separately even if it adds to your shipping cost. Trust me you can save more by doing it this way.

To cut the long story short:
$50 = P50 (US$1.13) customs fees
$100 = P1,700 (US$38.39) customs fees!!! SERIOUSLY!

Our bureau of customs have a magical way of computing customs duty fees that doesn't make sense to the layman. I bet a lot of fellow Pinoys had the same experience. I finally had the customs officer spill the beans after a heated argument with him yesterday. So $50, good. $50 up, you're screwed! :-)

Watch this
lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

jesus seriously? Thats an insane customs fee

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Man, that's brutal. We don't get stung until $1000 I believe.

lifeform987
lifeform987 profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

I remember using my giftcode last year and i ordered 100$+ i think, package came with a box just paid 50php/1$. And it was in our town post office, maybe if you claim the package directly to bureau of customs they will charge you with imaginary taxes.

dandingeroz
dandingeroz profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Haha I feel you JOE! :P But if you can make friends with them that would be great lol based on my experience!

Joe Conde
Joe Conde profile pic Alumni

Sad to say that's just reality for us here. On the $100-up amount they make computations that add a 10-15% customs duty taxes (total value of package) + 12% value added tax + customs document stamps + import processing fee + bureau of internal revenue fee = we are screwed!

They won't even tell you how they arrived at 15% customs duty taxes (in my case). And these guys are almost never friendly towards people inquiring about the details of their fees. So when I politely asked the customs officer his full name he reluctantly gave me his, but not after asking me why I needed it, etc...I told him, aren't you supposed to sign the assessment document you just wrote?

For $50-below it's just a flat rate of P50 (US$1.13). So from now on that's what I will be doing for my Threadless orders. I just hope in the future Threadless will have the option of not declaring the amount of the items like other tee companies have in the event that the buyer would want them sent as presents to somebody else. I was able to do that with another tee company without any problems.

Needless to say the Philippine customs is one if not the most corrupt government agencies we have :-|

Joe Conde
lifeform987 said:

I remember using my giftcode last year and i ordered 100$+ i think, package came with a box just paid 50php/1$. And it was in our town post office, maybe if you claim the package directly to bureau of customs they will charge you with imaginary taxes.

I claimed my package at the Manila post office where they had a customs officer stationed, so no way getting around that. You're lucky bro :-)

Joe Conde
dandingeroz said:

Haha I feel you JOE! :P But if you can make friends with them that would be great lol based on my experience!

Sorry Dan, but I don't have your charms, hahaha. Yeah, I actually took your advise with that lady at the window. I sometimes bring her snacks or lunch, so now she's very nice to me. But that big and mean looking customs officer is another story. One time I saw this prick degrade a lady for asking about her fees as if she was ignorant. Tsk!

rhobdesigns
rhobdesigns profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Not in all cases. I remember 2 years ago I purchased something online. The price was about $200 or something. The customs didn't charge me a single peso. I live in Malolos, Bulacan by the way.

But yeah, remember the ASG winner RUA? I was the one to hand him his ASG guitar from the US, sent to China and then we met in Manila, and gave it to him. I coordinated with Dan and Rachel.

Here in China, it didn't cost me a thing, they only asked me some legal documents, passport and stuff. If they sent it directly from the US to Manila, RUA could have paid the guitar's retail price, which is I think up to $800. Brutal.

Joe Conde
hana.bacasno said:

Not in all cases. I remember 2 years ago I purchased something online. The price was about $200 or something. The customs didn't charge me a single peso. I live in Malolos, Bulacan by the way.

But yeah, remember the ASG winner RUA? I was the one to hand him his ASG guitar from the US, sent to China and then we met in Manila, and gave it to him. I coordinated with Dan and Rachel.

Here in China, it didn't cost me a thing, they only asked me some legal documents, passport and stuff. If they sent it directly from the US to Manila, RUA could have paid the guitar's retail price, which is I think up to $800. Brutal.

I agree, I think it depends in which city you live. Unlucky for me because I live in the country's capital. I also have a friend from Bulacan, every time he gets a package he has to haggle with the price of customs duties down to 50%. Meaning there's really no clear metrics as how our customs officers charge us. It really depends on the $$$ signs they see on the package or what their mood was during that day. Yes I believe RUA would've been hijacked as well if it weren't for you. As for me, I still have 3 more packages of the same amount coming my way, hooray! :-(

rodrigobhz
rodrigobhz profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Here in Brazil it doesn't matter if your order is up $50 or below. You will pay 100% of taxes.

spookylili
spookylili profile pic Alumni
rodrigobhz said:

Here in Brazil it doesn't matter if your order is up $50 or below. You will pay 100% of taxes.

Well, I think they really like me then. I never paid any taxes on my threadless orders... :D

Manupix

Thankfully I read horror warning blogs about €-hungry european customs (around 100%), so I'm careful to never order for more than € 30 in one package, AND to choose the slowest delivery (post office) which apparently flies below the radar.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I just paid 22.18€ taxes for a $126.95 order, no biggie. Finnish customs are pretty simple, there's no bureaucracy fees, it's all included in the 24% VAT. And if the shipment value goes over 150€ you add a few % for customs duties. And sometimes they just let shipments sail because they don't care to check everything.

taz-pie

i sometimes have to pay over the fucking dollar value of the items in customs fees, and then 2 months later another order of the same weight and dollar value will arrive with NO charge. south africa is fucked up. there is no system. it just depends which corrupt official happen to be weilding the rubber stamp that day.

Joe Conde
spookylili said:
rodrigobhz said:

Well, I think they really like me then. I never paid any taxes on my threadless orders... :D

rodrigobhz - Is that 100% of the amount of the package? if it is, that's brutal man!

spookylili - You're lucky or must have played some Jedi mind trick on your customs people :-)

Joe Conde
Manupix said:

Thankfully I read horror warning blogs about €-hungry european customs (around 100%), so I'm careful to never order for more than € 30 in one package, AND to choose the slowest delivery (post office) which apparently flies below the radar.

I hear ya dude. From now on I'll be ordering orders in small batches myself. But for us regular mail services or special shipping is the same. Actually it's much worse for special shipping.

Joe Conde
Morkki said:

I just paid 22.18€ taxes for a $126.95 order, no biggie. Finnish customs are pretty simple, there's no bureaucracy fees, it's all included in the 24% VAT. And if the shipment value goes over 150€ you add a few % for customs duties. And sometimes they just let shipments sail because they don't care to check everything.

That's great that they don't hassle you guys. Here, they have the right to open your package. A co-worker of mine who ordered from Threadless got her package 4 months after she ordered and it was no longer in a Threadless packaging. They said they had to inspect it, but not in front of you. She also had to pay a huge duty tax. It was already too late for me when I learned that, my orders have already been placed and shipped.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

WOW that is crazy! I did try to ship something to phillipines and it was 68$! wow

Joe Conde
taz-pie said:

i sometimes have to pay over the fucking dollar value of the items in customs fees, and then 2 months later another order of the same weight and dollar value will arrive with NO charge. south africa is fucked up. there is no system. it just depends which corrupt official happen to be weilding the rubber stamp that day.

Yep hear hear, I guess it's the same with any backwards nation :-(

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

You can count France as a backwards nation! I also make limited orders now, and slow shipping, most of the time with that system I avoid custom fees. When I won the guitar for the Plain White T's challenge, they charged 350$ for an indicated value of 1000. Thx to the sender for that, since the true price was almost 3 times that!

Joe Conde
v.calahan said:

You can count France as a backwards nation! I also make limited orders now, and slow shipping, most of the time with that system I avoid custom fees. When I won the guitar for the Plain White T's challenge, they charged 350$ for an indicated value of 1000. Thx to the sender for that, since the true price was almost 3 times that!

$350?! Yikes! It's funny how our governments don't want us to enjoy smooth transactions and would have us resort to the crappiest services made available. As if they are deliberately depriving us of having hassle-free lives.

Joe Conde
goliath72 said:

WOW that is crazy! I did try to ship something to phillipines and it was 68$! wow

Sorry to hear that bro :-|

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

All about grabbing some booty without rising the black flag, corporate looting I guess. :P

Joe Conde said:
v.calahan said:

$350?! Yikes! It's funny how our governments don't want us to enjoy smooth transactions and would have us resort to the crappiest services made available. As if they are deliberately depriving us of having hassle-free lives.

Morkki

On the other hand, shipping stuff outside Finland is crazy expensive too. The postal service is kind of shit.

Morkki

Basically if I need to ship something back to Threadless if I need a different size or something I'll have to pay double what the original shipping cost from the US was.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
Morkki said:

Basically if I need to ship something back to Threadless if I need a different size or something I'll have to pay double what the original shipping cost from the US was.

so just keep the wrong size and buy an entirely new shirt. Problem solved :)

Morkki

Damn your logic! Well it wouldn't make sense with a regular tee but I've done the return hassle with more expensive items like hoodies. It still works out a little cheaper that way.

hm087ster

I'm sending my things to the Philippines by e-mail. Joe, check your inbox!

Joe Conde
hm087ster said:

I'm sending my things to the Philippines by e-mail. Joe, check your inbox!

Cool, then I can print them out and enjoy staring at pictures of them :-)

yortsiraulo
yortsiraulo profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Customs taxed me 1500pesos (35usd) from my last order.

We paid an initial 50peso (1usd) claiming fee. My gf thought that that was it. But when the officer saw the receipt of the order, she went inside an office with our package. After a few mins she came back and told us we had to pay the additional tax lol.

Anyway, someone told me our local couriers here (johnnyair, air21, lbc etc) have addresses in the US. You can ship it there then they'll be the one who'll ship it here. Not sure how much it would cost but I think it's better than dealing with a govt agency haha. Planning on doing that on my next order.

spookylili
spookylili profile pic Alumni
Joe Conde said:
spookylili said:
rodrigobhz said:

rodrigobhz - Is that 100% of the amount of the package? if it is, that's brutal man!

spookylili - You're lucky or must have played some Jedi mind trick on your customs people :-)

rodrigobhz is exaggerating (I hope), it's supposed to be 60% if they decide to tax your stuff. I try to keep the value down though... and use my Jedi mind tricks, of course :P

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

I never had taxes in France for Threadless orders ! But that's true I had 60 $ of fees for a scanner I won on a special contest..

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

Same in Thailand. I paid it once and it will be the last.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

Morkki that 150€ isn't true. it's 22€ limit and anything over should get a customs slap on top of vat and the horribly expensive post and the hassel of filling out those forms and going to the post office or customs to pick it up. I paid just paid 15€ for what was about 50 € order. Sometimes stuff slip by, but I'm never that lucky.

Morkki

Yes, it is. If the value without shipping costs is between 22 and 150€ you only pay vat (with a few exceptions, like alcohol and tobacco). Also they won't charge you the vat if it would be under 5€ or the customs duties if they would be under 10€. I'm not making these up, just quoting the official guidelines! See page 8. (Same in english for anyone interested.)

But remember that although those limits are for the order value without shipping costs, the shipping costs are actually added to the value when calculating the taxes. So for example 20€ items plus 10€ shipping costs -> no taxes. But 25€ worth of items with 5€ shipping costs -> over 22€ and the taxes are calculated from a value of 30€. I've found this calculator to be pretty precise.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

I stand corrected it was the vat for that order, and I used the calculator. I'm angry of it because the limits used to be higher and 22€ is too low in my view. It's difference of opinion then. I don't see it as anything other then malicious control in the wrong place.

Joe Conde
yortsiraulo said:

Customs taxed me 1500pesos (35usd) from my last order.

We paid an initial 50peso (1usd) claiming fee. My gf thought that that was it. But when the officer saw the receipt of the order, she went inside an office with our package. After a few mins she came back and told us we had to pay the additional tax lol.

Anyway, someone told me our local couriers here (johnnyair, air21, lbc etc) have addresses in the US. You can ship it there then they'll be the one who'll ship it here. Not sure how much it would cost but I think it's better than dealing with a govt agency haha. Planning on doing that on my next order.

I'm not sure about that. Last year when I used UPS for a $400+ package it still went through a customs officer. I was asked to shell out $180 for taxes, but haggled it down to $135 if I were to pick up the package myself (which was supposed to be a door-to-door delivery) from their warehouse in Clark, Pampanga (3 hrs from Manila). Apparently couriers have those guys stationed in their warehouses. When my sis learned about my predicament she made some calls, and the next day they sent the package to my house without any charges. Crazy, huh?!

Just to be on the safe side I would still suggest small orders under $50 :-)

No account?
Join Us