Close
One second...

Let's talk about bikes!

So, I haven't been subbing that much these days because I have a new hobby and I love it! Some of you might know how prolific I can be at subbing, my most being 18 subs up for scoring at one time! Anyhoo, something has been eating up much of my time these days and it's my first ratrod bike build. I'm just so happy and excited about it that I wanna share it with you guys (whether you like it or not) haha! Any other ratrod builders in the house, we would love to see yours? :-)

Here she is!

Before:

After:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
Joe Conde
Joe Conde profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Thanks chuck!

johnnysPeter

duuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddee!!!! so slick. I had a beach cruiser with white walls looked just like this. I'm a big bike rider, my pops is a ratrod man but with hotrods.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Awesome dude!! That's a sick bike. The more hobbies you have the happier you will be!!

DenVeegerd

Sweet!! I like the saddle, nice color. Real leather I guess? Good job looks great!!

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -

Thanks, man! Yeah I just recently got back to riding and it reminded me how much fun it was. Must be sweet having a dad who customizes hotrods! I hope he let's you drive those :-)

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Oh man I want to restore an old beat-up bike so bad. Haven't found anything I like yet. I've got a proper road/racing bike, but I want another one just to cruise around on and not worry too much about locking up in-front of a store.

Looks great. That piece of wood is a great addition. Any idea as to what the make/model is? I don't see any markings on the before image.

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -

@dnice25 - Thanks bro! Yeah, it also gives me another chance to explore my creativity.

@DenVeegerd - Thank you! Yes it's real leather, it's built pretty solid and looks uncomfortable but it actually isn't. It kinda collapses under your weight just at the right spot and the huge springs assures you of a comfortable ride :-)

@EZFL - Go for it man! You can also have it checked out by the folks over at ratrodbikes.com. But believe me once you start on it, it could get addictive. I've been working on this for a month now and everyday I can't wait to get back home from work to give some tlc on this baby. I'm on the verge of pissing off my wife, haha! Sorry but I don't know the make of it. It's by some unknown Japanese company. But knowing Japanese bikes they're built tough.

lifeform987
lifeform987 profile pic Alumni

Cool bike!

What kind of crank set is that, is it one piece crank? i have a road bike frame with similar crank tube like yours, hard to find vintage parts around here at the south.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

Awesome work man!

DenVeegerd

Yes I know these seats, my father used to have one on his bike back in the Netherlands.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Cool! I used to browse the ratrodbikes forum a lot but never got around to actually building one and got into the fixed gear scene instead. Function over form really, what with city traffic and hills and all.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Such a sweet bike! Are you going to keep doing it for yourself or do you think you'll start doing it for others? Seems like a rewarding hobby. :-)

Frasq
Frasq profile pic Alumni

Simply AWESOME! cool job man!

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

That's one sweet ride wow!!! Great stuff buddy!

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni

outstanding bike! awesome! does it ride as it looks?

JaymeArt

Nice! Looks like a great place to ride it too.

johnnysPeter
Joe Conde said:

Thanks, man! Yeah I just recently got back to riding and it reminded me how much fun it was. Must be sweet having a dad who customizes hotrods! I hope he let's you drive those :-)

Yeah man riding a bike is like freedom at its greatest. U can go anywhere off the beating path and just ride and enjoy life. I Love it! And its good for you physically, mentally and spiritually. Yeah My old man lets me drive his hotrods,.. well most of em, hes got one or two that are his babies. lol.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

white wall tires - cool

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

can we turn this into a post your bike thread? i want to see more; i'm sure a lot of you have at least one.

ChrisDB

Gorgeous!!!!

ChrisDB
EZFL said:

can we turn this into a post your bike thread? i want to see more; i'm sure a lot of you have at least one.

My project...

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

I know how you feel. my free time is now spent delivering pizza and practing my DJing and production

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

nice

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

That is beautiful. There is a build your own bike workshop below my office here.

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni
8 designs submitted - Score now!

Really nice restoration! Probably good to have other hobbies besides Threadless.

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
lifeform987 said:

Cool bike!

What kind of crank set is that, is it one piece crank? i have a road bike frame with similar crank tube like yours, hard to find vintage parts around here at the south.

Thanks man! It's a square-type crank. Kinda difficult to find in single speed, but easier for multi-speeds.

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
Morkki said:

Cool! I used to browse the ratrodbikes forum a lot but never got around to actually building one and got into the fixed gear scene instead. Function over form really, what with city traffic and hills and all.

I hear ya man! Initially I was also considering a fixie, but I thought I couldn't go too crazy with the customization, so I went the ratrod direction :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
TheInfamousBaka said:

Such a sweet bike! Are you going to keep doing it for yourself or do you think you'll start doing it for others? Seems like a rewarding hobby. :-)

Hi Tiff! If somebody would ask me to build a bike for them I think I would, It's so much fun and I love sharing my art. :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
38 Sunsets said:

outstanding bike! awesome! does it ride as it looks?

Yes actually it does. By having it's seat as low as it is (I chopped part of the frame) it's great for cruising and the 26" tires makes me zoom past traffic. I just have to get a laid back seat post for it because sometimes the bars kinda hit my knees, but it's still very manageable :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
johnnysPeter said:
Joe Conde said:

Yeah man riding a bike is like freedom at its greatest. U can go anywhere off the beating path and just ride and enjoy life. I Love it! And its good for you physically, mentally and spiritually. Yeah My old man lets me drive his hotrods,.. well most of em, hes got one or two that are his babies. lol.

Haha, that's awesome and I know the feeling. Every time my god daughter takes this baby for a spin I always have to check for scratches or wipe it down, haha! I may have to build her own bike :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
EZFL said:

By all means, it would be great to see what others are riding as well. This was actually my first ratrod, the other bike I restored was a lady's city bike for my wife, nothing fancy. I just stripped, repainted and got some parts for it. I use it when I go to the grocery :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
ChrisDB said:
EZFL said:

My project...

Chris, I couldn't see the pic you posted. I think there's an error on the link. Thanks also! :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
lazysundave said:

Wow, that's a really nice job! I made a fixie out of an old track frame a couple of years ago, and it soon became my favorite bike. Then somebody stole it on new year's day, which was not how I was hoping to start the year... But I think you've just inspired me to build another another bike!

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I must be that sweet that somebody stole it. I say, build on brother!

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
biotwist said:

I know how you feel. my free time is now spent delivering pizza and practing my DJing and production

It's always awesome being able to channel our creativity through other stuff! More power to you bro! :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -

Thanks to all the nice comments guys! :-)

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Sweet bike!

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

I built up my 1980s Bianchi from the frame. It was a fun project finding parts on eBay and bike forums. I was happy to score a water bottle from the same era.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i actually just learned how to ride a bike...

step 1: fall down step 2: shake yo' hips step 3: wobbly hips Step 4: bike

ChrisDB
opifan64 said:

I built up my 1980s Bianchi from the frame. It was a fun project finding parts on eBay and bike forums. I was happy to score a water bottle from the same era.

Hey Eric! I was sooo drooling over your bike when I saw it in your Made vid!!

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
opifan64 said:

Have always loved that color.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

here's my bike:

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
opifan64 said:

Whoa, now that's a beauty! Good job! I agree that the fun part is the adventure of finding just the right pieces for your project and seeing the outcome after all your hard work. :-)

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
EZFL said:

here's my bike:

Sweet ride bro! WOW! I bet you can fly on that baby!

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
Ryder said:

i actually just learned how to ride a bike...

step 1: fall down step 2: shake yo' hips step 3: wobbly hips Step 4: bike

Haha! Yeah it's all in the hips!

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni

you replaced it to single gear?

Joe Conde
1 design submitted -
radiomode said:

you replaced it to single gear?

Hi Budi, it was already a single gear when I got it. It just had the bigger plate that mimicked a multi :-)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us