Close
One second...

1978 Crash Site - Video WIP - It's up!

Final Process Video:

It's been a while since I've done a WIP, so why not?

The plan is to draw of the crash site of a space invader. In my mind it's going to dark and moody, with fire and smoke and metallic highlights and all that jazz, but as you'll see from the vid, I'm kinda just winging it...

Let's see how this turns out.

Hmmm... let's see what I can scribble out here:

mid-tone madness...

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED

WHERE THERE'S SMOKE...

THERE'S FIRE...

MY METAL NIGHTMARE...

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

Yeaaaaah! This is awesome to watch

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Thanks man. Yeah, I usually skip past or truncate the sketching part for my process vids, coz most of the time there's lots of bits where I delete whole parts, or go in directions that have nothing to do with the final result.

But this being a drawing challenge, I thought I'd bring everyone along for the ride. I kind of have of an end goal in my mind, but it's not fully formed at all... the plan is just to let the sketch tell me what it wants to look like, it you get my drift.

kazualtee

Very cool idea and sketch!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Don't get in trouble with the copyright authorities at Taito...

melmike
kuro_te said:

Don't get in trouble with the copyright authorities at Taito...

Yep, very aware... this sketch will be more of a skeleton upon which to build the illustration.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

fun! I love videos wips. people should do more.

Kudaman

looking forward to see how this turns out!

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Can't wait to see the finished product. You recording the whole thing?

v.calahan
v.calahan profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

That's a sweet sip!!! Curious like macdoodle. Are wips done by making automated captures during all the process and then edited through some magic software thingy?

JaymeArt
1 design submitted -

looks interesting :] --are you not posting it to your YT channel?

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Nice! What brushes do you use? Ray Frenden's set?

melmike
macdoodle said:

Can't wait to see the finished product. You recording the whole thing?

Yep, that's the plan.

v.calahan said:

That's a sweet sip!!! Curious like macdoodle. Are wips done by making automated captures during all the process and then edited through some magic software thingy?

Thanks. I'm recording my screen using Camtasia, then playing it back at 14,000 x speed.

Jayme Art said:

looks interesting :] --are you not posting it to your YT channel?

Eventually I'll put the whole thing on YT as a single vid, but for these single WIPs, I'll just post them to Vimeo.

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

wow can't wait to see this finished!

melmike
Morkki said:

Nice! What brushes do you use? Ray Frenden's set?

Ummm, stretching the old memory banks there, but I'm pretty sure this is the gesso brush from this guy's 'impasto brushes' set.

melmike

I bought the set way back for the effect I wanted in the impressionism challenge. I haven't used any of the impasto effects since, but I always use this brush for pencil sketching and the spatter brush I've used for heaps of designs.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Enjoy this wow!! 5$

melmike

thanks!

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

wow sweet ! these are great

DenVeegerd

It's a joy to see the vids, thanks for sharing. Curious to see the rest of the journey and finally the result.

yortsiraulo
yortsiraulo profile pic Alumni

Wow. Will surely buy this if it prints :)

melmike

Just laying down those mid-tones, far from perfect, but so what, I've got me a space ship to get cracking on. Can always go back and take a re-look when it comes time for highlights.

goliath72
1 design submitted -

Thanks for sharing this is so amazing! This better print! Already saving $$ for this

melmike

Ha, thanks Daniel. It's really pushing me to my absolute limits. I just spent the better part of three hours trying to figure out how to colour/shade the damn space ship.

macdoodle

Woah!! Adding in the foreground perspective just amped this up big time! Loving it.

JaymeArt
1 design submitted -

looking great! I like watching people work :]

melmike

So, there are a lot of things I can just kind of draw from my mind. It turns out that shiny metal space ships is not one of those things. Forgive me for not really knowing how to draw light and shadows refracting and bending over what are essentially curved mirrors.

I guess I could just change my plans, or give up entirely, but instead, I've fashioned a scale model out of styrofoam and mirror vinyl for reference. I even photographed it against some print-outs of a similarly coloured landscape.

That's normal, healthy behaviour, right?

Right!?

gasponce
melmike said:

So, there are a lot of things I can just kind of draw from my mind. It turns out that shiny metal space ships is not one of those things. Forgive me for not really knowing how to draw light and shadows refracting and bending over what are essentially curved mirrors.

I guess I could just change my plans, or give up entirely, but instead, I've fashioned a scale model out of styrofoam and mirror vinyl for reference. I even photographed it against some print-outs of a similarly coloured landscape.

That's normal, healthy behaviour, right?

Right!?

riiiiighttt! but looks so cool!

Manupix

WOW! Love the experimental approach! =D

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

that is fantastic - normal ....I don't know about that, I think it's much better then normal. I consider this being the best way to do it, then there's the 3D render way and the lazy just fake it way. Top marks coolness dude !

ChrisDB

This is insanely amazing! I really love the inclusion of the dad and dog and daughter overlooking the crash.

JaymeArt
1 design submitted -

Sooo cool! Could you raffle off the model when you're done?

melmike
Jayme Art said:

Sooo cool! Could you raffle off the model when you're done?

Ha, maybe... but I'm actually getting quite fond of it.

This is turning out to be perhaps my most frustrating design yet. Ever get the feeling you have no idea what you're doing?

RAIL-GUN

Dude, this was a sweet watch! Fucking gnarly drawing too! You using Frenden brushes?

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

um whatttt

melmike

Ha, thanks guys!

Good news, I finally worked out how to do the smoke...

Bad news, it's taken a whole day to do just one bit.

So, it looks like there's no way I'll get this done for the drawing challenge. I mean, having a crack at $2k and tablet would be great, but I'm not going to put my health and sanity at risk trying to rush this out in 3 days. Besides, by now I have a very specific vision now in my mind, and I don't want to half arse it.

Of course, I'll keep this WIP going.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

we all salute you

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Wow, much jealousy

macdoodle

Genius! That scale model is kind of amazing.

Manupix
melmike said:

So, it looks like there's no way I'll get this done for the drawing challenge. I mean, having a crack at $2k and tablet would be great, but I'm not going to put my health and sanity at risk trying to rush this out in 3 days. Besides, by now I have a very specific vision now in my mind, and I don't want to half arse it.

Good, I hesitated to critique because I didn't want to keep you from subbing to this challenge. Now the way is clear ;)

Ok, the bad news is: there are problems. The good news: by redoing almost everything you can fix them! Seriously :S This has too much potential to leave these issues unadressed!

1: readability. The invader shape is not at all obvious, it looks more like a standing robot and I doubt many viewers would spontaneously see the invader.

The main reason might be broken symmetry: showing the hidden / buried 'arm' would help, but maybe not enough; also giving the whole invader a ~45° tilt would make it work I think.

2: perspective. You need to construct the 3-pt persp lines to see it: the lines to the left side vanishing point look ok; but the lines to the upward vp are not all good (don't intersect in one single point; also some look 'broken' such as those linking the eyes and upper arm); and there is no visible convergence to a right side vp.

3: light. Pretty good but some 'details' could help heaps.

I take it there is a sunset to the back of the viewer, which is the reason the reflection is brighter than the bg. In this case, there should be a vertical gradient in the reflection, darker above as the sky reflected by the ship top way above the sunset, even near the zenith (given the wide angle of view of the scene and the apparent backward tilt of the ship).

Next, sky reflected from the left-facing planes is much darker as it is not far from the direction of the scene, and opposite the sunset. Values should be close to the surrounding sky.

Last, the edge speculars actually break the atmosphere, they convey a feeling of inside lighting, just like the room you shot the vid in. You should take your model outside during an actual sunset and shoot a new vid! Some edge speculars on the lowest edges might work, depending on the relative position of the sun.

Sorry for being late on this, these issues became apparent on the last version, although the persp problem was there from the start.

Keep up the good work! Will there be color?

goliath72
1 design submitted -

Thanks for sharing

melmike
RAIL-GUN said:

Dude, this was a sweet watch! Fucking gnarly drawing too! You using Frenden brushes?

Thanks! Nah, I'm using some 'oil' brush set I got a while back, don't even remember where from. From what I hear about Frenden's, the one I used for the pencil work act in a similar way.

But the one I'm using now for colouring is set up as a dual brush, which is how it goes from light to dark in one stroke, all depending on the amount of pressure. It's a bit of a bitch to manage at times, but once you get into it, it's a powerful blending feature.

goliath72
1 design submitted -

i really hope this prints! I really enjoyed watching the process for this!!

melmike

Thanks you so much for the in-depth crit Manupix. You've actually very clearly articulated a lot of my own concerns. I agree with (almost) all of them.

As you can see by the vid, a lot of what I've been doing up until now is kind of a trial and error process, which brings me to where I am now.

Straight off the bat, I needed to do the work I've done so far to clear the fog in my mind of what I want final product to look like. Now that this leg work is done, my vision is much clearer. So yeah, a lot of what you see now I suppose could be considered still a sketch (hence why there's no way I'll be finishing it in a couple of days).

Your first point actually relieved me a little. My biggest concern with this idea was actually copyright infringement, since Taito are known to be so litigious. So I've purposely intended to make it space-invader-esque, but not exactly the same. I can't see it as a standing robot, maybe that's because I drew it though... I'll ask some other people about that.

As for the perspective, I noticed how much of it was bung while I was colouring it. Shouldn't be too difficult to adjust. That being said, I have intentionally 'dramatised' the view, so I'm giving myself a bit of leeway in this regard. But I agree if definitely needs looking at.

The lighting is my biggest headache. I could have spent a month doing the background, but decided to move on to the space ship coz otherwise I'd just have been drawing in circles, only to find out now I really need to do the fire and smoke to keep the same problem happening with the ship. And then again, I haven't yet done any highlights in the sky (which is actually lit by a moon behind the ship, so in a sense, "imaginary" light).. and this in turn will also effect the surface of the ship, hills and foreground.

And that's why this is all really tricky. Light sources obviously inform highlights and shadows, but I don't yet have the main light source drawn in (the fires), so what I've done with the ship so far is really just something so I can continue with the illustration and wrap my head around what's what. I really need to finish the fire and smoke before I can even consider the way it effects the surface of the metal. This will of course mean re-working at all the shadows and indeed the speculars you pointed out.

This is where I'm at right now.

goliath72
1 design submitted -

Just seeing if any updates on this awesome illo

melmike

Spent all last night working on it. Still going on the damn smoke, haha. Hopefully will have an update by the end of the week.

melmike

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

you are killing it as always

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni

thanks for sharing! it is awesome to follow the progress of your design.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?