Close
One second...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUR ARTISTS: ANSWERS TO...

• by skaw
  • posted Mar 31, 2014
  • 178 Comments

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

I certainly don't like where this is headed right now, but hopefully I'll change my mind with time!

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

If anyone has any additional questions, feel free to post them here or shoot me an e-mail! jeff.guerrero@skinnycorp.com

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I have three questions. I don't know if you're allowed to share this information or not, but here it goes:

1. How many shirts are printed on the first run of a print?

2. What is the average profit made when a $20 shirt is sold?

3. How will sales work? Threadless is always having massive sales, and if a shirt is selling for $10 on sale, then do we make pennies in royalties because the shirts profit has been cut?

ChrisDB

Is it too late to suggest giving the artist the option to either give up their exclusive rights for the normal up-front payout or let them keep the rights for the royalties only option?

jeffreyg
Morkki said:

How will royalties for collabs work?

The next round in the royalties should have the collaboration system worked out (hopefully within a month), but for the first month we'll be handling those manually. So, unfortunately these trackings won't be visible to the collab designs in Artist Dash; however, you can always ask us for updates during the interim.

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

"In the near future, we will also also be offering additional upfront cash incentive offers."

Any ideas on what this might be. Even hypothetically would be appreciated here.

Also....

RonanL said:

I have three questions. I don't know if you're allowed to share this information or not, but here it goes:

3. How will sales work? Threadless is always having massive sales, and if a shirt is selling for $10 on sale, then do we make pennies in royalties because the shirts profit has been cut?

These questions floated about a lot in the forums and today I hoped they might be answered.

Mr Rocks
mechanicalrobotpower said:

I'm sad about designs not being special anymore, ..Exclusivity isn't all bad.

Ditto. Being printed at Threadless will no longer feel that special.

Mr Rocks

and please define?

"plus 100% of the amount of any “artist tips” your Design receives. "

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni
Mr Rocks said:

But this is still up to the individual artist, they are the ones who choose to put them up on other sites or not. So I still think the vast majority of tees for will only be available on here.

Mr Rocks
melmike said:But this is still up to the individual artist, they are the ones who choose to put them up on other sites or not. So I still think the vast majority of tees for will only be available on here.

I'd like to believe this, but after reading those other forums Mike, if there's no reason to have your design at one shop only, then why wouldn't you? I hate that the fact you can now make extra coin elsewhere, it makes good business sense to try and make more money, yet somehow makes your shirt design less covetted. And that's what Threadless was all about to me, original shirts that you only saw here. This is no longer the case.

I personally never felt the need to try and sell my designs elsewhere because I was happy with the $2000 payday. But again, this is no longer the case.

brainrust
brainrust profile pic Alumni

From elsewhere in the forum I got the impression that there will be bonuses if a design crosses certain sales thresholds, which could be a good incentive to focus exclusively on Threadless sales. Unless my impression was wrong about that! I don't see it mentioned in the main post.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni
melmike said:
Mr Rocks said:

But this is still up to the individual artist, they are the ones who choose to put them up on other sites or not. So I still think the vast majority of tees for will only be available on here.

I hope a lot of people have the same attitude, In the end the design is what sells the shirt, if you can get that design in eight different places, it takes away from the 'rarity' of it, and makes it seem like 'just that shirt with that thing on' you can buy from internet.

melmike

Well, from what I've read, people are only making small amounts a month from POD sites, from all of their tees combined. For me personally, I don't see it as a sound business choice to put my printed designs on those sites, diluting their 'coolness', for literally a few bucks. Plus, I suspect that Threadless would have less incentive to promote those tees that appear everywhere else.

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
melmike said:

Well, from what I've read, people are only making small amounts a month from POD sites, from all of their tees combined. For me personally, I don't see it as a sound business choice to put my printed designs on those sites, diluting their 'coolness', for literally a few bucks. Plus, I suspect that Threadless would have less incentive to promote those tees that appear everywhere else.

Mike, the audience is different. If you put your design say on Redbubble, you will reach Australia population. I think this is the main reason why it's just logical to use multiple sites.

jeffreyg
RonanL said:

So the first one, it's hard to give a clear cut number because the number varies. If we see the shirt selling well, we usually "chase" the design and add more stock to it, so it's sort of a case-by-case basis.

The second and third questions kind of overlap. Those numbers vary (for example, belt prints and dye subs are sold for $25, and regular shirts sometimes are $20 or less.) Yes, the amount of net profit will be a little lower when things go on sale prices, but those sale priced items tend to sell much higher in quantity, so although they may be selling for less, the volume of sales is significantly higher. All these numbers will be visible to the artists when the royalties system is launched in your Dashboards.

melmike
radiomode said:
melmike said:

Mike, the audience is different. If you put your design say on Redbubble, you will reach Australia population. I think this is the main reason why it's just logical to use multiple sites.

Yep, I do agree with this, which is why I have started selling the tees that Threadless passed up on on other sites. I'm just not convinced that I should be selling the ones that did get printed. I don't see the benefit for me. However, I do only have 3 designs I could sell. I see how this could be more of an issue for you guys who have heaps.

Mr Rocks

Jeff. Just an estimated answer would be appreciated here. It's not that hard, you or someone near you must have some number, and even if it's be an approximate number, we understand.

I just want to know some numbers as it will help me decide if it is worth it or not. It's hard to estimate the possibly gain with not even an estimate.

Assume for the sake of getting an answer here, that this shirt of mine is what we are talking about (and forget it's a collab for the time being.)

What would be a number of shirts for an average print run? What would be the profit on an average 4 colour shirt for $20?

No one will drag you over the coals for not being precise here man.

Mr Rocks
radiomode said:

Guys accept the reality and stop assuming things

Assumption is all we have til some answers are given Budi.

dudeowl
dudeowl profile pic Alumni

we don’t encourage you to dilute the focus away from your Threadless royalty earnings, however, our primary mission is to support and inspire our artist community. If printing your designs elsewhere as well is the best move for you, we’re behind it.

Threadless Tees: Nude No More

Where's your old slogan threadless, where? :'(

radiomode
jeffreyg said:
RonanL said:

So the first one, it's hard to give a clear cut number because the number varies. If we see the shirt selling well, we usually "chase" the design and add more stock to it, so it's sort of a case-by-case basis.

The second and third questions kind of overlap. Those numbers vary (for example, belt prints and dye subs are sold for $25, and regular shirts sometimes are $20 or less.) Yes, the amount of net profit will be a little lower when things go on sale prices, but those sale priced items tend to sell much higher in quantity, so although they may be selling for less, the volume of sales is significantly higher. All these numbers will be visible to the artists when the royalties system is launched in your Dashboards.

Jeff, TBH this answers do not answer anything. Not even slightest hint.

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

I think Budi (Threadless) will have all our questions answered so please give them some time. For now, we must accept the reality that Threadless needs to be in a position that a company must earn to compensate for all their expenses. Now back to reality, work and get paid equals life. Peace y'all.

radiomode said:

Guys accept the reality and stop assuming things

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

On the rights side of things: I was getting comfortable with the thought of possibly printing shirts elsewhere, but then I thought about all of those shirt bootleggers and rip-off artists websites out there. The new large submission guidelines have made thieving even easier.

In the past Threadless artists atleast had the threat of a Threadless legal team, however intimidating that is, which was reassuring. I would think as individual artists it will become even more difficult to stop thieves from thieving. Although I am not entirely keen on giving up all of my rights, there was always a comfort in knowing a big internet brother had my back. With the re-attribution of rights is it wrong to say that artists will be solely responsible for reaching through the interwebs and bitch slapping thieves through there computer screens?

Just a thought I had. You may now carry on talking about money.

fightstacy
Musarter said:

On the rights side of things: I was getting comfortable with the thought of possibly printing shirts elsewhere, but then I thought about all of those shirt bootleggers and rip-off artists websites out there. The new large submission guidelines have made thieving even easier.

In the past Threadless artists atleast had the threat of a Threadless legal team, however intimidating that is, which was reassuring. I would think as individual artists it will become even more difficult to stop thieves from thieving. Although I am not entirely keen on giving up all of my rights, there was always a comfort in knowing a big internet brother had my back. With the re-attribution of rights is it wrong to say that artists will be solely responsible for reaching through the interwebs and bitch slapping thieves through there computer screens?

Yeah, this is a good point, it ties into what I'm saying.

also, mine wasn't about money either

Mr Rocks
Musarter said:You may now carry on talking about money.

It does come across that way I know, but for me there's a big difference between:

$2000 prize upfront = complete transparency and a solid figure if you get printed. 20% of profit = ??? ....not even an estimate per shirt from the staff.

I, like a few people, just want to know (as I said, even a guesstimate would be appreciated) an average number of shirts per run, and an average royalty earned per shirt sold.

Mr Rocks
Musarter said:

BTW Josh..this is a very good point also.

melmike
Mr Rocks said:

It does come across that way I know, but for me there's a big difference between:

$2000 prize upfront = complete transparency and a solid figure if you get printed. 20% of profit = ??? ....not even an estimate per shirt from the staff.

I, like a few people, just want to know (as I said, even a guesstimate would be appreciated) an average number of shirts per run, and an average royalty earned per shirt sold.

Solid point. Although, I understand why Threadless wouldn't want to put that kind of into a public forum.

Just pulling figures out of my arse, my expectations are that the lifetime of an 'average' tee would now be worth as low as 500-ish, but better than average sellers could, in time, earn at least the old 2 grand prize. Then the very creme de la creme could earn possibly even tens of thousands, but that would be very rare. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

jeffreyg
radiomode said:

Jeff, TBH this answers do not answer anything. Not even slightest hint.

Well, it's hard for me to give a clear answer because it varies with the design haha. The first run print can be as low as 200 units, but I believe most are around 400 units. In a nutshell we test out designs and add more inventory to designs as we see fit, so this can increase a design to 1000s in units. Then there's reprints which can add a couple thousand more, etc etc. There are some designs that have reached 10,000+ units.

As for the average profit and how sales affect them. Every now and then we'll have sales where things are priced $10 or below. Yes, this affects the amount received on royalties, but as I said before, those sale priced items tend to sell much higher in quantity, so although they may be selling for less, the volume of sales is significantly higher. There is also a minimum amount of royalties you receive per unit. I think it's about $0.25. However, there will be new feature releasing really really soon that we spoke of in the terms (as Blair pointed out - artist tips), that will offer more ways for you guys to earn more. For regular priced stuff with the $20/$25 tag, I would say the average royalties amount per unit would be between $2 and $2.50ish.

radiomode
melmike said:
Mr Rocks said:

Solid point. Although, I understand why Threadless wouldn't want to put that kind of into a public forum.

Just pulling figures out of my arse, my expectations are that the lifetime of an 'average' tee would now be worth as low as 500-ish, but better than average sellers could, in time, earn at least the old 2 grand prize. Then the very creme de la creme could earn possibly even tens of thousands, but that would be very rare. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

Well as someone who experienced 10% royalty, I can tell you average selling design won't reach $2000. You need to be above average to get to that number.

Again the decision whether you will get $2000 partly depends on Threadless decision to reprint your design or not. So if your design is not selling well, the lifetime of your design is actually one print run. There is no way you will make $2000. A lot of designs will have a lifetime of one print run.

ThePaperCrane
ThePaperCrane profile pic Alumni

I am amazed you guys managed to squeeze the Threadless secret formula out of Jeff!

So average 1st print run = 400, working on a retail price of $20 and 10% royalties = $2 (20% of profit) you stand to make $800.

Of course there are so many variables such as sales discounts and additional inventory for good sellers, although these will probably counter balance each other. There are also prints and phone cases to consider.

This $800 is assuming it has a one print lifetime, as Budi suggests.

It would be nice to know roughly what percentage of prints do get reprinted. I'm guessing 25%?

dudeowl
dudeowl profile pic Alumni

The conclusion is You will reach less than $2000 for one print run. :(

fightstacy
dudeowl said:

Probably, but this shouldn't be all bad, ..this should open up the ability for threadless to print more, and a wider variety, as there's less risk in forking out a lump sum and hoping their predictions were right..

..whether that happens or not, I don't know

melmike
dudeowl said:

Probably, but this shouldn't be all bad, ..this should open up the ability for threadless to print more, and a wider variety, as there's less risk in forking out a lump sum and hoping their predictions were right..

..whether that happens or not, I don't know

and no one can complain anymore that Threadless is ripping off artists if the design sends up selling like hot cakes.

As long as this restructure means that less great art goes unprinted, I'm all for it.

Mr Rocks
The Paper Crane said:

So average 1st print run = 400, working on a retail price of $20 and 10% royalties = $2 (20% of profit) you stand to make $800.

This $800 is assuming it has a one print lifetime, as Budi suggests.

It would be nice to know roughly what percentage of prints do get reprinted. I'm guessing 25%?

Nice work, you beat me to figuring out a basic number, but I agree, $800 seems an average earner.

This is good to know, and thanks Jeff. I understand those numbers aren't solid, but it's an informed guess coming from a staffer that makes it more than a community assumption, so thanks for taking the time to answer it.

As I have said in those other forums, my wins in the past felt good and rewarded more than expected, but never reprinted.....ever. So a print for me looks like earning less than average anyways. Not trying to be a downer, just a realist.

Once we see what the incentives and tips amount to, it will be clear what the possibilities are. I think personally for me, I'll be sticking to the themed challenges.

thompson98
dudeowl said:

this sucks. It makes me ask myself, Should I just submit somewhere else?

Mr Rocks

Plus, and I know this applied to most anyways, I now have to pay tax on this approx $800 so the take home is a lot less than the days of tax free $2000.

Again, not meaning to be a killjoy, but the hey day here seems to be over for me.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
thompson98 said:
dudeowl said:

If you think you have a better chance at earning more somewhere else, yes. Why shouldn't you? But consider this: if you submit no designs to Threadless then you have exactly zero chance of earning money at Threadless. Subbing also here doesn't cost you anything.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Who knows when or if I'll ever get another print but the 2K was a big motivator for me. There are so many threads where artists are encouraged to submit for fun and not stress over the big prize. Im not ashamed to admit I submit every design with the hopes of it printing and making a decent little payout. I'd be interested to see the new system in the works and whether or not it's worth the effort anymore. Im also a little bummed that folks like Blair and MRP and Morkki may not sub as much. Time will tell.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Hey, I don't see this affecting my subbing since I haven't been printed here for over a year anyway. Zero bucks is zero bucks. The $2000 was nice for a few hours of work but seriously I'm OK with a lot less.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

I guess instead of focusing on how little a design earns us now I can focus on how much more it could potentially earn in the long haul.

JaymeArt
Musarter said:

Getting ripped off stinks. >:[

Is 1200x1200 at 72dpi large enough to print (on a shirt) elsewhere? Could there be a Threadless watermark or something on our designs?

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

Almost everyone is doing it already way before Threadless took away the up front prize money. They are submitting their designs at different sites at the same time so I think more designers will do the same from now on.

thompson98 said:
dudeowl said:

Manupix

Is screen printing still the main print method?

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
Manupix said:

Is screen printing still the main print method?

Yep. I remember them confirming that in a different thread.

radiomode
Morkki said:
thompson98 said:
dudeowl said:

If you think you have a better chance at earning more somewhere else, yes. Why shouldn't you? But consider this: if you submit no designs to Threadless then you have exactly zero chance of earning money at Threadless. Subbing also here doesn't cost you anything.

So true

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us