Close
One second...

Prelim Sketches (latest: "Muted Affection”)

Here’s a peek at my process designing “Muted Affection”, for the Peanuts challenge.

True story: My brother happens to be a trombonist, so I have first hand knowledge of what it’s like to try to talk to someone and get those ridiculous noises in response.

Still scoring for a few more days...

My design “When a Mantis Loves a Woman” is shown here along with a few preliminary sketches and the behavior that inspired it.

Rejected titles include: Insecticide… Preying Mantis… Love, Eat, Prey… She’s a Mantiseater… Love Bites… Stand By Your Mantis

“Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance.”
- Jean-Paul Sartre

“Sorry, I think I already have plans that night.“
- person being invited to a dinner party by Jean-Paul Sartre

My design “Chaos Rains” is shown here in sketch form, along with the man who inspired it and the final product. It's still up for scoring/funding/commenting here.

The artistic process resulting in “Best Friends for Never” (still up for scoring/funding/commenting), was initially inspired by this incredibly catty exchange (pictured below) in Shakespeare’s “As You Like It”.

Please inquire privately about my book club if you’d like to hear more of my thoughts on things I haven’t read.

Here’s an attempt to show you guys my thought process as I develop my ham-handed bic pen sketches into ham-handed finished designs using Adobe Illustrator.

Fur Real” is still scoring/commenting/funding for the next few days.

It was important to get this one right because the drawing is going to be bald for me, Dorian Gray style, and then I can walk around looking just slightly less bald than the drawing for the rest of my life.

My latest design “Taco Eclipse of the Heart" was obviously inspired by the poor design of hard shell tacos and the Bonnie Tyler song with a similar title. You can still fund/score/comment for about a week. While you do that, perhaps I’ll start work on “Holding out for a Gyro”.

After sketching this idea, I Googled it to see if anyone else had thought of it. Turns out a number of people had, but they drew the grater. They all drew the grater. I thought to myself, everybody’s got it wrong

Don’t Shred on Me" is still up for scoring/commenting/funding.

Sometimes nobody asks what inspires my work, so let’s take my latest design "Embrace It" for an example. Here are the seeds of the idea:

1. This diorama at the Natural History Museum in New York

2. Professional Wrestling

Today’s the last day for scoring/commenting on/funding this design.

A couple of rough sketches and the finished designs they led to.

The internet was unambiguous in choosing it’s favorite, opting for the sweeter, more positive message. It is my personal promise to you as a designer that I will learn nothing form this.

If you want either one to be a t-shirt, "At a Loss", and "Through Thick and Thin" are still scoring/funding.

Some preliminary sketchbook work that led to my design currently scoring on Threadless.

"Carbe Diem" is about pancakes, which according to recent studies, are among the leading causes of yolobesity in America.

Some rough preliminary sketches for my design "No-brainer", which is still scoring.

I’ve been watching “Walking Dead”, and I think my problem in a zombie apocalypse would be that I have no transferrable skills. I don’t know how to shoot a gun or build a fire, and holding forth on mid-century American figurative expressionist painters would be of limited utility under those circumstances.

Things that suck:
1. vampires
2. my preliminary sketches

Still scoring.

Carefully honing my message.

Sometimes I imagine having to go back in time, meet my ancestors (who, in this fantasy, look and sound like Topol as Tevye in the 1971 film version of ”Fiddler on the Roof”), and explain to them what I do for a living.

Still scoring - links and info here.

"A drawing is simply a line going for a walk." - Paul Klee

So true… but in my drawings, during the course of the walk, the line inadvertently steps on a rake causing the handle to strike him in the face and break his glasses.

Both these are still scoring - links and info here.

Another set of perfectly good rough sketches that I ruined by finishing them.

All are still scoring - links and info here.

This set of sketches demonstrates:

a.) …how I develop and refine an idea, working towards clear and effective communication.

b.) …that I draw like I’m in the 2nd grade.

(still scoring in the Girly challenge for a few days here)

My two latest designs are about social media. Here they are again, along with some prelim sketches and a helpful example of a selfie, featuring actor James Franco.

You may laugh at Mr. Franco, but I found this pic on the tiger’s Facebook page with the message, “PURRRFECT day with J.F.! #feelingblessed #nomakeup”

It made me cringe a little, but I “liked” it because no one else had, you know?

Score here. Shop here.

More preliminary sketches. A peek inside my process for the zero people who were thinking, “How did he do that?”

Scoring here.

"Drawing is putting a line (a)round an idea." - Henri Matisse

"In drawing, nothing is better than the first attempt." - Pablo Picasso

"[A] quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business." - A.A. Milne

Here's where you can score the one with the burger.

Here's where you can get the one with the earthworm.

"I start with rough sketches, usually done when I’m out and about, and they look terrible. Really. My sketchbook is an absolute eyesore." - Me

Here’s the rest of the interview this quote came from.

Here’s where you can score the one with the shopping bag.

More of the precise draftsmanship and effortless finesse you’d expect in the preliminary sketches of a professional artist.

DaVinci-esque preliminary sketches for 3 of my Girly Collection subs.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

:-)

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

These are great!

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I love the paramecium one, it makes me happy.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

thx dudes! btw, it says next to some of your names on your posts "1 design submitted" or "2 designs submitted", but when I click, most of the profile pages show no designs scoring. Maybe there's a glitch?

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

Are you interested in doing a collab for the collaboration challenge? I have an idea that would work perfectly with your style. Feel free to contact me on sem.brys@gmail.com

vectored_life

Wanna collab with me? I have no ideas; you could draw them. Nevermind, it probably wouldn't work out well.

But seriously...

I love these prelim sketch threads you do! I love the glasses design.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

haha, thx dudes… i don't really ever collab because my own idea list is more than i can keep up with!

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
Christina.A.art said:

Christina.A.art
DRO72 said:
Christina.A.art said:

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

Sup guys, I consolidated and updated this.

Wow, didn't expect the 'tude from Julie Andrews.

Jake Friedman

Wow I can hardly tell the difference between the sketch and the final product!

joaowitt

These are real sketches! I lol when people come like "oh, just made this quick sketch" and post a motherfuckingawesome illustration.

Showing ugly sketches is one of those things that make people go on, because fuck, everyone can make ugly sketches.

Btw, love your work.

soloyo

Your latest one is a sure print!

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

Lovin' em! I really like seeing the super scrappy doodles of artists :) So much raw fun!

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

haha, thx jake!

right on, joawitt, i feel you!

soloyo, you obviously really know your shit. ;-)

thanks much brian, but i think you misspelled "crappy".

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

hey guys, i added burger & earthworm sketches (above)

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Lol prints for sure!!

soloyo

the burger one is GREAT

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

thx goliath72 and soloyo! collaborators in tha house!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I was actually expecting to see a doodle on a Shake Shack napkin. Please say it was so.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:

I was actually expecting to see a doodle on a Shake Shack napkin. Please say it was so.

well, yes and no… this sketch (below) was probably the start of the idea, and it was in fact created live on camera at the upper east side shake shack in nyc, while filming my MADE video. not on a napkin though.

i re-sketched it later (above) when i thought of better verbiage.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
Christina.A.art said:

i feel like he was underrated as a dancer.

soloyo

Is that Jim Carrey in the set of In Living Color?

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
soloyo said:

Is that Jim Carrey in the set of In Living Color?

true story: i actually thought that was vanilla ice when i found it and was seriously impressed with the dancing.

but soloyo's right, it was jim carrey.

well done jim carrey.

Christina.A.art

lol i thought that was jim carrey also

soloyo

I am surprise you haven't done one with a mirror yet. either a nice one: You look beautiful or a not so nice one: Don't blame me for the way you look

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
soloyo said:

I am surprise you haven't done one with a mirror yet. either a nice one: You look beautiful or a not so nice one: Don't blame me for the way you look

the latter (not so nice one) had in fact occurred to me… sometimes general ideas like that sit on the back burner for months or more until i happen to think of a way to make funny enough

vanillablue

Someone on LiveJournal has "You Red My Mind" as their user icon.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
vanillablue said:

people do that on Facebook too sometimes… not sure what LiveJournal is - should i be flattered, or should i call my lawyer? ;-)

vanillablue
DRO72 said:
vanillablue said:

people do that on Facebook too sometimes… not sure what LiveJournal is - should i be flattered, or should i call my lawyer? ;-)

Flattered! It used to be a very popular journal site back in the mid-2000s and faded as Myspace and the Facespace grew in popularity. I'm sure people still use LJ for their personal journals but it is also home to one of the best gossip communities on the web called Oh No They Didn't, which is where I saw the icon.

I have a celebrity gossip addiction :-/

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
nyenyerejunior said:

10000+ wow

thanks for the heads up! there's like 300,000 views! it kinda sucks that in the comments tons of people say they want them on shirts but don't realize they're available. anyone know how imgur works and if there's a way to let them know?

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
vanillablue said:
DRO72 said:
vanillablue said:

Flattered! It used to be a very popular journal site back in the mid-2000s and faded as Myspace and the Facespace grew in popularity. I'm sure people still use LJ for their personal journals but it is also home to one of the best gossip communities on the web called Oh No They Didn't, which is where I saw the icon.

I have a celebrity gossip addiction :-/

ok, good, then i'm flattered. thx, and no judgement, VB - it's a harmless vice. ;-)

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

2 more looks at the first moments after an idea is born.

that was harsh, jamie foxx.

Jake Friedman

Oh man, that eraser one is gold!

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

thanks jake!

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

Some of my friends were just posting some of your stuff on facebook so I pointed in the direction of your made shop/society6. Nice stuff as always

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

thx luis - you da man!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Incredible stuff as always!

I think there needs to be a cross promotion between "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" and Fireball whiskey….

soloyo

Latest one = Spoiler Blog Material

Christina.A.art

Nice! lol the donut sketch is print worthy :)

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni

thx nestor and christina! you're right pyne, go ahead and contact your people at fireball:

i should have chosen a gif with larger denominations

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us