From anything in life... do you let it bring you down? or get back up and try try try again? In the last couple months I have dealt with rejection in many different ways, I am stronger now from it.

Tell me your stories of how you deal with rejection in a positive way.

Watch this
spookylili
spookylili profile pic Alumni

Well first I get mad/sad/whatever. After that I try to see things from other people's perspectives to understand what I did wrong. And then I do what I can to improve things and try again or move on to other things :D

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

Blogs like this is a sure hint that your print will be on sale in a couple of days. And everyone will be surprised. Let me be the first one to congratulate you. Congratulation Theo86. Well-deserved print. :)

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni
Robo Rat said:

Blogs like this is a sure hint that your print will be on sale in a couple of days. And everyone will be surprised. Let me be the first one to congratulate you. Congratulation Theo86. Well-deserved print. :)

hehe thanks Robo Rat, always appreciate the support. :)

papaomaangas
papaomaangas profile pic Alumni
Robo Rat said:

WOW!

nintechno
nintechno profile pic Alumni

This phrase has helped me a lot

"Help me see this differently"

It's really hard, but, it makes all the difference.

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
nintechno said:

This phrase has helped me a lot

"Help me see this differently"

It's really hard, but, it makes all the difference.

This helps and also following it up with working on a new design.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I've been dealing with a lot of it too lately, at different levels, and I have been looking into what a bunch of smart people in the art world tend to say about it, and they give some darn good advice. Essentially it boils down to 'if you're failing, you're learning' - or you should be. So you look at it as a process. Sucking at something is the first step towards being kinda good at something. Also I ran across this thing this morning - http://distractify.com/people/famous-people-rejection-letters/

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

First "Damn Jeff!" but if my design is good enough, I resub without changing to another contest, then it's up lol. Jeff couldn't remember. LOL

Theo86
celandinestern said:

I've been dealing with a lot of it too lately, at different levels, and I have been looking into what a bunch of smart people in the art world tend to say about it, and they give some darn good advice. Essentially it boils down to 'if you're failing, you're learning' - or you should be. So you look at it as a process. Sucking at something is the first step towards being kinda good at something. Also I ran across this thing this morning - http://distractify.com/people/famous-people-rejection-letters/

reading those rejection letters really does make me want to try harder. :)

also @nintechno, "Help me see this differently" does help me.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Definitely try to learn from it and move on. It's tough sometimes, seeing your peers have more success than you are having, but typically you don't have a clue about how much they've busted their ass to get where they are. So I try to use them as inspiration and keep on keeping on. :-D

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni
Theo86 said:
Robo Rat said:

And if this is true, congrats, Theo! :-D

Theo86
TheInfamousBaka said:
Theo86 said:
Robo Rat said:

And if this is true, congrats, Theo! :-D

thanks, the only way this could be true is if Robo Rat had connections with threadless staff.

JaymeArt

It never feels good, but I try to remember --thats life. It's made up of ups and downs. Nice people/mean people. Good things/bad things. Rejection/acceptance --ect...

And try not to worry if it seems bad now, because good things will come too. Just notice them and dont focus on the bad.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

I don't really care anymore... over the years i've learned that the majority of my art probably does suck, and I've also learned that about 99% of artists in the world are terrible at creating art...

That's why I never quit my day job(s).

Who cares what people think anyway? :)

GunjanCreations

I go by the thought , 'desire not but deserve and you will get it ' . failures come my way as my most sincere teachers , the blow hurts initially , but want to improve each time . My passion is the drive that keeps me going . Am still learning :) With a hope to succeed I work hard .

Hvidsten

so many great points and quotes, i guess i could add my two cents and say sometimes we might take rejection personally because we are under the notion that what is popular is good or of value. But this could only be true in the long run as things that float quickly to the top may be often made of S**t. But Treasure is buried deep and may not always float to you on its own.

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

LGO: Life goes on. No matter how bad things seem as long as you keep breathing you've got a chance to make things better. Also don't want to push religion on anyone but prayer helps me.

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

I hate rejection. I take it way too personal and get wicked insecure about it. Eventually it fades and I get over it but...nope, don't like it. I do learn from it on some level though.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

Oh god those Leo gifs have made me genuinely sad now.

Rico and Ryder have a great point though. It's easy to fall in love with what you're doing and fail to realize it doesn't fit whatever you're subbing it for. (I'm guessing we're talking about art here and not personal rejections or other type of business or relationships) Like I applied to a few textile companies who do quilting fabrics, and they very politely said no. Looking back now (and this was a short while ago), I'm thinking OF COURSE they said no. My work is absolutely not fitted to quilting fabrics in any way. They're just not my market. What was I thinking. But you know, hindsight vision is 20/20, as they say.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
celandinestern said:

Rico and Ryder have a great point though. It's easy to fall in love with what you're doing and fail to realize it doesn't fit whatever you're subbing it for. (I'm guessing we're talking about art here and not personal rejections or other type of business or relationships) Like I applied to a few textile companies who do quilting fabrics, and they very politely said no. Looking back now (and this was a short while ago), I'm thinking OF COURSE they said no. My work is absolutely not fitted to quilting fabrics in any way. They're just not my market. What was I thinking. But you know, hindsight vision is 20/20, as they say.

I'd buy this as a quilt ANYDAY! Their loss for sure.

aqsmorningview

ssed usually if i get rejected it just wasnt a stron enough drawing.and after looking back at the piece i usually see what they were talking about

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni

Rejection is always tough. I try not to take it personally. I always listen to the critics- especially when they offer something constructive. Rejection most often motivates me to work harder.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

We all know that feeling. Your skin starts to burn, your hands clam up and you feel oddly nauseous... I say oddly because this reaction to rejection is self evidently psychosomatic. Here's how I like to rationalise away any feelings of poor luck or ideas that world owes me anything:

In the beginning there was no time or space, then a universe popped into being with forces so precisely tuned to eventually forming galaxies, that the odds of this ever happening in the first are mindbogglingly minute. Then, after 10 or so billion years, a planet formed that just so happened to be close enough, but not so far away from its star, a planet which also had surface conditions hospitable to the formation, or at least safe harbour, of early life. Something which, as far as we know could be completely unique across a billion, billion worlds.

Around this time, one of ancestors was 'born', and it, and every single one of its descendants managed, against all odds, to reproduce. That's a single, unbroken line of 'parent' and 'child' spanning from over a billion years in the past all the way up to you personally. Think of all the childless people you know today, or those who lost children, or who are infertile. Unfortunately for them, their billion year lineage is over. There is no special reason why this couldn't also have been the case for any one of your countless ancestors. But it wasn't, which is why you get the chance to even be here in the first place.

And you could go even further, to the fact that you won out of an uncountable number of other sperms just to be born, that you were born into the modern world, possibly in a first world country, to parents who could afford to keep you, or feed you, or give you an education, or the internet. You could even think of how any one of an infinite number of benign decisions made by you or any one of your ancestors could have resulted in a drastic change of circumstance.

I think of things like this when I need a sense of perspective, and it's never failed me yet.

Jake Friedman
FoodStampDavis said:

Meaningless, dead-eyed sex with strangers.

dead eye sex is also very good, make sure to wear protective goggles.

Goldendust

Not healthily, I don't think.

GunjanCreations
macdoodle said:
celandinestern said:

I'd buy this as a quilt ANYDAY! Their loss for sure.

Even I would buy this one , its awesome !! Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder !

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

I make shit I enjoy looking at. If people wanna invite my work to their party, good on them. If they don't, it won't stop the party I'm already having.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

Applies to life too. People know the beat they dance to, and they'll recognize yours if it falls in the same cadence.

No account?
Join Us