Close
One second...

Kidcity...Up already..thx for help.

WHOA!! UP ALREADY!!!

CLICK IMAGE TO SCORE.

Watch this
vectored_life

I would use maybe a dark blue. This is gonna be an awesome design.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

Add a brown and then you have the choice of brown, yellow or black hair and you can also use it for the clothes?

sausage_moe

cool! thanks guys. I'll give it a try. unfortunately not before tomorrow. I hate to leave unfinished designs...

gasponce

such a cool style!

sausage_moe

UPDATE: gawd, I suck at coloring... well, this is my next shot. better? couldn't really get the black hair to work with the black linework (at least not in this simple style). not liking the white shirt. will continue tomorrow. need sleep ;)

gasponce

the hair looks good inbrown andI don't mind the white though it does shift the focus from the background :/ so... I'll wait for your next update! Maybe use paler colours?

Manupix

I just have a bunch of unrelated / inconsistent hints about this, use at your own risk ;)

That's 9 colors, right? Makes it 10 with the shirt. That's too many: just forcibly remove at least 2 or 3 and experiment how you can manage it. Creative color problem solving usually comes from more constraints, not less!

There are presently separate color ramps: neutrals, blues, yellows, browns. Shift hues and try to build an integrated palette instead where colors interact more. Do not stick to realism! What's wrong with blue hair?

Specifically, orange sun, teal-like blues and reddish or purplish browns might work better with the grey shirt.

OR ELSE:

gasponce said:

Maybe use paler colours?

this, quite possibly.

Which might bring on a totally new direction for this:

• white or cream tee;

• less line work, more color patches;

• more 'kid-like' drawing and colors: might be pale and pastel, might be saturated and crazy.

Did this help or just make things worse? ;P

sausage_moe
Manupix said:

I just have a bunch of unrelated / inconsistent hints about this, use at your own risk ;)

That's 9 colors, right? Makes it 10 with the shirt. That's too many: just forcibly remove at least 2 or 3 and experiment how you can manage it. Creative color problem solving usually comes from more constraints, not less!

There are presently separate color ramps: neutrals, blues, yellows, browns. Shift hues and try to build an integrated palette instead where colors interact more. Do not stick to realism! What's wrong with blue hair?

Specifically, orange sun, teal-like blues and reddish or purplish browns might work better with the grey shirt.

OR ELSE:

gasponce said:

Maybe use paler colours?

this, quite possibly.

Which might bring on a totally new direction for this:

• white or cream tee;

• less line work, more color patches;

• more 'kid-like' drawing and colors: might be pale and pastel, might be saturated and crazy.

Did this help or just make things worse? ;P

just made it worse;) but no...those are not 9 colors...why? the shading will be halftones...is that how you got there? just uploaded new shiftarounds but not different colors.

sausage_moe

uh, sry. didn't mention: apreciate your input. a lot. speaking of changing the linework, that's something to consider for the next piece or a remake. as far as the different, unrealistic approach is concerned, you might be right. will think about that!

sausage_moe

just a lot to take in atm

sausage_moe

haha. hope you'll be back tomorrow to elaborate further, manupix. on second reading, I think I misinterpreted half of what you said and am sure I still cannot follow all of it. confused me a little...

maybe it's time to finally buy that book about colors and stuff I've been avoiding for so long :P

well. I added another Version, but it is weirding me out. I'm sure it's not what you were going for either. would be delighted to hear some more from you.

sausage_moe

problem is...I honestly cannot tell which colors go good together, even when I see them. also there always is a huge difference between screens and on-/offline. for instance, I thought my sun was kinda warm yellow/orangy...but in the blogs it isn't anymore.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

v2 for me, i like the white on the front kid, seems to add depth

gasponce

v4 for me is the best and those colours I think give it a more " grown up" look! esp. the brown pants!

rskinner1122
rskinner1122 profile pic Alumni

I myself would make everything different shades of black and white and one focus on making the paint color amazing!!! using some cool textures in the paint!! good luck!!! looks great!

sausage_moe
GunjanCreations said:

Hi , you may use https://kuler.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/ , it will prove to be helpful .

I actually tried that. But it's not proving so helpful, when you don't know whaat you're looking for :)

I think I a gonna sub something close to V4. I like it, and at least it was among the choices of some of you.

I hope I don't come on as ungrateful or immune to criticism. I just don't feel like I can transfer the help and tips you all gave me to a better color scheme right now. I will work on that problem in my future subs and little by little I hope I'll get there someday.

thanks everybody for your input. btw...you can still critisize.

gasponce

the mockup looks excellent! Although maybe the yellow dots would look good also?

The Paper Crane

For some reason I don't like the blue and grey together so prefer v7.

sausage_moe
The Paper Crane said:

For some reason I don't like the blue and grey together so prefer v7.

i get that. but i think the yelow shirt is clashing with the sun/paint.

gasponce said:

the mockup looks excellent! Although maybe the yellow dots would look good also?

like the yellow dots better as well. just felt weird to have an extra color (blue) just for 1 boy's shirt. so maybe...in conclusion i should pick V7 or...try something else.

gasponce

no! v7 looks bland! v6 if it doesn't work with yellow dots, or you don't like it with yellow dots looks great as it is! sub!

gasponce

on grey tshirt like the mockup!

sausage_moe

allright. thanks a lot for your help and input. will sub it...

The Paper Crane

What about a little bit of blue sky Just to balance it out a bit? (Ignore if subbed already)

sausage_moe

will try that. thx!

sausage_moe

how bout that. blue's really strong now...but good idea nonetheless, methinks.

The Paper Crane

I think that adds some nice depth and perspective and brightens it up too.

spookylili
1 design submitted -

nice! I like it with the blue sky, looks more balanced

nerrik

Using the hue and saturation tool in photoshop I made some of these colours that looked alright.

sausage_moe

Interesting. But so unusual for me / what i've done so far it might take some getting used to...

sausage_moe

thanks for your work, nerrik. I'm feeling too insecure about these drastic changes and I actually like the yellow/grey thing...so I will sub that. maybe in the future Ill be braver.

Thanks everybody for helping out!!! Maybe I can repay the favor somewhere someday.

sausage_moe

that. was. fast. up for voting.

vectored_life

Not as fast as this 5 I gave it! lol, nice job though.

Manupix

Good job! That blue sky did it I think. Going to score right away.

Nerrik's second version is exactly what I had in mind btw ;) Those colors balance better with the grey, at least in my eye.

Maybe what's most confusing with this design after all is, it's neither a monochromatic design, nor a really colorful one. Like you're fighting with the amount of grey instead of either embracing it, or skipping it. Well this probably doesn't make much sense either haha :S

sausage_moe
Manupix said:

Good job! That blue sky did it I think. Going to score right away.

Nerrik's second version is exactly what I had in mind btw ;) Those colors balance better with the grey, at least in my eye.

Maybe what's most confusing with this design after all is, it's neither a monochromatic design, nor a really colorful one. Like you're fighting with the amount of grey instead of either embracing it, or skipping it. Well this probably doesn't make much sense either haha :S

yes, it does make a lot of sense. Couldn't have said it any better in hindsight. The sky was a great idea for sure (not mine:) and I thought nerriks colors were nice and guessed it is what you meant but felt really weird, since it is such a strong contrast to the yellow/orange that I picked right at the start and liked.

anyways. thank you for your input. you made me doubt some of my choices wich already made the design better.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Awesome!

nerrik said:

Using the hue and saturation tool in photoshop I made some of these colours that looked alright.

sausage_moe

okayokay...maybe I'll sub those later. as a collab with nerrik :P

No account?