Close
One second...

New Threadless Terms & Conditions

...so on April 1, 2014, chosen designs will get royalties equal to a minimum of 20% of Threadess’ net profits per unit sold? Not a cash payment? (except for challenges?)

--what about royalties on derivative works of an artists design?

--What is sub-licensing?

--What are 'moral rights' we are waving to our design?

Watch this
melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

"Cash prizes aren’t going away. We know you love them, and we love them too. We’ll be giving cash out for weekly winners as well as for design challenge winners."

JaymeArt

Will it be the same amount? :]

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

...so on April 1, 2014, chosen designs will get royalties equal to a minimum of 20% of Threadess’ net profits per unit sold? Not a cash payment? (except for challenges?)

Yes. Weekly prints will be on royalties. By June (probably) it'll be set up on monthly royalty payments. You'll be able to track it on Artist Dashboard. There will still be the cash prizes for design challenges, and some weekly incentives that we'll establish soon.

what about royalties on derivative works of an artists design?

Derivative works just means if we change a color on the design or if we just change the shirt color - just anything we do to basically make it best suited for the printers. The royalties system is for everything we sell your product on.

What is sub-licensing?

Basically so that we can give you more opportunities and get paid for more opportunities. For example, if we presented your design to get picked up by a wholesaler, etc.

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I like 20% and i think its fair enough!!!!!

RicoMambo
1 design submitted -

1000 units X 20$ = 20000:5= 4000$ :)

JaymeArt
jeffreyg said:

Yes. Weekly prints will be on royalties. By June (probably) it'll be set up on monthly royalty payments. You'll be able to track it on Artist Dashboard. There will still be the cash prizes for design challenges, and some weekly incentives that we'll establish soon.

what about royalties on derivative works of an artists design?

Derivative works just means if we change a color on the design or if we just change the shirt color - just anything we do to basically make it best suited for the printers. The royalties system is for everything we sell your product on.

What is sub-licensing?

Basically so that we can give you more opportunities and get paid for more opportunities. For example, if we presented your design to get picked up by a wholesaler, etc.

thank you for the answers. :] Im guessing it will be a much lower cash prize on the weekly winners?

RicoMambo
1 design submitted -

100X20=2000:5=400$

good

jeffreyg
RicoMambo said:

I like your thinking. If it's a good design, it will sell well, and you will be compensated appropriately :]

jeffreyg

Oh as for "moral rights" it's pretty much the same thing - when you waive your moral rights-- it gives us the flexibility to make alterations to their original artwork without complaints. (i.e. slight color changes or blank color tee changes)

JaymeArt
jeffreyg said:
RicoMambo said:

I like your thinking. If it's a good design, it will sell well, and you will be compensated appropriately :]

what percentage of the designs actually sell that many?

RicoMambo
1 design submitted -

JFTR 20% is best royalties in the world now, at least i work with....

i think i worked with all :)

jeffreyg

I wouldn't say every shirt takes off instantly and sells hundreds or thousands. For those that do, great. But, lots of thought went into these chosen percentages and numbers, and they're all to the benefit of the artist. So, while the $2000 flat intial payment may be out of the picture, the amount an artist can make with royalties either over time, or with the addition of reprints, etc. can surpass the $2000 easily.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

Couple more questions:

• What is a "royalty?" Like a king or queen? Are we getting 20% of a king or queen? Do we choose which portion of the body we recieve?
  • What is a "t-shirt?" I mean, do T's wear shirts now? And what's the deal with airline food? Dating's weird, right?
curtisE
curtisE profile pic Alumni

Is the $500 Threadless gift code still part of the package?

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Hey Jeff, any chance we could see some real numbers for how many shirts actually sell?

I'm curios as to how many are sold in a weeks time for a new print. Amount sold for a trendy/pop culture design vs. an artsy one. The exact name of the print doesn't matter, I just want to see the numbers.

jeffreyg
curtisE said:

Is the $500 Threadless gift code still part of the package?

There'll be gift codes still but the amount will change - I'll have to double check that amount

jeffreyg
RicoMambo said:

Just to clarify for everyone, its 20% net profits

JaymeArt
xiv said:

Hey Jeff, any chance we could see some real numbers for how many shirts actually sell?

I'm curios as to how many are sold in a weeks time for a new print. Amount sold for a trendy/pop culture design vs. an artsy one. The exact name of the print doesn't matter, I just want to see the numbers.

Yes, could you please give us an example for an average selling shirt?
Like what could an artist realistically expect to receive for a print if it sold (X) after 20% net profits...

enaych
jeffreyg said:
RicoMambo said:

And, so people can wrap their minds around some realistic numbers, about how much is the net profit on a $20 shirt? Would the net profit for the price of another shirt/item be roughly the same percentage, or is their a wide variance?

mohacsy
mohacsy profile pic Alumni

watching

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni
enaych said:
jeffreyg said:
RicoMambo said:

And, so people can wrap their minds around some realistic numbers, about how much is the net profit on a $20 shirt? Would the net profit for the price of another shirt/item be roughly the same percentage, or is their a wide variance?

Not many companies are going to give you a breakdown of their profit margins, but the email did say that they'll be rolling out the dashboard in a few weeks, which, in my understanding, will give artists all the numbers on sales and royalties accrued.

Personally, all this sounds really good to me. They prefaced the email by with a statement saying that the changes will make it "easier to get printed", which I can only interpret as meaning by un-complicating contracts, and restructuring up-front payments for regular submissions, they'll be in a position to print more new tees week to week. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

JaymeArt

the changes will make it "easier to get printed", which I can only interpret as meaning by un-complicating contracts, and restructuring up-front payments for regular submissions, they'll be in a position to print more new tees week to week. Of course, I could be wrong about that. ~melmike

Like they can print more designs if they are not paying each artist that big cash payment, and instead paying according to how each one sells?

It would be awesome if it was easier to get printed. It would also mean there are more shirts for buyers to pick from, so you would really have to stand out to do well.

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

Normally, how much does a designer gets paid after a design has been sold out with girly and guys sizes for royalty based designs? Did the payments varies if there are sales?

JaymeArt

I would have been happy to sell a design for 2000. -outright. --with no further future profits.

vanillablue
melmike said:
enaych said:
jeffreyg said:
RicoMambo said:

Not many companies are going to give you a breakdown of their profit margins, but the email did say that they'll be rolling out the dashboard in a few weeks, which, in my understanding, will give artists all the numbers on sales and royalties accrued.

This is true. Our fabulous tech team developed a pretty awesome algorithm to calculate these numbers. I think that you guys will be really happy when you see it in the wild. We saw it here recently and I think it is amazing.

JaymeArt

I think that you guys will be really happy when you see it in the wild. We saw it here recently and I think it is amazing. ~vanillablue

Ok then. I'm gonna stop hyperventilating and work on getting a print :]

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

I believe that the staffs are pointing out that the fixed prized money will only be granted on Themed Challenges starting on April 1. No more $2000 up front if a design is picked for the regular Threadless open-ended design challenge, it will be based on royalties.

BurritoGoblin
BurritoGoblin profile pic Alumni

wanna see that dashbort ~

JaymeArt
Robo Rat said:

I believe that the staffs are pointing out that the fixed prized money will only be granted on Themed Challenges starting on April 1. No more $2000 up front if a design is picked for the regular Threadless open-ended design challenge, it will be based on royalties.

I thought there would still be a cash prize, --but a smaller amount that hasnt been revealed yet. (plus royalties)

JaymeArt
mitchloidolt said:

wanna see that dashbort ~

meeee toooo ;]

No account?
Join Us