Close
One second...

New T's & C's Discussion

So, undoubtedly many of you have received the email about the new terms and conditions. There was one part which confused me a bit:

Under our new terms and conditions, you, the artist, will retain the rights to your design and grant Threadless a non-exclusive right to produce your design on all product categories

Does this mean we can print our selected Threadless designs on shirts elsewhere? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

I avoided putting any of my designs elsewhere for such a long time.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Sounds like it. Big changes. I like them all.

LauraCat
LauraCat profile pic Staff

Not a dumb question at all! Yes, you can print your design elsewhere, as long the terms of the agreement are also non-exclusive. Feel free to reach out directly to me with any specific questions you may have, I'm here to help! (laurac@threadless.com)

queenmob
queenmob profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

That are crazy and great changes, yes yes. Now, the thing I am unclear on: Does that mean I can print designs going back to my first print in 2009 on apparel now? Or is this only for new designs that get accepted?

LauraCat

The same terms apply to your previously printed designs as well!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Whoa! Now to get some more prints

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

Thanks for clarifying Laura. It seems weird, I've had people contact me directly over the years to order out of print designs personally from me. I'd kind of feel like I was cheating on my girlfriend putting a Threadless shirt on another site.

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni

so no more $2000 check? :( i'm quite confused is there an spanish version of the new terms and conditions?

Farnell
Farnell profile pic Alumni

Right, so your saying If threadless selects one of my designs for a shirt, and then a week later another company are interested in it, then I can sell it to them too?

If this is true this is great but a little bit odd...

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Good for artists but surely not good for threadless?

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
MadCobra said:

so no more $2000 check? :( i'm quite confused is there an spanish version of the new terms and conditions?

Let me get on that.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff
MadCobra said:

The challenges will still have the grand prize money. There will still be cash incentive things for the weekly prints which we'll establish soon.

jeffreyg
Farnell said:

Right, so your saying If threadless selects one of my designs for a shirt, and then a week later another company are interested in it, then I can sell it to them too?

If this is true this is great but a little bit odd...

Yes, but they must have a non-exclusive contract

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:

The challenges will still have the grand prize money. There will still be cash incentive things for the weekly prints which we'll establish soon.

That is a major change.

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

I'm really curious to see how this will affect artists whose work doesn't sell very well, like myself. Besides a few of my early prints, they haven't seemed to sell many shirts at all.

wowrainbows

Also, really not excited about paypal.

jeffreyg
wowrainbows said:

Also, really not excited about paypal.

No fees are taken out anymore.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Wut, no fees? You mean Threadless pays the fees or whuh?

jeffreyg
Morkki said:

Yup. We've negotiated with Paypal so that there are no fees taken out - you get 100% of your payment. The reason we've shifted to PayPal is because we're going to a more automated system

wowrainbows

The reason we've shifted to PayPal is because we're going to a more automated system

That's understandable. I'll just miss those sweet, sweet paper checks.

Steger
Steger profile pic Alumni
jeffreyg said:
Morkki said:

Yup. We've negotiated with Paypal so that there are no fees taken out - you get 100% of your payment. The reason we've shifted to PayPal is because we're going to a more automated system

I assume this means Robot Jeffs.

queenmob
1 design submitted -
jeffreyg said:
Morkki said:

OK you guys rock so hard.... :D

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

i havnt gotten the e-mail phone buzzes nevermind

queenmob
1 design submitted -

So just to be clear again: I could submit any of my printed designs to, e.g., Teefury now. And you guys wouldn"t be pissed at me because of that?

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
queenmob said:

So just to be clear again: I could submit any of my printed designs to, e.g., Teefury now. And you guys wouldn"t be pissed at me because of that?

LOL

wowrainbows

I'm guessing this system will allow for more risks for selecting a design?

jeffreyg
queenmob said:

Technically, yes.

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni
jeffreyg said:
Morkki said:

to bad for countries that can't withdraw funds from paypal like mine :(

lunchboxbrain
lunchboxbrain profile pic Alumni

Overall, these changes seem really fair to both artists and Threadless. I dig the fact that artists will be able to view sales much like the systems put in place by Creative Market and Society6.

Quick Q for Threadless staff: Are Threadless + Gap designs now free to print wherever we please?

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

if we are keeping the rights now, how about t-shirts that have already been printed on other sites e.g., Teefury?

louisroskosch

i mean, can we sub them here?

jeffreyg
wowrainbows said:

I'm guessing this system will allow for more risks for selecting a design?

I mean we're still holding up everything to the standard as usual. We have been picking a bunch of designs recently that are a bit more away from the norm so look out for those

jeffreyg
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
Morkki said:

to bad for countries that can't withdraw funds from paypal like mine :(

We will be doing checks for countries that don't support Paypal!

jeffreyg
louisroskosch said:

i mean, can we sub them here?

As long as the site they're coming from is a non-exclusive contract. It's really important to read their contracts and understand what category their contracts fall in.

louisroskosch

most excellent. thanks jeff!

queenmob
1 design submitted -
jeffreyg said:
queenmob said:

Technically, yes.

Will Jeffreyg be disappointing in me? :(

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

These all seem like great changes all around. I feel like if I get prints in the future I'll be getting a pay cut, but it seems like it will allow Threadless to take some risks which makes me happy.

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

dumb question: wheres this dashboard thingy that tracks everything?

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

This is good news! Good moves! Have to get used to the idea of subbing printed yet non-exclusive printed designs on other sites though... Habits....

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Yep, musn't be up yet...

agrimony said:

dumb question: wheres this dashboard thingy that tracks everything?

LauraCat

If you haven't been recently printed, you may not be able to view your Artist Dashboard just yet. Very soon, all of our printed designers will have access to this, which will also include the new Royalty Tracking feature. We'll send another email announcement at this time, stay tuned!!

louisroskosch

gotta say i am happy with these changes. i thought we might see a bit of a change to threadless at some point but didn't think it would be this soon.

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

cool!

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

This might be a dumb question, but if Kathryn organized her books onto 4 shelves - the top shelf holds 5 books, the second shelf holds 7, and the 2 bottom shelves hold the same number of books - and she has a total of 24 books, how many books does each bottom shelf hold?

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

If any of you need the spanish version of the email (or just want it because its awesome and in spanish) email artist.help@threadless.com and we'll get a copy of it for you.

Note: The terms and conditions legalese is still in english but the email explaining everything is in spanish (and awesome. Did I mention it was awesome?)

Si alguien necesita una copia del email en espanol por favor no duden en enviar un correo a artist.help@threadless.com.

Steger
Steger profile pic Alumni

Awesome. Excited about all the changes. Thanks to Threadless for continuing to evolve. Looking forward to the Dashboard a lot (because I'm assuming I'll be getting another print any day now...or I'll just wait for the mass rollout).

LauraCat
lunchboxbrain said:

Overall, these changes seem really fair to both artists and Threadless. I dig the fact that artists will be able to view sales much like the systems put in place by Creative Market and Society6.

Quick Q for Threadless staff: Are Threadless + Gap designs now free to print wherever we please?

Yes, the designs from the Gap partnership will now be under the new terms. You can print a design elsewhere, but only if the agreement is also non-exclusive. Jeffrey and I might be saying that a lot ;)

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I love that we get our rights back, but I have to ask - why? Doesn't Threadless thrive off of selling exclusive designs? Like Paper Crane said, this rules for designers but doesn't this suck for Threadless?

sausage_moe

Great stuff. All i need to do now is get printed!

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni

So shirts that were printed then taken down for copyright aren't just in a graveyard now? That's good news

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?