Close
One second...

Game of Thrones + Groundhog's Day *UPDATED 3/7/14* - Need Critique

Hi yall! With the parody deadline around sometime next week I decided I would give it a crack. Something different from my usual style. It's supposed to be a take off on Game of Thrones and Groundhog's Day. You know that saying Ned Stark always said, "Winter is Coming", well that must be how the groundhog feels. I tried to capture that whole mentality and make it dramatic. I could use some tips on how to make it better though. Do you think the connection between the groundhog and seeing his shadow spelling out 6 more weeks of winter and Ned Stark's saying is clear enough? Do you think adding color would add to the design? Help and any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

(See posts below for updates)

Watch this
Wonderlove

Great work. How about having the groundhog's shadow in the foreground with his sword shattering it in an abstract kind of way?

khavall

Maybe the groundhog should birth a shadow monster like the red lady lol....

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

My only crit is that I never would have put two and two together to get the joke without the explanation. Not sure how'd you could fix that though. Great art regardless.

com00020

I agree with melmike, concept may be not the easiest to get but the design's great, well done.

tohellandback

the art is really good but i agree that the parody isn't strong enough, and even if you added sayings and so, at least for me i wouldn't know what's about, just would recognize the throne because is iconic, so maybe you could pick other iconic figure to portrait. although using the groundhog reference is different and can be really silly in a good way. and fans of those will love it.

khavall

Updates: I switched over to an engraver style shading to give it some texture. Which version do you prefer or think I should pursue? Personally I'm leaning towards the "traditional groundhog day tophat" version unless someone has a compelling argument to go without it. As far as showing the shadow, that isn't going to happen, but what I can do it show some kind of sun above the throne? Would adding some kind of typography help the parody? I threw together a couple of quick sketches below. The sun and typography shown would not be final. Let me know which version you prefer and why. THANKS! 1. No tophat, engraving style shading 2. With the Groundhog Day tophat, engraving style shading 3. With some kind of typography 4. With some kind of sun

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Yep, I think adding winter is coming gets the joke across very well. I'd lose feb 2 though. And the sun. Perhaps try to shade the type in the same style?

This is looking amazing.

Emilie_Boisvert

The typography would fix that. I would vote for no. 3 with Typography.

melmike said:

My only crit is that I never would have put two and two together to get the joke without the explanation. Not sure how'd you could fix that though. Great art regardless.

khavall

Eye Exam time! 1 or 2? 1....or 2? which do you prefer? top = 1, bottom =2

Emilie_Boisvert

The simplicity found in your previous typography example (version 3) takes less attention away from the image than these two, however if it comes down to a choice between them, I would say the first one.

Hope this helps!

khavall
Emilie_Boisvert said:

The simplicity found in your previous typography example (version 3) takes less attention away from the image than these two, however if it comes down to a choice between them, I would say the first one.

Hope this helps!

Aw damn already submitted it. Went with the bottom version too lol. O well.

No account?
Join Us