Newbie has questions about T-shirt design

My designs focus more on clever wording coupled with stock photos e.g. bunny, airplane, skiers, mountains. Question being: where's the best place to find stock photos, that won't infringe on trademarks?

Watch this
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

They'd better be some pretty damn clever words for that type of design to be successful here

GAZPACHO

Don't even bother submitting with stock photos...

bwaller88

I've seen several t-shirts with pretty basic skulls, horses etc. Does every single artist create those themselves? Or pull pictures from the web? I guess what I'm asking is, is it OK to use images from other sources?

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Trademarks are logos and brand names and such. Copyrights cover intellectual property, such as stock photos. If you utilise any kind of stock photos in your designs, you'll most likely need to remake them in some way, and to an extent where the image is so far from the original it's become more yours than the original photographer's.

bwaller88

Thank you meimike. And thank you for the correction, I should have said "infringe on Copyrights".

Just so I'm clear, any whale, bike, sun, etc. I see on t-shirt designs are designed by the respective artist? If they aren't they're risking legal action. I understand you're not my lawyer, so I will take your feedback in good faith.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni
bwaller88 said:

Just so I'm clear, any whale, bike, sun, etc. I see on t-shirt designs are designed by the respective artist? If they aren't they're risking legal action. I understand you're not my lawyer, so I will take your feedback in good faith.

Most of the time yes, there are some printed designs here that use photographs, often photos in the public domain or taken by the artist themselves.

Attracting trouble by using someone else's property only brings with it headaches and drama, so stay away from it as Threadless and (the majority) of Threadless's users

GAZPACHO

If you want to get printed, I suggest you draw out everything. Don't use someone elses photos/art.

bwaller88 said:

I've seen several t-shirts with pretty basic skulls, horses etc. Does every single artist create those themselves? Or pull pictures from the web? I guess what I'm asking is, is it OK to use images from other sources?

No account?
Join Us