Close
One second...

we need to talk about True Detective

let's do it.

Watch this
Wheels03
1 design submitted - Score now!

Fantastic show! Between Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, and True Detective, I'm convinced Matthew McConaughey sold his soul to the devil for all the talent he's produced lately.

FoodStampDavis

So much to say and to think about. My friends and I have been endlessly talking about his show since it started.

Today I downloaded the iBook of "The King in Yellow."

Before even getting into questions and theories and all that fun stuff, I wanna say that I can' think of a show that has had a more rock-solid 5 episode run than this one. That becomes an even greater achievement when you consider that it's the first 5 episodes ever.

Wheels03
1 design submitted - Score now!
foodstampdavis said:

So much to say and to think about. My friends and I have been endlessly talking about his show since it started.

Today I downloaded the iBook of "The King in Yellow."

Before even getting into questions and theories and all that fun stuff, I wanna say that I can' think of a show that has had a more rock-solid 5 episode run than this one. That becomes an even greater achievement when you consider that it's the first 5 episodes ever.

Read this if you haven't already.

I'm sad it's only a self-contained season, but really looking forward to how it all ends!

FoodStampDavis

I've already spent all morning going over theories with Threadless' very own miscreant tech guy, Tristan. So I'm theoried-out for now. ha

But, knowing that "The King in Yellow" is a collection of short stories with that connect via a meta-fictional play that literally drives people insane if the see/read it and knowing that True Detective is going to be an anthology series with all new characters/setting/story each season, I think we may be looking at a show about people being driven to insanity - Rust Cohle being the first.

That was a long sentence.

FoodStampDavis
Wheels03 said:
foodstampdavis said:

So much to say and to think about. My friends and I have been endlessly talking about his show since it started.

Today I downloaded the iBook of "The King in Yellow."

Before even getting into questions and theories and all that fun stuff, I wanna say that I can' think of a show that has had a more rock-solid 5 episode run than this one. That becomes an even greater achievement when you consider that it's the first 5 episodes ever.

Read this if you haven't already.

I'm sad it's only a self-contained season, but really looking forward to how it all ends!

Oh, I've read it. That's why I'm checking out the stories tonight. The book is free on iTunes and various pdf's floating around out there.

TheInfamousBaka

I've only seen the first two episodes since they haven't shown a repeat of episode 3 yet, but I really like it so far!

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
1 design submitted - Score now!

I need to watch that, its on my list

FoodStampDavis
TheInfamousBaka said:

I've only seen the first two episodes since they haven't shown a repeat of episode 3 yet, but I really like it so far!

So you haven't even seen how Rust turns into a dragon in episode 5?

dnice25
2 designs submitted - Score now!

It's pretty damn great so far. It's probably the best acting combo ever on TV

TheInfamousBaka

Also, after binge-watching Cheers, Woody is one of my favorite actors ever.

dnice25
2 designs submitted - Score now!
TheInfamousBaka said:

Also, after binge-watching Cheers, Woody is one of my favorite actors ever.

Great actor!! his library of work is crazy!!!

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
1 design submitted - Score now!

See now I just wanna watch a buddy cop series with Woody and Wooderson (from dazed and confused).

FoodStampDavis
lxromero said:

See now I just wanna watch a buddy cop series with Woody and Wooderson (from dazed and confused).

Oh, True Detective is JUST like that.

FoodStampDavis
Wheels03 said:

Fantastic show! Between Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, and True Detective, I'm convinced Matthew McConaughey sold his soul to the devil for all the talent he's produced lately.

I think he's always been pretty talented, he's just now getting some more varied stuff to do. Have you seen Killer Joe?

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
1 design submitted - Score now!

They could have called it "Woods", or "Hard as Wood". Woody and Wooderson P.I.

FoodStampDavis
lxromero said:

They could have called it "Woods", or "Hard as Wood". Woody and Wooderson P.I.

Knock on Wood Wood Cop/Bad Cop

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
1 design submitted - Score now!

These are also great names for pornos

Wheels03
1 design submitted - Score now!
foodstampdavis said:
Wheels03 said:

Fantastic show! Between Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, and True Detective, I'm convinced Matthew McConaughey sold his soul to the devil for all the talent he's produced lately.

I think he's always been pretty talented, he's just now getting some more varied stuff to do. Have you seen Killer Joe?

Completely agree! He's always been talented, just seeing him in all these great roles is refreshing. Haven't seen Killer Joe, is it worth a watch?

ChrisDB

Will check it out

Musarter
Wheels03 said:

Also, this...

I have not seen the show, but after watching that scene have to now.

Jake Friedman

I dig it. I'm curious in what direction it goes, and to avoid spoilers, I guess I'll just stay very vague.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I thought episodes two and three actually dragged on a lot, but the last two have been solid. Also, it's great to watch a show that takes place in the South, and not be distracted by how terrible the accents are.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Also, Brian thought Matthew McConaughey was British for some reason, even though I'm pretty sure he has never played a non-Texan ever.

mike bautista

I need to wrap my head around what Brian thought. it makes no dang sense to me.

Morkki
1 design submitted - Score now!

The expectations for season 2 will be off the scale. Well, my expectations for the rest of season 1 are pretty much off the scale already.

FoodStampDavis
Wheels03 said:
foodstampdavis said:
Wheels03 said:

Fantastic show! Between Dallas Buyers Club, Wolf of Wall Street, and True Detective, I'm convinced Matthew McConaughey sold his soul to the devil for all the talent he's produced lately.

I think he's always been pretty talented, he's just now getting some more varied stuff to do. Have you seen Killer Joe?

Completely agree! He's always been talented, just seeing him in all these great roles is refreshing. Haven't seen Killer Joe, is it worth a watch?

Definitely.

Wheels03
1 design submitted - Score now!

So is everyone caught up with last Sunday's episode yet? Only one more to go!

Semi-Spoilers Below...

I'm really kind of disappointed they haven't introduced any kind of supernatural element to the show. With all this talk of The Yellow King, Carcosa, and spaghetti monsters, I was kinda hoping there would be more tie-ins with Chambers. As crazy as it sounds, I really think it would be amazing to have these murders in connection to some kind of spirit/monster.

Who knows, maybe they'll introduce something out of left field next week and completely blow us away!

What do you think?

mike bautista

I dunno if it'll get supernatural. it feels more like everyone's just going insane. but you never know. the last episode could lead up to something bigger. if it doesn't, I'd be fine with it. and there's always other seasons to do what they want, since they're all self-contained.

parallelish
1 design submitted - Score now!

Didn't really like the ending, kinda too simple.

Great show though.

No account?