Close
One second...

Happening in Venezuela right now

Hi all :)


I haven't been active here for many months, not for lack of interest or ideas but because 2013 was a very challenging, even trying, year for me and most Venezuelans. 2014 is even harder, so far.


I have a long list of submission ideas and even a WIP with Soloyo (which i haven't forgotten, btw), but today i'd like to tell you about what's happening in Venezuela right now.


Our government has taken control of most media and is violating basic civil rights in many ways. International awareness is essential so that things here can get better instead of worse. Please help spread the word.


Here is a video with the facts so far, explained in a simple, direct manner:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFS6cP9auDc


Here are Pictures from Twitter #SOSVenezuela


You can also just google Venezuela for news and articles if you'd like to know more details, etc.
Thank you :)




Watch this
ChrisDB

I was now reading up what's going on. I'm right next door in Trinidad. Stay safe Pez!

Daviisilva

Hello Jose! Stay safe - will spread the word!

ivanrodero

Es terrible lo que viene pasando en Venezuela, aún más ahora, los últimos días han sido muy fuertes y lamentablemente resultado de cosas que se venían venir hace mucho, es terrible y espero que la libertad y la justicia prevalezcan.

Fuerza y animo.

Pez Banana

Thank you, guys! I never would have imagined we'd be living in a de facto dictatorship, with more violent deaths than in a war, but here we are 15 years into it, and we've had enough. Every share, every word of support, every thought and prayer helps. :)

melmike

Kudos for raising awareness, I had no idea. Hope your country can get through this real soon.

Musarter
1 design submitted - Score now!

This is crazy. The craziest part is that no one is talking about this anywhere. A search on Google of, "unrest in Venezuela," only brought back results from mid-2013. You would think a basic search on "Venezuela" would bring up many stories around this current problem. People need to know what is going on.

Stay safe, my prayers are with you and Venezuela.

dnice25

This is crazy!!! I was completely unaware. I'm so sorry, I will spread the word and stay safe over there.

Pez Banana

Regarding the absence or shortage of news: that might be because Venezuelan government has censored most news and media, so there's very limited information going out, or even within the country. We are making do with contents posted by our own citizens on Twitter and YouTube. Very little professional reporting going on.

What's happening right now might just be "the beginning of the end": either the end of Chavez's Socialist regime (now in almost full dictatorship mode), or the end of the opposition, which would mean Venezuela will become another Cuba or Zimbabwe (two countries whose history we are repeating in many ways).

However bleak and violent the situation might be right now, sadly it is just a "concentrated" form of the usual daily violence and oppression we have been living for the past 15 years.

Today, Police and Army forces, as well as armed pro-government militias, are repressing protesters and torturing those who get caught (most of them young students). But in Venezuela anyone can die of a gunshot while being robbed, as crime is rampant and there are hundreds of violent deaths every week. This has been going on for 15 years, and virtually no one is safe.

Just last week, a small deli two blocks from my home was robbed by two armed men, who killed the owner, wounded the owner's son, and the best part: disarmed a police officer who happened to be there and took his motorcycle, fleeing on it.

Other issues include a ruined economy; increasingly high inflation; food, medicine, electricity and water shortages; collapsed hospitals; media censorship and other civil rights violations.

A few articles that can help explain the situation:

Article about shortages, inflation, etc Article about violent events in recent demonstrations CNN video story The Huffington Post has a lot of great articles about Venezuela

Once again, thank you guys for your words of support and for helping spread the word. I've always kept myself to the sidelines but now the situation is so dire, that every Venezuelan citizen with half a brain is protesting and raising awareness, whether on the streets or on the web.

THANK YOU! :)

Pez Banana

Update: This is a recap of what's been happening tonight (February 19) in Venezuela:

http://caracaschronicles.com/2014/02/19/19f/

"Tonight, Venezuela is seeing a spasm of violence that’s unlike anything the country has experienced since 1989. Information is fragmented, since an almost complete media black-out is in place, but you don’t need the media to hear your neighbor’s screams.

... But of course, this is no war zone: in a war zone you have two sides shooting at each other. Tonight one side is doing all the shooting, the other side is doing all the being shot at."

Also CNN has posted some very good pictures from the last few days:

Photos: Protests erupt in Venezuela

gasponce
1 design submitted - Score now!

this is terrible. stay safe. This, Ukraine, Thailand, Brazil a little time ago, it's so sad things having to come to this, for basic human needs. Power to the people! But basically staying safe to fight another day too.

The Paper Crane
1 design submitted - Score now!

Is it me or is unrest on the rise across the globe? It feels like the world is changing, waking up, but we must find a way to do it peacefully.

soloyo-collabs

:-( When will Latin America finally free itself?

gasponce
1 design submitted - Score now!
The Paper Crane said:

Is it me or is unrest on the rise across the globe? It feels like the world is changing, waking up, but we must find a way to do it peacefully.

There is so much oppression still in the world. :?

gasponce
1 design submitted - Score now!

we must keep our eyes wide open otherwise we will become: "Idiot as a word derived from the Greek ???????, idi?t?s("person lacking professional skill", "a private citizen", "individual"), from ?????, idios ("private", "one's own").1 In Latin the word idiota ("ordinary person, layman") preceded the Late Latin meaning "uneducated or ignorant person".[2] Its modern meaning and form dates back to Middle English around the year 1300, from the Old French idiote ("uneducated or ignorant person"). The related word idiocy dates to 1487 and may have been analogously modeled on the words prophet[3] and prophecy.[4][5] The word has cognates in many other languages. wiki source

meaning that people that are willingly unaware of what's happening around them, inevitably lack intellectually!

gasponce
1 design submitted - Score now!
gasponce said:

we must keep our eyes wide open otherwise we will become: "Idiot as a word derived from the Greek ???????, idi?t?s("person lacking professional skill", "a private citizen", "individual"), from ?????, idios ("private", "one's own").1 In Latin the word idiota ("ordinary person, layman") preceded the Late Latin meaning "uneducated or ignorant person".[2] Its modern meaning and form dates back to Middle English around the year 1300, from the Old French idiote ("uneducated or ignorant person"). The related word idiocy dates to 1487 and may have been analogously modeled on the words prophet[3] and prophecy.[4][5] The word has cognates in many other languages. wiki source

meaning that people that are willingly unaware of what's happening around them, inevitably lack intellectually!

threadless can't read Greek! that's the???? in the post!:/

Musarter
1 design submitted - Score now!

I am sorry to hear about the escalation. It sounds truly terrible there right. It is disgusting that the National Guard would be firing on residential complexes unprovoked. More people need to know more about this.

MadCobra
1 design submitted - Score now!

i just read that Cuba is supporting dictatorship over Venezuela they are sending Cuban elite troops to suppress the people and assist the government part of my family live there we are sad here in Dominican Republic :(

Ragnampiza

Didn't heard about this before, it's quite crazy from what you're saying. Need to read more about this, i'll check the articles you posted. Beware and stay safe, Jose.

Musarter
1 design submitted - Score now!

This craziness has been bothering me a lot. I don't know if we can do anything about it individually but it made me think about a website that starts petitions related to issues that are not always covered by the media. I started a petition to get the United Nations to step in and negotiate talks between the Opposition and Ruling Parties. Right now the only signature is my own. If everyone here would email, Facebook, or Tweet the petition maybe we can get some awareness out and do something about it. The link is here. I don't know if this will even help but maybe it will atleast get the word out.

[+duracell-]

they killed Miss Venezuela? did I read that right?

Musarter
1 design submitted - Score now!

I am not sure if was Miss Venezuela, per se, but a beauty queen of some sort. She is the second one killed recently by violence.

gasponce
1 design submitted - Score now!

And it's pretty bad in Ukraine too :[ Signed your petition and will share too!

Pez Banana

Thanks for all the support, guys!

Musarter is right, two beauty queens have been killed recently: Genesis Carmona was killed yesterday or the day before that during the protests (she is the girl being carried away on a bike in picture #3), and former Miss Venezuela Monica Spear was murdered by a band of thugs along with her husband.

Monica Spear's murder happened about a month ago, when the family was returning home from a weekend trip and their car broke down in the highway and a band of thugs approached them, shooting the couple dead and injuring their daughter who was in the back seat.

Monica's murder played a pivotal role in motivating (in part) the current uprising. Every life is sacred but in Venezuela people are murdered by the hundreds every week. The murder of a celebrity was a sort of wake up call and protests escalated quickly from there.

More pictures of the current events have surfaced: 29 Images From The Protests In Venezuela

Slowly the world is becoming aware of what's happening here and that has to help in some way. CNN and other international media have increased their covering of the events. I think there are already two petitions started in the White House website, but i need to check.

Thank you Musarter for the petition you started. I will sign and share with everyone.

Seeing the rise and fall of other dictatorships around the world, we've noticed that the events in Venezuela are happening almost exactly the same as in these other regimes, and that gives us hope. It's textbook Regime VS The People... If these regimes fell thanks to the power of the people fighting for their freedom, then we should expect the same outcome, right?

:)

Pez Banana
MadCobra said:

i just read that Cuba is supporting dictatorship over Venezuela they are sending Cuban elite troops to suppress the people and assist the government part of my family live there we are sad here in Dominican Republic :(

True. Nicolas Maduro might be the current president (personally appointed by Chavez before his death), but who really rule in Venezuela are the Castro brothers, and Cuban agents have infiltrated every level of the government and help make sure that things go according to the Castro's plan.

Venezuela has been sending oil and money to Cuba, in exchange for personnel for Chavez's socialist "missions": doctors, soldiers, etc. There are plenty of good Venezuelan doctors, no need to import Cuban ones, but our government needs to justify all the money they send to Cuba.

Most of the money earned from oil exportation has been squandered, stolen by corrupt ministers and governors, etc, and just given away to other countries that support the "Chavista" regime: Cuba, Bolivia, Argentina, Iran, China.

Our government has pretty much sold the country to Castro, all the while keeping for themselves billions of dollars worth in commissions. Most of our high ranking government agents are billionaires and they keep on stealing...

Now Cuba sends special troops. This begs the questions: is the Venezuelan government afraid that their own troops won't be able to contain the people when the protests escalate even more? Or is Cuba stepping in to squash the protests before they escalate?

I don't think the Venezuelan people will back off. If anything they'll become stronger, bolder, more empowered. Most of them have had enough and firmly believe it is now or never.

Let's see what happens... i'll keep you posted. Thank you all for caring :)

gasponce
1 design submitted - Score now!
Pez Banana said:
MadCobra said:

i just read that Cuba is supporting dictatorship over Venezuela they are sending Cuban elite troops to suppress the people and assist the government part of my family live there we are sad here in Dominican Republic :(

True. Nicolas Maduro might be the current president (personally appointed by Chavez before his death), but who really rule in Venezuela are the Castro brothers, and Cuban agents have infiltrated every level of the government and help make sure that things go according to the Castro's plan.

Venezuela has been sending oil and money to Cuba, in exchange for personnel for Chavez's socialist "missions": doctors, soldiers, etc. There are plenty of good Venezuelan doctors, no need to import Cuban ones, but our government needs to justify all the money they send to Cuba.

Most of the money earned from oil exportation has been squandered, stolen by corrupt ministers and governors, etc, and just given away to other countries that support the "Chavista" regime: Cuba, Bolivia, Argentina, Iran, China.

Our government has pretty much sold the country to Castro, all the while keeping for themselves billions of dollars worth in commissions. Most of our high ranking government agents are billionaires and they keep on stealing...

Now Cuba sends special troops. This begs the questions: is the Venezuelan government afraid that their own troops won't be able to contain the people when the protests escalate even more? Or is Cuba stepping in to squash the protests before they escalate?

I don't think the Venezuelan people will back off. If anything they'll become stronger, bolder, more empowered. Most of them have had enough and firmly believe it is now or never.

Let's see what happens... i'll keep you posted. Thank you all for caring :)

This is so important! Bringing the truth forward! Corruption money and capitalist agendas are killing the people everywhere there is conflict. It's so important to speak up about it. I'm in Greece and this is the future i see for my country unfortunately.
It just sucks! And it makes me so angry!

Sach_80
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Is terrible what is happening here in Venezuela, the state (Táchira) you live in has been stronger repression by the government, but we are struggling to be free.

Pez Banana
Sach_80 said:

Is terrible what is happening here in Venezuela, the state (Táchira) you live in has been stronger repression by the government, but we are struggling to be free.

I live in Maracaibo, Zulia, which has been (so far) the calmest state regarding current events, though we've had our share of unfairly arrested students. Where do you live, Sach_80?

Sadly, today we got confirmation of the 8th victim of the National Guard's senseless, violent repression: student Geraldine Moreno was shot in the face by a NG officer while she was quietly watching the events from the front of her home (she wasn't even protesting).

Repression seems to be getting harsher, but the Venezuelan people won't relent. Sure there will always be those who throw stones and burn tires, but most people protest peacefully, every day. This is a picture of today's march in Caracas (there were marches in every major city in the country).

"Today" meaning saturday February 22nd. Thousands of people took to the streets to demand peace, justice, freedom, and the resignation of an illegitimate president who will not renounce power even when it has cost the nation's ruin and hundreds of lives.

No account?