Close
One second...

My god the standard is high at the moment!

Was looking through the designs being scored at the moment and the standard of work is so high, getting printed is just getting harder all the time...

Watch this
jamesf
jamesf profile pic Alumni

The amount of sherlocks in profile is even higher!

Farnell
Farnell profile pic Alumni

yeah not arsed about the sherlock subs though - who would wear a sherlock shirt? hahaha

jamesf
jamesf profile pic Alumni

nerds?

There are maybe one or two adequate sherlock subs. ahem

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I think Threadless needs to double their weekly print output to prevent so many great designs from being forgotten about. Just left to collect dust in the endless internet archives (or get printed elsewhere by lesser tee companies).

taz-pie
Farnell said:

yeah not arsed about the sherlock subs though - who would wear a sherlock shirt? hahaha

this. like who would wear a dr who shirt? (and don't get me started on the fucking lion king!)

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

I continue to make time for scoring designs and I am impressed with the quantity of designs that are subbed each week. The Paper Crane may have a point...

The Paper Crane said:

I think Threadless needs to double their weekly print output to prevent so many great designs from being forgotten about. Just left to collect dust in the endless internet archives (or get printed elsewhere by lesser tee companies).

RonanL
RonanL profile pic Alumni

I've never understood the Dr. Who shirt craze. Shirt.woot is drowning in them, as are most other sites. Though think Threadless does a pretty good job of printing shirts that are 'wearable'.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

Submit some shit designs to level things out

tatilus

in my case,the high standard comes naturally

c-royal
c-royal profile pic Alumni

Ahah, I like the questionning about Sherlock or Doctor Who shirts (and Lion King...), for the Sherlock Holmes contest I tried to come with a design that wasn't focusing on the characters (but on a badass wolf), that didn't went well anyway. Never seen Doctor Who which is not that popular in France, same with sesame street or even Nickelodeon stuff, so participating in contests involving those is a no-go.

Farnell

great that people are subbing such good designs... the problem I have is some people spend so long on a design that really should be on a wall NOT a shirt. A t-shirt needs a t-shirt design not a masterpiece.

DRO72
DRO72 profile pic Alumni
Farnell said:

great that people are subbing such good designs... the problem I have is some people spend so long on a design that really should be on a wall NOT a shirt. A t-shirt needs a t-shirt design not a masterpiece.

or it can be a t-shirt design and a masterpiece. like this:

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
Farnell said:

Who says it can't be both?

Farnell

I just think some stuff is more suited to wall art than a t-shirt. @DRO2 - The French Dog shirt has been printed by the way for the Threadless wholesale range for Takashimaya in Japan. Received my sample today from Jeff coincidentally.

The Paper Crane

Congrats!^

I am not sure there should be a difference between wall art and t art. I imagine making money from 1 offs or prints (as an artist) is not that easy. You need to be doing something pretty special and be in the right place at the right time to get the recognition. Where as t-shirts design is much more accessible for most of us.

tatilus

i think everything is tough...so please make it tougher for meeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Farnell

I think t-shirt design can be different to wall art - there is stuff I would wear but I certainly wouldn't have it on my wall and tons of stuff i would put on my wall but would never be seen dead in....

The Paper Crane
Farnell said:

I think t-shirt design can be different to wall art - there is stuff I would wear but I certainly wouldn't have it on my wall and tons of stuff i would put on my wall but would never be seen dead in....

I know what you mean and I feel the same about wear or hang but it all comes down to personal taste really.

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Personally I think t-shirts that are have a simple graphic and/or a bold colour scheme work better than complex designs because unlike art you don't really want to stare at someones chest for prolonged periods of time (unless it's an attractive female ;) )

RonanL

I like this discussion on what's considered 'too much' in terms of design complexity. In terms of graphic shirts that I wear and what I've seen other people wearing - it's always more simple and bold designs than crazy over-the-top illustrations.

Look at some of the Threadless classics - Bird of a Feather, Funkelicious, etc... They're all crazy simple, and people love them. They are HUGE sellers, and I think they're wearability is major factor in that. The designs look good on so many products and on so many people that it's easy for so many people to like them. It's something that I've personally been trying to get back into - simpler shirts. They have a certain charm to them that, in my opinion, over done designs don't have.

But like The Paper Crane said, it comes down to personal taste.

EnoLa72
The Paper Crane said:

agreed. I think the percentage is around .9% of the submissions actually get printed. That is extremely low.

RonanL

Doubling the weekly print output means a lot of extra money paid out by Threadless.

Is Threadless still big enough to support paying also those extra artists? If so, that'd be awesome!

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
The Paper Crane said:
Farnell said:

I know what you mean and I feel the same about wear or hang but it all comes down to personal taste really.

Yup! all about personal taste and variety is the spice of life. What makes Threadless so great is the wide variety of designs printed.

aqsmorningview

i remember at design by humans before they changed their site they were like threadless but instead of weekly challanges they did monthly

No account?
Join Us