Close
One second...

How's my Driving?

Hey, sup! So I have been working on my Living in Paradise design and I started from scratch and completely re-drew it in GIMP. And also once again it got declined. I thought it looked alot better and I also added a normal t-shirt template this time. The only think that I can think about it is that it might be a little plain, but I couldn't think of anything else to add to it. I thought it looked good the way it is, especially on a t-shirt.
Does anybody know of anything that I did wrong. I would really appreciate some suggestions, thanks! : )

Watch this
_EffinSweet_
_EffinSweet_ profile pic Alumni

I think its a little too basic for threadless. There isnt too much detail and just in general it isnt up to par. You need to try working on the details, shapes and textures.

jojojob75

Alright, thought so, just wasn't sure, thanks! : )

taz-pie

oh boy.

GAZPACHO

Oh taz ;)

taz-pie said:

oh boy.

SamDraws
SamDraws profile pic Alumni

It's not about the detail or refinement (although that is important - it just comes afterwards.), you gotta nail a concept first. If there isn't something coherent being put across it's hard for people to try and connect with it.

jojojob75
Spamik said:

It's not about the detail or refinement (although that is important - it just comes afterwards.), you gotta nail a concept first. If there isn't something coherent being put across it's hard for people to try and connect with it.

Ok, great advice! Thanks! : )

Zodieak

I think after you refine it more, you could use it as a backdrop for some kind of pun or quirky scenario

jojojob75
Zodieak said:

I think after you refine it more, you could use it as a backdrop for some kind of pun or quirky scenario

That's a good idea, i'll think about it, thanks! : )

Davelong88

try losing the clouds and perhaps re-draw the tree in pencil and scan it in? I like the sand-sea-sky ratio, it has a retro game vibe. what it would need is a strong composition, or a subject...who is living in paradise? what sort of paradise is it? is there a downside or some sort of humour to the paradise? hope this helps.

Jaded_Jesscorr

maybe try adding a darker blue and yellow to the sand and water then blend it together, that might give it a better texture. Anyway after you refine it try also putting it on an iphone case or something, i think it could work well on that :)

jojojob75
Davelong88 said:

try losing the clouds and perhaps re-draw the tree in pencil and scan it in? I like the sand-sea-sky ratio, it has a retro game vibe. what it would need is a strong composition, or a subject...who is living in paradise? what sort of paradise is it? is there a downside or some sort of humour to the paradise? hope this helps.

Those are good ideas, the clouds were kind of bothering me too, thank you! : )

jojojob75
Jaded_Jesscorr said:

maybe try adding a darker blue and yellow to the sand and water then blend it together, that might give it a better texture. Anyway after you refine it try also putting it on an iphone case or something, i think it could work well on that :)

Thanks, maybe i'll try that! : )

dice123

What if you made the shirt color the same blue as the sky? That way it would not be just a square picture on a shirt but a part of the shirt. Another idea could be to use actual high quality images for the sand and ocean. Try Google Advanced Search to filter images by those which can be used for commercial purposes. Most of all I think the previous people have summed it up nicely. It needs a subject. It could be a person sitting in a chair, or it could have a slogan written in the sand/sky saying wish you were here. Without that it's just a nice backdrop.

jojojob75
dice123 said:

What if you made the shirt color the same blue as the sky? That way it would not be just a square picture on a shirt but a part of the shirt. Another idea could be to use actual high quality images for the sand and ocean. Try Google Advanced Search to filter images by those which can be used for commercial purposes. Most of all I think the previous people have summed it up nicely. It needs a subject. It could be a person sitting in a chair, or it could have a slogan written in the sand/sky saying wish you were here. Without that it's just a nice backdrop.

Ya, I don't know. I think I kind of like it square.

Ok, i'll try that!

Thanks for the advice! : )

AlecErhart

What if you drew a palm tree with coconuts with a shadow, that looked more like a palm tree with coconuts and a shadow>

jojojob75
FarmerCarl said:

What if you drew a palm tree with coconuts with a shadow, that looked more like a palm tree with coconuts and a shadow>

Why do you say that? What's wrong with it? Is it too dark, or too light?

thompson98

it looks like not many people are giving you the full truth so i will say it. (i dont mean to hurt your feelings when i say this) -The design looks like a five year old made it in MS Paint. -The colours are too bright and are not appealing -there is no concept. if there is no concept it has to be amazing -The harsh border around the design on the tshirt looks terrible. it does not belong -It is way too rough and pixel-ly

Here is what i suggest - Buy GIMP, a free version of Photoshop. or you could go with Inkscape, a free version of Illustrator that is a vector program (it will give smoother lines and can be sized and not lose its quality) and practice, practice, practice. work on different skills. i have just bought a graphic tablet and have not made a design yet because i have been practicing strokes and line width and the style i will have. - for the problem of colour choice, there is a great website called www.colourlovers.com. it is free and will give you colour inspiration. also, look around the shop here to see what colours they use. i would also suggest looking at Alex Solis' designs. he finds the best colours without them being harsh to look at. - When you make a design, there should not be a border like this one. it looks like it does not belong. what i would do is find a nice colour of a shirt and make that the background colour. this way it blends onto the shirt. look at the designs in the shop and how people do this. just remember to practice heaps and you will discover that you will improve. i would scrap this design and just focus on skills. hope this helps

jojojob75
thompson98 said:

it looks like not many people are giving you the full truth so i will say it. (i dont mean to hurt your feelings when i say this) -The design looks like a five year old made it in MS Paint. -The colours are too bright and are not appealing -there is no concept. if there is no concept it has to be amazing -The harsh border around the design on the tshirt looks terrible. it does not belong -It is way too rough and pixel-ly

Here is what i suggest - Buy GIMP, a free version of Photoshop. or you could go with Inkscape, a free version of Illustrator that is a vector program (it will give smoother lines and can be sized and not lose its quality) and practice, practice, practice. work on different skills. i have just bought a graphic tablet and have not made a design yet because i have been practicing strokes and line width and the style i will have. - for the problem of colour choice, there is a great website called www.colourlovers.com. it is free and will give you colour inspiration. also, look around the shop here to see what colours they use. i would also suggest looking at Alex Solis' designs. he finds the best colours without them being harsh to look at. - When you make a design, there should not be a border like this one. it looks like it does not belong. what i would do is find a nice colour of a shirt and make that the background colour. this way it blends onto the shirt. look at the designs in the shop and how people do this. just remember to practice heaps and you will discover that you will improve. i would scrap this design and just focus on skills. hope this helps

Actually this was made in GIMP..... I'll try inkscape!

That's what i'm doing is focusing on my artwork and trying to find some expert help. I thought this drawing was good enough, but it looks like I still need to practice more.

I do agree maybe the shirt was a little too bright and I could have maybe used a better shirt template.

Also, I just have one question, what is wrong with the conception? The shirt is called "Living in Paradise" and it is a palm tree standing in front of a clear, deep blue, beach on a warm sunny day. How is that a bad concept? I thought it made sense. What am I missing?

Back to more practicing, thanks for the honest advice, I really appreciate it! : )

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

concept is the word we use to mean whatever it is that pulls the intended audience in an compels them to want to buy the tee. This can mean something funny, emational, inspiring, scary, or even abstract... Whatever it is, it has to hook people in and make some kind of meaningful connection.

In the simplest terms, your doodle depects a sunny beach view, but this isn't what people want on a tee (unless the art is SO amazing people don't really care how mundane the scene is). The job of a designer is to figure out what people do want and give it to them, or surprise them with something unexpected.

jojojob75
melmike said:

concept is the word we use to mean whatever it is that pulls the intended audience in an compels them to want to buy the tee. This can mean something funny, emational, inspiring, scary, or even abstract... Whatever it is, it has to hook people in and make some kind of meaningful connection.

In the simplest terms, your doodle depects a sunny beach view, but this isn't what people want on a tee (unless the art is SO amazing people don't really care how mundane the scene is). The job of a designer is to figure out what people do want and give it to them, or surprise them with something unexpected.

Oh, ok, I get it, thanks! : )

No account?
Join Us