Upgrade! Introducing the New & Improved Design Submission Page

• by skaw
  • posted Jan 27, 2014
  • 39 Comments

Watch this
FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Yes! These are a bajillion times better. Well done ladies and gentlemen.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

Nice one! Takes a while to get used to the lack of sliding but I am sure I will quickly get over it.

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

Great moves!

FoodStampDavis
1 design submitted -

I think I'm glad to see the slider go above all else. I understand the idea behind it, but for me it always discouraged commenting (since it immediately moved on after scoring) more than it encouraged more scoring.

The Paper Crane
foodstampdavis said:

I think I'm glad to see the slider go above all else. I understand the idea behind it, but for me it always discouraged commenting (since it immediately moved on after scoring) more than it encouraged more scoring.

Agreed. I just felt a little disoriented initially... and having to make choices! but yes that is cool that you can score and then comment without pressing the back button.

rskinner1122
rskinner1122 profile pic Alumni

This is nice! I'm still waiting for dashboard :)

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

yes awesome!!!!

jambie
foodstampdavis said:

...it always discouraged commenting (since it immediately moved on after scoring) more than it encouraged more scoring.

Great point! We hope these new pages will continue to enhance communication with the community while making scoring breezy

FoodStampDavis
1 design submitted -

I think the 6 designs popping up after scoring actually encourages scoring more than the slider anyway here i see 6 at once and immediately go to the one I like best. Sure, it may mean I never score those other 5 at all, but it'll make the number of scores something gets more meaningful. Instead of me just getting into my usual "2 hole" where I look at something for half a second and click "2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 5, 2, 2, 1, 1 , 1, 2 ,2 ,2 ,2 ." Having spent just a little time with new system I can already tell it makes me much more thoughtful about my scores.

In short: I'm a fan of this. ha.

The Paper Crane

I presume the 6 designs are completely random? Much better then always being taken to the most recently posted as before.

JaymeArt

nice!! --great job on the improvements

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

looks & feels amazing!

gebe
gebe profile pic Alumni

super!!!

Milan_

This is great!

Manupix

Awesome!

Some feedback:

1- keyword tags are cool but don't seem to work yet, as witnessed by clicking them on Rick's latest sub;

2- embed is cool but using the whole 1200x1200 image in the url is unfriendly! Why not use the smaller thumbnail from designer's profiles?

3- as said in the other blog, please fix old designs order in designer's profiles (newest first!).

Manupix

Also I may be missing something, but I don't see the designs any bigger as some comments seem to imply. I wouldn't want to actually since they're already larger than my monitor and I have to scroll down which is annoying. What could be super cool would be to have the designs zoomed down to monitor size (is that what 'responsive' means? I have no clue) with an easy, one click option to zoom up to 100% (what I presently do is right-click, display, zoom, go back which is sloooow).

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Let us know if there's anything buggy or if you have any suggestions!

The Paper Crane
Manupix said:

...What could be super cool would be to have the designs zoomed down to monitor size (is that what 'responsive' means? I have no clue)....

Yes responsive - should automatically resize to fit your browser window.

Manupix
The Paper Crane said:
Manupix said:

...What could be super cool would be to have the designs zoomed down to monitor size (is that what 'responsive' means? I have no clue)....

Yes responsive - should automatically resize to fit your browser window.

It doesn't, even when enabling all scripts :(

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

Digging the little animated skinny stats graph on some designs

Manupix

Another couple of things about old designs I just noticed:

• they're zoomed up from the smaller original sizes, so appear blurred;

• the multi-slide designs from the intermediate old-new site only show one slide.

;_;

Milan_
Manupix said:

Awesome!

Some feedback:

3- as said in the other blog, please fix old designs order in designer's profiles (newest first!).

Just noticed :(

Fungusamungus

Oh wow I really like the overlay with design suggestions! Looks fantastic. One thing I would say though is make the follow button more prominent, it's kind of out of the way after the changes.

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

Goldendust

Holy damn this is cool

Queeg500

Totally agree about the size of the design fitting the monitor. I personally think they're displayed far too big & it's a little unnecessary. Having to view a design in two halves by scrolling really isn't ideal.

I mean, you'd never walk up to a piece at a gallery and stand so close you couldn't see it all at once - you'd stand back and appreciate it as a whole.

Even the more horizontal oriented designs (which can fit in the top half & naturally lend themselves better) just seem too big to appreciate in a kind of context - I'm having to sit back from my screen to 'see' it before I score.

The Paper Crane
quick-brown-fox said:

Digging the little animated skinny stats graph on some designs

Yay! Skinny graph is back :D

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Oh dang, I need to get to subbing and voting so I can try some of this stuff out.

bcarlson41
bcarlson41 profile pic Staff

Well said! That is how we feel too.

foodstampdavis said:

I think the 6 designs popping up after scoring actually encourages scoring more than the slider anyway here i see 6 at once and immediately go to the one I like best. Sure, it may mean I never score those other 5 at all, but it'll make the number of scores something gets more meaningful. Instead of me just getting into my usual "2 hole" where I look at something for half a second and click "2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 5, 2, 2, 1, 1 , 1, 2 ,2 ,2 ,2 ." Having spent just a little time with new system I can already tell it makes me much more thoughtful about my scores.

In short: I'm a fan of this. ha.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Having fun going back over my old subs to see which ones were downvoted. Oh, the indignation!!! And it's oddly therapeutic to be able to see that some of them weren't down voted, they were just shit… now I can finally get some closure… haha.

Great update guys!

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Oh dang, stats! That's awesome!... and depressing, ha

Christina.A.art

Is there anyway to make it so when you post or comment on a design or thread that it doesn't jump to the top of the page? Also.. are you going to bring back enter to win this design if it gets printed?

brainrust
brainrust profile pic Alumni

Going with square proportions for the images is great, a good compromise between horizontal screens and vertical shirt designs. The six thumbnails instead of the slider for scoring other designs is good, and I see you've already switched the order of designs in people's profiles from oldest first to newest first. It's all good! Excellent changes!

nicebleed
nicebleed profile pic Alumni

cool

Crazypoet

I miss the arrows because now I can't score designs in one category, it just gives me random designs. The only way to score designs from one category is to click on the name of the challenge, but then the pictures are way too small to see. And I miss the "enter to win this design" button. I really don't like this new way of scoring.

Christina.A.art

^I agree i always score all the designs now it just takes longer. I feel like people will be scoring them more in a smaller window instead of clicking & seeing details they will miss with a full screen.

No account?
Join Us