Close
One second...

Cintiq Vs Intuous

I've been thinking of upgrading to some a new futuristic cintiq tablet. I've had my intuous for a few years now. I was wondering how many of yous lot use the cintiq and how has it helped/ changed the way your illustrate?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Chris, do you create all your subs using a tablet? I don't use tablets. Do you think I should? What are the pros and cons vs good old pen and ink?

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni

I'm in the same spot as Wharton. Lookin' forward to the response. It's the cost of the new futuristic technology that's holding me back.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I don't think I'm using my tablet to its full extent. I use it for most things, but invariably I end up using the pen tool and not the brush tool, which is probably what its best for. When I do try to draw naturally it feels quite counter-intuitive because you're looking at the screen instead of your hand, or thats my excuse anyway.

Milan_

I'm using cintiq at work, and bamboo at home for personal use. Thing is it speeds up the process significantly, sketching in photoshop is even faster than sketching on paper. Best of it will get people who really do digital painting. Pressure sensitivity and precision is superb! Since it's way to pricy for my personal budget, i think i'll seek some alternative. Such as yiynova, bosto or monoprice.

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni

I currently use a monoprice tablet, it does the job and it only cost me £35 on Amazon. I will probably upgrade when I get better at design.

_EffinSweet_
_EffinSweet_ profile pic Alumni

That monoprice 19" tablet he reviews looks promising! maybe a cheaper alternative for someone who cant afford the cintiq

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

I don't think I'm using my tablet to its full extent. I use it for most things, but invariably I end up using the pen tool and not the brush tool, which is probably what its best for. When I do try to draw naturally it feels quite counter-intuitive because you're looking at the screen instead of your hand, or thats my excuse anyway.

Do you look at your hand when you use your mouse? Same thing really!

IDK, I've never used a Cintiq. I've gotten used to the disembodied style of drawing with an Intuos so I don't feel the need to splurge all that money right now. Meanwhile, have you tried giving Lazy Nezumi a whirl? Trial is free and it can open up some possibilities when you play around with the settings a bit.

Wharton

I don't need to look at my hand if I'm using the pen tool because the nature of the tool is to plot on the screen and there are no fluid gestures, its quite a clinical way of drawing. I've been playing with a more loose and free style of drawing and maybe its because I'm unpracticed or maybe it is not looking directly at what is being drawn, but its not going very well.

I was hoping someone who has migrated from intuous to cintiq could confirm or deny this.

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

Been using an intuos too so can't be of much help, I've been considering Cintiq as well. The only frustration with the intuos for me is using both vertical (screen) and horizontal (tablet) to draw rather than just horizontal, eyes down feels more natural. Pen is not an issue. I thing Tiff uses a cintiq so she can likely give you a good feedback on the matter.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I had a Bamboo tablet for personal use, but used an Intuos at the job I was at before I started to work from home. Having a Cintiq is a pretty different in terms of time and workflow for me. And it feels more natural, so drawing on paper doesn't feel completely alien to me like it used to.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

For me, switching to a display tablet has been a game-changer. I could never get used to drawing on a non-display tablet. My old workflow was to scan revision after revision and then color in Photoshop using a non-display tablet. The time it takes me to complete an illustration has been cut by more than half.

I've used the Yiynova MSP19U, which worked acceptably, but didn't suit my technical drawing style. Cintiq competitors, such as the Yiynova and Monoprice display tablets, aren't good for making deliberate, precise marks because there's noticeable line jitter at slower drawing speeds. They work fine for loose, fluid strokes.

I'd try to get some hands-on time with a display tablet to see if it works for you. I definitely appreciate the benefits of a display tablet.

Morkki

Honestly I'd love a display tablet but every time I look at what a Cintiq costs I just nope the hell outta there. Do you think something like the Lazy Nezumi I linked above could help with the slow speed jitter?

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

I have a cintiq and its sped up the way I work, sadly I also have a really unorthodox working area so its also a bit of a pain what with all the cables that come along with it. I tend to go bak and forth between using an intuos and a cintiq but for the most part the cintiq allows for more precise lineswork

lxromero
Wharton said:

When I do try to draw naturally it feels quite counter-intuitive because you're looking at the screen instead of your hand, or thats my excuse anyway.

This.

I worked in a computer lab at my school for over a year and whenever someone asked me about using any of the intuos tablets we had for rent and how it worked this is what I had to explain to them. Its also worth noting that eventually that feeling just goes away with enough practice.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I have a Cintiq and I'm very happy with it. Just like you, I feel like it's more natural to use. Used the money from my first print on it and sure, it was expensive, but I have no regrets.

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni

I've been using a bamboo since I started, but just got a Microsoft Surface Pro - basically a fully pressure sensitive tablet you can install windows programs on, so I have PS and Mangastudio on there.

It's not a perfect comparison to a Cintiq as the screen is smaller, I lack a mouse, and it doesn't have the configurable side buttons you get on the cintiq - that said, drawing on it feels a lot smoother. Probably a big part of that is being able to easily rotate the screen so I'm never stuck with an awkward drawing angle. I don't really feel much disconnect between hand and screen with the bamboo, but it just makes things so much easier to control where a line ends up when you're drawing straight onto the screen.

If I was going to get a large screen pen display, I would be pretty sold on the monoprice 19", it's pretty unbeatable value for what looks to be a solid device.

lxromero

If you want to save yourself some cash, apparently monoprice makes very good cintiq equivalents for a fraction of the price. Frenden writes reviews on the units and you can look through those here and compare. It might be a good cheaper alternative to a cintiq.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

most of my work is drawn digitally, though more out of convenience. drawing on paper is a much more natural experience for me. I've only worked on a display tablet for a super short time while I was at school and I think over time I'd prefer it over a regular tablet. it does take getting used to, but the acclimation time is a lot shorter. and the ability to draw at what visibly looks like 100% all the time feels a lot more natural to me. I can make decisions that make much more sense in my head, since with a non-display you train yourself to expect what kind of result you'll get and end up undoing a whole lot. my hand learns a lot through discovery, and while whatever kind of drawing has their own forms of discovery, results I get through non-display feel more like emulating some idea of perfection than accepting/changing things as I go. these are all kinda backburner thoughts that might not measure up to anything when you get comfortable enough with your workflow, but it's still a thing to think about.

that said, I've gotten comfortable enough with my intuos to not spend $300-$2000 on a display tablet.

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

does like the cintiq or monoprice just plug right into your computer and can run all your programs like Photoshop?

mike bautista

pretty much. there are drivers that you need to install first, but it takes like 2 minutes. that's how it is with the intuos models at least.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

There's also the fact that you can see the entirety of the image as you draw on the intuos, as oppose to having your hand and arm covering part of it. A trifling matter, but something nonetheless. I'm with Morkki, I quite enjoy the disembodied style of drawing, and use my intuos for pretty much everything now, including illustrator. I wouldn't fork out for a cintiq though without getting some time on it beforehand. It would have to feel A LOT more natural to warrant the price.

PeculiarTiffany
chuck p comics said:

does like the cintiq or monoprice just plug right into your computer and can run all your programs like Photoshop?

It's acts as a monitor basically, but one that you can draw on! :-)

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

You could use it as your screen for a brand new Mac Pro. If you spec it all the way up to the best stuff, should only set you back $15k altogether.

Wharton

Ooooo debate and mild anger, this Thread is going well.

I'm finding that I'm just drawing, redrawing, redrawing and then redrawing again on the intuous, I can never quite get the lines that I want and some of the lines I do get I'm like "WTF, where did that come from?", which I've been summing comes from the disconnect between hand and eye.

I hear what you're saying on price, but if I want to become the next 'Ilovepoodles' then maybe the cintiq is a stepping stone.

Tiff, have you seen a big difference in the way you draw?

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

I bought a cheap tablet monitor thing a couple of years ago. One thing I didn't appreciate is the distance between the nib of the stylus and the actual screen due to the glass. This doesn't sound much, and maybe it's down to the one I got, but it does take a little getting used to. It depends on the working angle, but I draw very close to the paper and it did annoy me that the lines I was making weren't directly below the pen like in real life.

Goldendust

This thread is really interesting to me right now.

Currently I have a tiny little graphire4 which is about to die - I've had it since 07. Before that I had a shitty no brand tablet which had the battery in the pen. And I've been dreaming about a cintiq since I found out they existed! I've been drawing with a tablet since... 04? 05? Anyway, quite a long time, so I've gotten used to the disconnect thing well enough.

Lately I've been trying to justify whether it would be worth me getting a Cintiq because I kind of only dabble in illustration (wow I'm an idiot) and I worry I wouldn't use it enough. At the same time I know I'd love it and would hopefully spend more time drawing because of it.

Reading the comments in this blog makes me think about how much time I do spend undoing and redrawing lines. It's quite a lot, my current "style" (if that's what you'd call it) is really line based and I'm a terrible perfectionist so I feel like I could save myself a good deal of hand cramps and dammit I just don't know. I thought I had talked myself into being happy enough without one but now maybe I think I should just suck it up and start saving.

Goldendust

Wow. I just put my iPhone down on top of the drawing area of my current tablet and it is nearly the same size. It needs replacing very very badly. And cleaning. Definitely needs cleaning.

Morkki
Wharton said:

I'm finding that I'm just drawing, redrawing, redrawing and then redrawing again on the intuous, I can never quite get the lines that I want and some of the lines I do get I'm like "WTF, where did that come from?", which I've been summing comes from the disconnect between hand and eye.

I hear what you're saying on price, but if I want to become the next 'Ilovepoodles' then maybe the cintiq is a stepping stone.

I don't detect anger?

Anyway, I thought about this a little more and I think I get now why there might be difficulties in adjusting to a tablet.

Now, the point I was trying to make with my comment about not looking at your mouse when using it is that you really don't need to see your hand to know what it's doing. If your proprioception sense is working correctly you know where your limbs are, it's the same thing that enables you to touch your nose without looking at your finger. When drawing on paper you are not looking at your hand, you are looking at the mark you are making. In a fantasy situation you would draw (probably) just as well if your hand was invisible if you could just see the nib of your pen. Your brain would be confused for other reasons but that's beside the point.

The problem with conventional tablets is the discrepancy between what you feel you are drawing and what you see happening. This is especially bad if you draw with a small tablet and a large monitor. A small movement of your hand is magnified on the screen and the brain gets confused. You can try mapping the drawing area differently so that the physical size of your drawing area matches the vitual drawing area, ie. limiting the stylus movement on the screen to a smaller rectangle. This is of course annoying because you'd be hitting invisible borders all the time. This is why I always recommend a big tablet that isn't too far from your monitor dimensions. It's more accurate and there isn't so much of that discrepancy between physical and virtual movement.

This is a point for a Cintiq: it's always 1:1 what your hand does and what you see happening. I'm using large tablets and about 22" monitors so that when you account for viewing distance the proportions aren't too far off.

Morkki

Also I suggest trying in the Intuos mapping settings the difference between forcing proportions and not. The width:height proportions of the tablet are different than the wide screen 16:9 proportions common in monitors today so using the entire tablet area mapped to the entire screen area causes vertical strokes to act and feel slightly different than horizontal strokes.

But what I'm really saying is: get a Cintiq but also expose yourself to cosmic radiation and hope it'll turn you into Invisible Wharton and not the Thing. About 25% chance either way.

PeculiarTiffany
Wharton said:

The difference has been pretty huge for me. I enjoy making art a lot more with my Cintiq, which has lead to me drawing more, which has then lead to me growing a lot as an artist within the last two years.

And if you can't afford a brand spanking new HD Cintiq, get a Monoprice or an older Cintiq. :-)

Goldendust
TheInfamousBaka said:

The difference has been pretty huge for me. I enjoy making art a lot more with my Cintiq, which has lead to me drawing more, which has then lead to me growing a lot as an artist within the last two years.

And if you can't afford a brand spanking new HD Cintiq, get a Monoprice or an older Cintiq. :-)

You make a very good case, Tiffany. I know I've loved seeing more of your art lately and seeing you try new things. I want to be doing that! Haha.

P.S. Wharton, I'm sorry for barging into your blog but if you hadn't posted this I swear I would have.

Wharton

Don't be a hoon Kim, of course you can join in. I am reading all the comments but I'm really busy today so can't find much time to reply, which you are doing admirably.

I was hoping you'd say that Tiff, it was what I was imagining the gains might be. Having said that I might try Morkki's Radiation exposure, which ever is cheapest.

MasterThesis

Hello there,

I am doing some research about customer participation for my Master thesis. Would you be so kind as to fill in this Survey about your work on Threadless? It only takes 5 minutes and you would do me a massive favour!!!

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2hNBmjPUMS7NzuJ

Many thanks and good luck with your design,

Anna

JIMDAHOUSECAT
JIMDAHOUSECAT profile pic Alumni
MasterThesis said:

Hello there,

I am doing some research about customer participation for my Master thesis. Would you be so kind as to fill in this Survey about your work on Threadless? It only takes 5 minutes and you would do me a massive favour!!!

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2hNBmjPUMS7NzuJ

Many thanks and good luck with your design,

Anna

nope.

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni
heykimby said:

Wow. I just put my iPhone down on top of the drawing area of my current tablet and it is nearly the same size. It needs replacing very very badly. And cleaning. Definitely needs cleaning.

I ditched that thing like a year ago, when the pen broke and it was cheaper getting the bamboo then replacing the pen

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

I only dream of cintiq, because money.

I think Morkki said some really good points, that help a lot when set up right.

also while I'm still getting used to drawing lines digitally 3 things got me really going. Large intuos, small one just isn't the same, good monitor with the mapping set up right with the intuos, 2 programs to draw in - now this last one was the least money and actually made the most difference. I got manga studio and started drawing bigger out lines with that and exporting it to photo shop to detail and it works great so far.

I think I would love to have a cintig but I think drawing is drawing and it will take time to get used to any way you do it.

mike bautista
lxromero said:

If you want to save yourself some cash, apparently monoprice makes very good cintiq equivalents for a fraction of the price. Frenden writes reviews on the units and you can look through those here and compare. It might be a good cheaper alternative to a cintiq.

I just wanna second this comment, for anyone who wants a display tablet but are hesitant because of the prices. Ray knows his stuff and his reviews are legit.

I can't reeaallly speak from experience with non-cintiqs, but I do know some folks who use Yiynova and stand by Ray's reviews of it.

all I can say of the cintiq aside from that 1:1 ratio that just feels right to me, is that I believe they use the same digitizers as the intuos, so you'd get the same results with it as if your intuos had a screen. that's either a plus or a minus depending on how you like those models and I'm just mentioning it to help any of y'all with your decisions. the surface is also a bit tactile, so that might feel more natural to some than drawing on glass.

aside from whatever nitpicks you personally have, I'd say the biggest things to look for in a monitor tablet are jittering and drawing angles, since those are the only two that can effect your workflow. with anything else, you'll always have your main monitor to double check things if you need to.

Goldendust

Yeah, I was considering the Monoprice 19 inch because it's SO CHEAP. But the drawing angles issue seems severe enough that it'd bug me forever. Also... the only stockist in Australia is charging $1000AUD for it which is a ridiculous mark up. Although it's "on special" for $750. I'd really want to buy one locally so if I do have issues I can return it within it's warranty period.

The Yiynova MVP22U(V2, the one with IPS) and MSP19U are available here from a company that hopefully is legit, I'd have to do more research though... And the pricing is much more reasonable. But then I'd be spending between $800 and $1000, and that's getting toward the level of used Wacom pricing? Ughhhh. Why isn't this easier?

ChrisDB

I've had a Bamboo tablet a while now but I never really use it. It was just so daunting. Such a small area and I couldn't get used to drawing with the pen and looking at the screen. I realise now that I was being an idiot cuz drawing with the mouse is the same thing! Next sub I'm making I'm gonna use my tablet! I just can't find the stylus at the moment :(

Goldendust
ChrisDB said:

I've had a Bamboo tablet a while now but I never really use it. It was just so daunting. Such a small area and I couldn't get used to drawing with the pen and looking at the screen. I realise now that I was being an idiot cuz drawing with the mouse is the same thing! Next sub I'm making I'm gonna use my tablet! I just can't find the stylus at the moment :(

If you have a solid backed desk, try the gap between the desk and the wall.

ChrisDB
heykimby said:
ChrisDB said:

If you have a solid backed desk, try the gap between the desk and the wall.

That room...it's more complicated than that! Lol!

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni
9 designs submitted - Score now!

i will get a cintiq when i just casually have some spare grands lying around, but until then there is nothing wrong with my intuos. there is a learning curve for sure, it takes time to get used to drawing everything digital, but i am totally used to it now, and would be surprised if a cintiq got me to draw 'better'. all i am expecting is a convenience speed improvement. and even then, there might be problems due to keyboard shorcuts being less accessible.

PeculiarTiffany

This is what I use, which is a Cintiq 15x. It's a good choice for people that are on a budget and I haven't had any issues with it. :-) You can get one on eBay for $200-$400. It's a little clunky and isn't super fancy, but it's a start.

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

if you have enough money buy cintiq, now.. if not, intuos is good :) Difference is HUGE!

Wharton
RicoMambo said:

if you have enough money buy cintiq, now.. if not, intuos is good :) Difference is HUGE!

Bam! That was the opinion reinforcing comment I was looking for. I just don't have the monies right now.

Wharton
BlancaJP said:

Whats the meaning got this!?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us