Bitching about clients...

I ask a client for direction on what what she wants for a logo. A week later (today) I get this:

"I realized I never sent you any direction. I kind of don't want to maybe? I have something vaguely in my brain, but I kind of would like to see what you would just do with it ... If that's ok. And then when I hate your idea, I'll tell you mine :) haha, but no. I just think you know what you're doing and I don't want to infect your creativity with my ramble."

Blurgh. I get this kind of thing all the time. I know their hearts are often in the right place, but I'm not coming at your logo design as some kind of passionate art project. I want to make what you want and make it fast so you can pay me money.

JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT!

Watch this
TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

That means do something, anything, so that they have a starting place and then they'll use that to tell you all of the things they don't want. This reminds me that I hate doing things for other people.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff

"we need this entire sequence storyboarded by tomorrow but we're rewriting several scenes. We will send those to you tonight"

[+duracell-]

draw a brain logo with a piece of glass sticking out of it

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I'm fine with having some autonomy in a project, I mean that's what I'm hired to do. However, I HATE when it's zero direction - especially when I explicitly ask for it.

If I were a chef, for example, and you wanted my "creative spin" on something, you wouldn't just say "Make me a food!"

"Okay, what sort of food do you like? Are you vegetarian? Looking for something hearty or a light snack? Any allergies? What do you hate?"

"Oh, I'd rather not say. I don't want to impede your creativity."

"Look, lady, do you want a cheeseburger or spaghetti or what? I'll make it good, but I gotta start from something, goddammit."

merkinspurlock
merkinspurlock profile pic Alumni

And then when I hate your idea, I'll tell you mine :) haha, but no.

Except, yes. That is exactly what is going to happen because you have set it up that way. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THIS COULD GO.

[+duracell-]

Draw Matthew Lesko as one of your presidents. Then use the company name for the name.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni
TheInfamousBaka said:

That means do something, anything, so that they have a starting place and then they'll use that to tell you all of the things they don't want. This reminds me that I hate doing things for other people.

Yes, yes, yes. Blargh.

FoodStampDavis

I replied "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather know what you have in mind now and I can build off of that. Then I can get some samples together and we can go from there."

I got some direction:

"I feel like you know what kind of environment I'm going for: Downtowny, but upscale, professional. Education/creativity focused."

Fart. Maybe I'm just bad at this.

CHUMP, WHAT COLORS DO YOU LIKE?!

FoodStampDavis
redhandedjillian said:

And then when I hate your idea, I'll tell you mine :) haha, but no.

Except, yes. That is exactly what is going to happen because you have set it up that way. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THIS COULD GO.

Exactly.

[+duracell-]

downtowny is not even a word, lady

merkinspurlock
merkinspurlock profile pic Alumni
[+duracell-] said:

downtowny is not even a word, lady

People come up with the weirdest shit when they're trying to describe what they think they want.

[+duracell-]

Relax, here's some Calculus (trademark)

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Hello,

My name is John Linda Client. My business operates in groceries and/or waste management. I will not tell you what exactly because I feel we have a connection. Like hot cousins. I want you to make me a logo that speaks to the youth of today but in a vaguely Russian accent. Make it lemony but semi-colonial.

[+duracell-]

^lol

• patiently waits for BeanePod rendition *
FoodStampDavis
Morkki said:

Hello,

My name is John Linda Client. My business operates in groceries and/or waste management. I will not tell you what exactly because I feel we have a connection. Like hot cousins. I want you to make me a logo that speaks to the youth of today but in a vaguely Russian accent. Make it lemony but semi-colonial.

hahahaha, Print it. Frame it.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Yes!

BeanePod said:

Nothing like spending hours on a project, creating mock-ups, getting items sampled only to hear "oh...i was thinking this...."

No account?
Join Us