Close
One second...

WIP Ripped? Thoughts appreciated.

Hi guys. As pointed out by Shadyjibes, this concept has been done before by bananaphone. I did my research before doing the design and it never came up on my searches. Although the concepts are the same I feel mine is different enough to give it a go.

I've reached out to bananaphone to see what he thinks but haven't heard back yet.

I'm leaving it up to the court of public opinion as to whether or not this would be considered ripping on his design.

Thanks

Watch this
[+duracell-]

not sure if its been done, but its a great concept

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Nice! Thanks guys. Putting it together now so we'll see how it goes :)

macdoodle

D'oh! I googled this a thousand different ways and it never came up.

macdoodle

I just reached out to bananaphone to see if he approves of this...or crushes my dreams :P

Stand by...

macdoodle

Just curious to hear thoughts on this.

macdoodle

I try to call...why he no answer?

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Personally, I think if you come up with an idea independently you should just go for it. The worst Threadless will do is not print it, which is a possibility anyways. So, why not?

macdoodle

Cool, thanks guys. Baka's point is valid in that it probs wouldn't print anyway so why not give it a shot.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I wasn't saying that this particular design won't print, just that statistically it's a possibility. :-) Do ittttt.

macdoodle
TheInfamousBaka said:

I wasn't saying that this particular design won't print, just that statistically it's a possibility. :-) Do ittttt.

I definitely know what you meant. It's like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play...but you probably won't win but you play anyway ;)

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

You came by the idea on your own, and once you're at the idea there's really only one way to execute it. I'd say that's fair game. Two people independently having the same idea isn't stealing. I should know.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni
BeanePod said:

DAT EXPRESSION ON HIS FACE DOH!

gets me every time :D

This! So spot on.

macdoodle
foodstampdavis said:

You came by the idea on your own, and once you're at the idea there's really only one way to execute it. I'd say that's fair game. Two people independently having the same idea isn't stealing. I should know.

So true! Thanks!!

Thanks for the input you guys. Sending it off and hoping for the best! :D

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:

oh man....this still hoits :(

FoodStampDavis
BeanePod said:
foodstampdavis said:

Meh. It "hoits" in a "me! me! me! I want the glory!" way, but that's just me being whiny and silly.

Fact of the matter is, two people had the same idea and executed it similarly. Both got about the same numbers, but his/hers (I forgot) got picked and mine didn't. The reasons are irrelevant. Whaddya gonna do but say "whaddya gonna do?"

kazualtee

I think they're different enough, his is more based on the game Portal.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

I say sub it, it's different and it looks great!

foodstampdavis on Jan. 8, 2014 at 16:23:15 You came by the idea on your own, and once you're at the idea there's really only one way to execute it. I'd say that's fair game. Two people independently having the same idea isn't stealing. I should know.

I feel your pain but in the end it's all matter of luck , I guess. It keeps happening to me but I guess in my case it is just missing the right execution..:(

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
ArTrOcItY said:

foodstampdavis on Jan. 8, 2014 at 16:23:15 You came by the idea on your own, and once you're at the idea there's really only one way to execute it. I'd say that's fair game. Two people independently having the same idea isn't stealing. I should know.

I feel your pain but in the end it's all matter of luck , I guess. It keeps happening to me but I guess in my case it is just missing the right execution..:(

Oh no, twice! That sucks, no pun intended.

vectored_life
foodstampdavis said:
BeanePod said:
foodstampdavis said:

Meh. It "hoits" in a "me! me! me! I want the glory!" way, but that's just me being whiny and silly.

Fact of the matter is, two people had the same idea and executed it similarly. Both got about the same numbers, but his/hers (I forgot) got picked and mine didn't. The reasons are irrelevant. Whaddya gonna do but say "whaddya gonna do?"

Just a quick chime in: I still like the andrewfoodofstamps version best.

As for your dilemma, I like yours better. Also, sub it. The worst they can do is reject it.

Actually the worst they could do it print out your submission on paper, drive to your house, knock on the door, wait for you to answer, throw it at you when you open the door, and run down the street laughing manically...i doubt that happens though.

Milan_

It doesn't matter, it's one of those concepts that are obvious they are allready made at least once. See Yours is quite different since most of them are based on game portal, and it's executed probably better than all of them. Go for it and good luck!

macdoodle
foodstampdavis said:
BeanePod said:
foodstampdavis said:

I remember when the design on the right printed (mine is on the left from a billion years ago) I was a little bummed. The concept has been done numerous times since mine and the picked design had the right "stuff" to be deemed a print.
EricKaz said:

I think they're different enough, his is more based on the game Portal.

Thanks for clearing that up! I was trying to figure out what he was referencing.

smkvr

?this thread just makes me want to play Portal again

macdoodle
Milan B said:

It doesn't matter, it's one of those concepts that are obvious they are allready made at least once. See Yours is quite different since most of them are based on game portal, and it's executed probably better than all of them. Go for it and good luck!

Dang! My Google skills are definitely lacking. ;) I just subbed it so we'll see what happens.

macdoodle
ArTrOcItY said:

Oh man! I guess you can chalk it up to "great minds think alike" :)

Twiggyhall

I like yours best, too...and not just sayin' that cause we're buddies n' all

macdoodle

D'awwww! Thanks buddy!! :D

FoodStampDavis

What if - to make it a little more different from the others - you tweak it a bit and just have the dog sucking his own dick? And also there's no portals.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:

What if - to make it a little more different from the others - you tweak it a bit and just have the dog sucking his own dick? And also there's no portals.

twist and turn into infinity symbol

laurxy
laurxy profile pic Alumni

Wonderlove
ArTrOcItY said:

Those perpetual hands deigns are just too similar to be thought of independently. I don't know which came first but somebody copied someone or both used the same source material.

macdoodle
foodstampdavis said:

An autobiographical concept...I like the cut of your jib.

bananaphone
bananaphone profile pic Alumni

Well... you sent me an email all of 1 day ago about this and to be honest I don't mind either way. I thought I would say so here, publicly, to save you future grief if it does do well.

I do find it a bit poor however that in the space of a single day, your thought process has gone from seeking my permission to not really giving a crap because other people have done the same idea. Perhaps all of those ideas were independent of mine, perhaps they were all ripped off of mine? The point is that the right thing to do is set by your standards, not the low standards of others. Your original move was a class act but I am not sure about the follow up.

Hope your print does well.

FoodStampDavis
Wonderlove said:
ArTrOcItY said:

Those perpetual hands deigns are just too similar to be thought of independently. I don't know which came first but somebody copied someone or both used the same source material.

M.C. Escher came up with it first. Both are a parody/take on his piece, so it's still reasonable that they would independently come out so similar, I think.

No account?
Join Us