Close
One second...

My First submissions tips and opinions please :)

Hey Can i have some feedback off people and any tips etc, i've only been using illustrator for a couple of weeks and these are my first submissions, so all tips, feedback etc are welcomed :) Thanks

Watch this
sausage_moe

The 2nd and 3rd are okay for first subs i think. Do not like the first one at all. No strong idea and visually dull and uninteresting. Btw: her arms are waaayyy too short

thegoodpope
thegoodpope profile pic Alumni

Your first design needs something more... it's sparse. Maybe some bloody pom-poms or a few half eaten football players? Something to fill in the empty space.

The second one is pretty good! Maybe try shrinking the scale of the pattern so you get more bikes and dots in there.

Third one... also pretty good. I think it just need some shading and more sketchy details to your drawing. Looks a little too clean maybe.

All good first tries though! Keep at it... not may be people get printed on their first subs.

Jamietaylor1985
Jamietaylor1985 profile pic Alumni

Blockquote i did think this about the first one and i take on board what both of you have said i added this to it after i submitted as i though it looked a little empty

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I actually think the first design is the strongest, it has a concept being the exorcist/ exercise word play the others two designs are a bit 'meh'.

As already mentioned her arms are way too short and I think you need to work on your lines. I wouldn't go for a text orientated design unless you want to hand draw it and make everything amazing.

Jamietaylor1985
Jamietaylor1985 profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I actually think the first design is the strongest, it has a concept being the exorcist/ exercise word play the others two designs are a bit 'meh'.

As already mentioned her arms are way too short and I think you need to work on your lines. I wouldn't go for a text orientated design unless you want to hand draw it and make everything amazing.

Thanks :) i did think of maybe adding a bed to the design so maybe she was jumping on the bed from the film, ill play around a bit, as for lines i need some more practice and i need to check out some tutorials, i've literally only started drawing digitally about 2 weeks ago so got some learning to do

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

yeah, first one is the strongest concept. maybe "exorcise" could be written on her shirt instead of 666 in order to drive the concept home a bit more (others commenting about half eaten football players makes me think it's being interpreted as a zombie homage).

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

or do it the way you have it, like a gym shirt, but with hand drawn text. I think it needs something like that to crystallize the concept.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Agree with the others - concept of the first is the strongest, but it needs a lot of work. Either keep in the direction you're going but push further and make it a full gym logo probably single colour, or lose the type completely and find a better way to convey the idea. Whichever way you go she needs a lot of work - the arms for one and think about some variation in line weight maybe. Maybe try a more traditional exercise pose too.

The bike pattern is nice but not mind blowing while on the last one I don't like the use of random paint splats in place of actual design and illustration - it's an overused, unambitious tool.

taz-pie

don't try to thumbsuck drawing people. people have very specific proportions, and it will look dumb if you screw that up. them arms....

No account?
Join Us