Close
One second...

Ethical T-Shirt in Threadless

We are living an important moment in consumers lifestyle. More and more people see not only the final product that they bought but also, where is it from, how is made, who made, etc.
So what I'm trying to start here is a movement to encourage a design contest about "ethical shopping"...but for that Threadless as also to be part of the challenge, well maybe it's already the case, but if not, they have to grant a Ethical Shirt

What do you think?

Watch this
The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni

Have not seen any ethical or environmental policy for Threadless but would be keen to see what they are doing in these areas

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
The Paper Crane said:

Have not seen any ethical or environmental policy for Threadless but would be keen to see what they are doing in these areas

I would like to see this too. In the wake of 3rd world garment industry problems/tragedies it seems like an important issue to address.

Also, NPR's T-shirt project was very informative and opened my eyes to the unseen aspects of producing a shirt.

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Ethical ideals are great, but too many people are arseholes to make it 100% profitable, since better conditions across the board costs money at both ends. Check out Threadless' Facebook page, practically every post they make has a comment from some dick complaining that their tees are to expensive. We are often forced to pay upwards of $50 for tees in stores here in Oz, and these guys complain when one costs $15- $25. Too many people want too much shit for too close to nothing, and couldn't give a shit about the conditions their products are made.

The Paper Crane

...and the environment and other poorer people pay the real cost for cheap clothing.

The Paper Crane

Fascinating stuff Musarter!

90% of US cotton is genetically modified!

I'd be interested to know where Threadless Tees are made – Bangladesh, Columbia... ?

dompirrota

Yeah the problem is when ethical became an Marketing argument to ask more money. In our days it's to expensive to be ethical because, at the end they don't want to lose a penny...and even ask more for our conscience...thats really sucks.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni
The Paper Crane said:

Fascinating stuff Musarter!

90% of US cotton is genetically modified!

I'd be interested to know where Threadless Tees are made – Bangladesh, Columbia... ?

I have a 1st edition Do of the Dead and Business Time that were made in USA. However I have other shirts from Guatemala, Nicaragua (including the Comunitee) , India, and Egypt.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Oh and I have 1st editions of Peace Bang and Ready for Battle zip up hoodies both from Vietnam.

The Paper Crane

Oh yes did not think to look in on the label! So Threadless Tees are made all over the world. (My latest was from Nicaragua).

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Lately the basic tees have been made in Nicaragua, the sweaters in China and the baseball tees in USA. A lot of the Select stuff is made in USA too. All of them are printed in Chicago, I believe.

dompirrota

In my opinion, it's not important where is made, but how is made regarding social & environment concerns.

Is there anybody from the Threadless team, or they dont read the forum :-D

kyleidoscope
melmike said:

Ethical ideals are great, but too many people are arseholes to make it 100% profitable, since better conditions across the board costs money at both ends. Check out Threadless' Facebook page, practically every post they make has a comment from some dick complaining that their tees are to expensive. We are often forced to pay upwards of $50 for tees in stores here in Oz, and these guys complain when one costs $15- $25. Too many people want too much shit for too close to nothing, and couldn't give a shit about the conditions their products are made.

As an Ausradian myself I can't agree more. It blows my mind how price sensitive people in the states can seem over reasonably low cost things like tees. Threadless tees are an absolute steal compared to almost anything you can buy over here.

I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and know what I'm buying was made with some conscience or at the very least some care. There is a lot of junk out there that is made in a horrible way and made without any care.

The Paper Crane
kyleidoscope said:

I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and know what I'm buying was made with some conscience or at the very least some care. There is a lot of junk out there that is made in a horrible way and made without any care.

Me too!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
The Paper Crane said:
kyleidoscope said:

Me too!

Word.

dompirrota

It will be awesome that we could chose when we are buying threadless Shirts to chose if we want to print our own in a ethical one or an "not so transparent" one. That way everybody will be happy, and maybe some of those who didn't thought about that, will join our causes.

I know it's not an optimal solution, but it's half of it ;-)

No account?
Join Us