Close
One second...

Anyone else Google their design ideas?

I came up with a design the other day which I thought was hilarious, and I was extra chuffed when I thought it was completely original. I Googled the idea, confident that there was no way someone else could ever come up with it.

SO MANY PEOPLE HAD. I was angry.

Do any of you guys Google your ideas before submitting them? Have you ever not submitted because you'd seen something else like it? I'm curious.

Watch this
BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

I do just to see if it has been done. Sometimes it has and I just move on. I think if the idea is similar but the execution is different then no harm no foul.

You used to be able to search through past subs too which was nice and cut down on a lot of headaches or wasted time.

vectored_life

I Google mine all the time and search for it as many ways as possible. I threw away a couple ideas because of repeated designs.

JaymeArt

I exist to ensure you're aware that all your amazing ideas have already been thought of by about a million other people.

~Sincerely, the Internet

NDTank
NDTank profile pic Alumni
BeanePod said:

I do just to see if it has been done. Sometimes it has and I just move on. I think if the idea is similar but the execution is different then no harm no foul.

You used to be able to search through past subs too which was nice and cut down on a lot of headaches or wasted time.

that

JaymeArt

I ask Clippy.

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

of course, would be silly not too.

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

I have

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I don't always do that anymore unless I have a feeling I've seen it before. There have been several occasions where a design has been printed that had been done before, just differently. The right execution is key.

But yeah, googling could save you time and disappontment...

chickenmissle

I know what you mean!

For instance, once this big lebowski contest popped up I was so stoked because I had drawn this Duddah for my mancandy in '07 (poorly, I might add) and I thought to myself "Perfect! This is the fire under my ass I needed to rework this piece!" so I began some rough sketches to be the framework of the revamped dude.

The whole time I'm thinking "Yeah I got this - I could totally have a shot at getting printed"

then I checked the forums... and found a thread with a person absolutely killing the duddah drawing. Their super bad ass version made me scrap the idea and now I'm working on another. I hope to see it up soon because I'll be 5$$ their design for sure!

Soursopp

My idea was a design called Poliswag (pretty self explanatory title), and yeah, didn't submit it because it was repeated A LOT. But yeah, it's about the right execution.

Soursopp
Jayme Art said:

I exist to ensure you're aware that all your amazing ideas have already been thought of by about a million other people.

~Sincerely, the Internet

^ So true.

blackblizzard9

I do this, so annoying when you see its been done!!

nerrik

I hesitate Googling it. I really don't like checking, it gives me anxiety.

Milan_

Sure. I know how frustrating can it be when you see similar stuff been done. But if it's not that original in concept you can always compensate in design/illustration. One thing i sure haven't done when i did mine The all seeing pie XD

nerrik
Milan B said:

Sure. I know how frustrating can it be when you see similar stuff been done. But if it's not that original in concept you can always compensate in design/illustration. One thing i sure haven't done when i did mine The all seeing pie XD

I agree, sometimes you can pull of the idea a bit better.

No account?