Close
One second...

I'm calling BULLSHIT on this HOMER J-1000 print.

I am officially calling out Ronan Mahone and his HOMER J-1000 print. I wasn't around to actually vote on this design when it was up for scoring, or I'd have voiced my opinion then. But come on. This looks so incredibly Live Traced in Illustrator or Inkscape.

The types of curves on those lines are exactly the types you get when you trace an image. Is that all it took to win this contest? I threw this together in about 20 minutes in Inkscape. Had I given myself a full hour or two to refine it a bit more, could I also have won a bunch of money?

Come on, Threadless. I expect better curating out of you.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni

Yes, its morning here and i sleep for about 8 hours, now drinking coffee, smoke my few cigarettes and thinking who the fuck am i to comment about this, REALY! I am not depending about selling this designs, they do. So, thats it from me, now you can score my 2 designs.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

shit happens.

if they came to Threadless for a partnership, they probably wanted Threadless' audience of shirt-buyers more than they wanted artists. this isn't the first time they've partnered with a company that picks designs you don't want.

if you have something that'll sell, it doesn't matter how much time you put into it. of course it's a bummer that this got into voting. live-trace is no bueno. but legally, if Rohan went the lazy route, he copied a pic that already belongs to Fox. if Fox wanted it, then whatever. so there's not much of a battle here.

taz-pie

FUCK THE LION KING, AMIRITE?

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I always feel conflicted about these threads because on the one hand people should get to voice their opinion and the fact that conversations like this pop up shows how much people care about Threadless - on the other hand I feel like every artist should get to enjoy their print and not have the moment ruined by negativity. I know it meant a lot to me when people here were supportive of my first print.

I also feel like Threadless does so much good stuff that one dubious decision will never take away their integrity.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!
taz-pie said:

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:

Taryn, you're on THIN FUCKING ICE RIGHT NOW! >:-|

tracerbullet

Also, damn, this thread really asploded.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

BeanePod
Musarter said:

MMMMMM...Smell the magic!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

There have been a few people that have said that this "designer" played by the rules, but here are the rules from the Simpsons challenge:

"Keep in Mind:

Use your original artwork.

You may not use any non-Simpsons logos or anything outside of the Simpsons universe in your design.

No profanity or political commentary is permitted.

Any regular characters from The Simpsons may be used, but celebrity guest stars and outside characters are not allowed."

The first rule listed in the challenge says to use your original artwork. This is clearly not original artwork. I think it's pretty cut-and-dried that this design should have been rejected.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I can't hate all that much, he played the game and got his money... do i respect it? no. would i buy it? no, it reminds me of a Woot shirt. but i respect that he fooled the system into giving him cash. I can't imagine him getting another print after this based on people's reactions, but we'll see!

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

And its pretty near sold out so grab one while you can kids.

vectored_life

So I'm a noob. All I can say is this depresses me :(

I don't want to be part of this fight since I partially don't understand it and I'm on both sides (by that I mean regardless of the issue, I'm happy they got printed: hopefully that made sense). However, I do feel that this is a motivation killer if someone can get printed by simply live tracing someone else's already drawn image.

I want to be an amazing artist and have super awesome powers of drawing but somebody recycled and won. Either way, imma work on my drawing skills but this knocks my spirit down a step.

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:

I personally think there should have been a ton of other designs printed, not bashing any design that got printed, I think theyre all great, but I think there was def a lot that were better.

Staff does care, but when it comes to selecting designs there is mainly a small group doing the picking and they have sort of a formula I think for picking, i myself even working here I'm not sure what it is.

I do agree a bit with this blog tho, if we were going to print stuff that's already created why even bother having this competitions, that goes for a few other partnerships,

I think the problem is that a lot of partners don't understand what Threadless is exactly and look at it more of a branding point of view and whats best for their brand.

I think people should take this into consideration when entering a partnership challenge not all the time will the partner know outside of what works best for their branding what's best for Threadless, I try to keep this mindset as I enter this competitions, so I won't feel so bad when a winner is chosen that I feel shouldnt have been printed.

So yeah to the shirts defense, the guy played by the rules, fox liked it and works well for the shirt.

I'm happy that a new artist got printed and would not like to rain on his parade. I'm also happy to see some really great ones in the mix of prints, like digsys homer maze is great.

I'm usually the one that is really happy to see these contest and go in to them with open eyes as what it means and how it will go.

My question for this one is - how is this original art ?

that is one of the bigger points in the rules, so even if I drop all issues of tracing and simple and what looks good and sells and so on I really don't understand how this abides by the rule of original art ? I'm not angry or anything just really confused because that is the biggest thing in my mind every time I design for these partnered contests. So if a live trace of a screen crap is original art ... well :(

Twiggyhall
Musarter said:

omg this is fucking majestic as shit

vanillablue
vanillablue profile pic Staff
jeffreyg said:

well, this was fun guys!

omg

BeanePod

i can't wait to wear my new sempsun's shirt! bert is so headache for hommer!

vectored_life
BeanePod said:

CAN'T......STOP......LAUGHING!!!

Twiggyhall
BeanePod said:

omg did kenny die again???? gawd that's so funny I crey everytim

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

It's bogus how a submitted design will get pulled by the staff when the community discovers it's a copy or trace of another's artwork, regardless of it "working well on a shirt canvas". I agree with brian, this being printed is indeed horseshit and should have been pulled long before the various rounds of approval and instead during the submission process.

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

TL;DR

This gif makes everything better.

tracerbullet

Aw, snap, Stef was here. That makes my loins happy.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

Like it or not, in the end this is the only thing that matters, it doesn't matter if it's original art or not as long as it brings moneeeeyz, right?!

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

Man, I haven't seen this much scandal since Boys Life magazine revealed that I was Joe Pesci's aunt!

BeanePod
ArTrOcItY said:

Like it or not, in the end this is the only thing that matters, it doesn't matter if it's original art or not as long as it brings moneeeeyz, right?!

BWAHAHAHHAA....that placement though....Jeff's poppin' a homer right now.

BlancaJP
BeanePod said:
ArTrOcItY said:

dang I was so thinking of this :D

I'm so in with the business side of all this but I'm still going with - ok then so all the rules in these challenges are horse shit, f crap and don't mean a thing, so I shouldn't worry about them and just sub all sorts of crap for the moneys - oh wate wasn't this the big no no ?

(yep I'm never getting a print - dudes alex and jeff your still awesome)

littlem

i just want you all to know that i'm still 'live tracing' all your nipples with my fingertips as you're all jibjabbing on and on about this.

stubby43

It selling well isn't the point...

Twiggyhall
BeanePod said:
ArTrOcItY said:

hahahahahahahahahahabhdsbvhsbvsdgdgfsdvghsdhvdsvhvgeyeygfyegw

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
littlem said:

i just want you all to know that i'm still 'live tracing' all your nipples with my fingertips as you're all jibjabbing on and on about this.

I'll think of this as I drift off to my dreams tonight n_n

BeanePod
macdoodle said:
littlem said:

I'll think of this as I drift off to my dreams tonight n_n

once again....wipes keyboard clean...

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

It was fox's contest and they picked that. could they have thought of it on their own? they could have but they didn't, this guy did and they had no problem with it

littlem

Oops, I meant that perry was live tracing macdoodle's nipnoodles... Oh never mind

[+duracell-]

quick, everyone touch nips
lets contemplate on this for a solid 10 seconds
feel better?
i have no idea whats going on

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
macdoodle said:

And its pretty near sold out so grab one while you can kids.

Congrats to the writer, the director, the storyboard artist and the animator! Good job!

nyenyerejunior
1 design submitted -
snoopy1973 said:

nice butt

taz-pie
BeanePod said:
taz-pie said:

IT MENS NO WARRIES

BeanePod

No warrior are too frenz!

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

simple answer, don't enter the contests if you don't like this sort of thing.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!
louisroskosch said:

You missed the point

BlancaJP
randyotter3000 said:
louisroskosch said:

You missed the point

you missed the point totally and I'm starting to be really disappointed to see that people are trying to sweep this under the carpet. if it was a mistake - own up.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us