Close
One second...

I'm calling BULLSHIT on this HOMER J-1000 print.

I am officially calling out Ronan Mahone and his HOMER J-1000 print. I wasn't around to actually vote on this design when it was up for scoring, or I'd have voiced my opinion then. But come on. This looks so incredibly Live Traced in Illustrator or Inkscape.

The types of curves on those lines are exactly the types you get when you trace an image. Is that all it took to win this contest? I threw this together in about 20 minutes in Inkscape. Had I given myself a full hour or two to refine it a bit more, could I also have won a bunch of money?

Come on, Threadless. I expect better curating out of you.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

subbed

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
alexmdc said:
RicoMambo said:

When? Are you on this topic where we comment about traced design that threadless and fox dont have any problem about that, or...?

Read my reply again before making snappy comments dude.

Fuck, now im the dude, ok, i dont know what snappy means, but i did not quote you, i just lurking blogs from time to time...

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

Congrats

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni
macdoodle said:

subbed

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
mechanicalrobotpower said:
macdoodle said:

subbed

Fucking genius!

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Lol

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

Forget t-shirts: I just found a ripped-off, crummy copy of Homer on TELEVISION: . . . .

fightstacy
foodstampdavis said:

Forget t-shirts: I just found a ripped-off, crummy copy of Homer on TELEVISION: . . . .

That's not a Homer, That's American Dad

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

Just wanted to say that i submitted a more original but really minimalistic version of this reference (which is one of my favorites) with just homer's noise poking out around the center of the chest, and it didn't even make it to voting, which i didn't even mine. and then i saw this sub and instantly knew it was a live trace, and i still didn't mind, that much, scored it a 5, couldn't help it i just love that reference. I do think there were a lot for designs that should have been chosen over others, hell some should probably have been chosen over mine, but it wasn't up to me, so not much to worry about really it's not like a huge injustice or anything... i don't know, just how i feel.

ChrisDB
parallelish said:

Just wanted to say that i submitted a more original but really minimalistic version of this reference (which is one of my favorites) with just homer's noise poking out around the center of the chest, and it didn't even make it to voting, which i didn't even mine. and then i saw this sub and instantly knew it was a live trace, and i still didn't mind, that much, scored it a 5, couldn't help it i just love that reference. I do think there were a lot for designs that should have been chosen over others, hell some should probably have been chosen over mine, but it wasn't up to me, so not much to worry about really it's not like a huge injustice or anything... i don't know, just how i feel.

I'm wearing class of 2054 right now!

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni

I just pretend these challenges don't exist so I don't grow a life ending tumour of rage.

thompson98

just saw the original submission. alot of fake accounts giving an average score of 5

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni

i still haven't subbed anything to atrium/atrium2.0 yet. Maybe i should

littlem

Hey dudes!

I don't even know what live tracing is. Is it like when I trace the outline of your nipples, through your homer tee, with my fingertips?

I KNEW it!!

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:

totally agree.....threadless is losing their objectivity what a shame i'm losing my motivation

Morkki said:

I hate it because it's a slap in the face of everyone who spent hours making something original. Printing stuff like this just eats away my motivation. I mean, why bother even trying? I know the blame is mostly on Fox so screw them.

Well if you feel that way, no one is forcing you to submit here?

is this the way how threadless motivates artist?

okay thanks alex

sorry if i offend threadless it won't happen again

thetawaves

This forum is so tense

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
1 design submitted -
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:

totally agree.....threadless is losing their objectivity what a shame i'm losing my motivation

Morkki said:

I hate it because it's a slap in the face of everyone who spent hours making something original. Printing stuff like this just eats away my motivation. I mean, why bother even trying? I know the blame is mostly on Fox so screw them.

okay thanks alex

That convos is between you and Jeff, Jeff is not "threadless" lol

or is he?

MimiX_art

This does make me feel mad, I would take hours to actually think of something that I refine over and over again, until it becomes good. Life is not fair. I learned today, from another artist, is that if you have a great idea but not execute it well, the director will not accept that. And if someone else takes that idea and makes it beautiful and it gets printed or something, then the world will only know that the idea was from that someone that took it. Frustrating right??

Twiggyhall
macdoodle said:
macdoodle said:

subbed

Fucking genius!

LMAO

lugepuar
lugepuar profile pic Alumni
thetawaves said:

This forum is so tense

agree

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni
alexmdc said:
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:

Morkki said:

okay thanks alex

That convos is between you and Jeff, Jeff is not "threadless" lol

or is he?

well i said "threadless is losing their objectivity" but i didn't mean it in fact without threadless i wouldn't even reach my actual "level" as an artist so i was unfair so i apologize :)

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
1 design submitted -

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Is there going to be a Calvin & Hobbes challenge soon? I've got my design ready already!

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni
thompson98 said:
macdoodle said:
thompson98 said:

im just happy that melmike's design was printed. so deserving ...

Definitely! Could have easily been the big winner!

should have been the winner!

You guys are making me blush : ) Seriously though, I always loved Digsy's design and think it has the potential to become an iconic Simpsons image. She really did deserve to win. As for me, I'm always thrilled just to get printed.

fightstacy
lxromero said:

Santo76
Santo76 profile pic Alumni

I think it is a good reference, I think it looks good on a tee... it's kinda original. But I'm also pissed off: If you are a Simpsons fan and an illustrator... what could be better than having the chance of drawing them yourself? I did 11 designs, and I've enjoyed drawing and designing every single one... Even not having too much time, I've spent a few nights working on them because I wanted to give my best. So yes... it pisses me off, but I agree "buyers" won't care...

FoodStampDavis
lxromero said:

LIVE TRACED.

lxromero
lxromero profile pic Staff
lxromero said:

You missed your chance to have calvin coming out of the pocket to pee on jeff

fightstacy
lxromero said:
lxromero said:

You missed your chance to have calvin coming out of the pocket to pee on jeff

I'm saving the pocket to put Hobbes in, ..cause that's cool, you know, Having characters in pockets.

FoodStampDavis

So I was scrolling down this thread when I saw this:

And this happened to be playing on my iTunes:

I was mesmerized.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I saw this thread coming a mile away. I dont feel Ronan is at fault here though. Like was said before, he played by the rules and fox got what they wanted. If I was king of threadless I probably wouldn't continue with these partnerships, but seeing is I am a squire at best, I tend to simply ignore them and not participate. There are plenty of internal challenges and other shirts to be made.

Jake Friedman

Here's my two cents on the matter; when the challenge revolves around characters as opposed to a theme or style, you're gonna get a lot of subs that are just rehashing these characters. I think Threadless will get better subs when a contest is vague like "Road Trips" because its more up to the artist to fill in what he/she feels appropriate. With challenges like Iron Man or Sesame Street, there's already a strong image of what these characters look like, and thus less variation in what is subbed.

So this Simpsons challenge is no different, we all know what the characters look like (hell I even have a book on how to draw each Simpson), so there really is a definitive way to draw them. Now there will be many examples of great shirts from these competitions that cleverly reference an aspect of the show and make great shirts, but it's overwhelmingly just tracings or identical looking versions of a character just on a shirt. Clearly a shirt that is less ambitious, so to speak, will upset people.

But is just shirts after all, so theres that.

fightstacy

But it's just shirts.. ..This is Threadless, it's a world of shirts.

The biggest thing is, Here, on this shirt site, quality is what matters, and when something this low of a quality makes it to where people sweat their faces off to get to, it's shitty.

let us be shitty

P.S. tracing is dumb

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

That is true.

[+duracell-]
foodstampdavis said:

Forget t-shirts: I just found a ripped-off, crummy copy of Homer on TELEVISION:

Bro, why you hate on Family Guy? I was watching tonight and couldnt help but cackle maniacally at this:

My wife got this disgusted look on her face like wtf?! and quickly changed the channel. It was great.

ScribblerCreative

This is pretty disappointing.

I totally understand that this idea works brilliantly in context, and that every artist borrows to some degree, but isn't the idea for us to reinterpret things and deliver them as our own? Surely Threadless shouldn't be allowing artists to trace other people's work and submit it as their own?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't every Threadless competition ask for original work? Can this really be classified as original?

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni

Dang ya'll this thread got CRAZY

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni

I never say ya'll, it just felt right.

Twiggyhall
5eth said:

I don't even know who you are anymore...

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni

I just love it when there are blogs/posts that do this:

5eth
5eth profile pic Alumni
Twiggyhall said:
5eth said:

Jake Friedman
5eth said:
Twiggyhall said:
5eth said:

this thread has too much emotion. Everyone needs to step away from there computers for a bit so we can hug it out tomorrow.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

I'm just glad somebody else noticed this, I thought I was going crazy but I guess since it was printed , it was a done deal, not that it makes it alright, of course.

I just know one thing, originality doesn't pay off most of the time, copy pasting does, it's just the way everything works, people want more of the same thing and this guy was clever enough to give them just what they want so congrats, not on a bad tracing work but on giving people what they like!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us