Close
One second...

I'm calling BULLSHIT on this HOMER J-1000 print.

I am officially calling out Ronan Mahone and his HOMER J-1000 print. I wasn't around to actually vote on this design when it was up for scoring, or I'd have voiced my opinion then. But come on. This looks so incredibly Live Traced in Illustrator or Inkscape.

The types of curves on those lines are exactly the types you get when you trace an image. Is that all it took to win this contest? I threw this together in about 20 minutes in Inkscape. Had I given myself a full hour or two to refine it a bit more, could I also have won a bunch of money?

Come on, Threadless. I expect better curating out of you.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
v.calahan

Sucks… that screen cap is an easy find… and if I recall it was even mentioned during the contest… 5 minutes would do!

RicoMambo
1 design submitted - Score now!

Nobody cares for that, i think this tee will be selling very well, only thing it maters is concept. T-shirt buyers dont pay atention on that professional issues, haha.

tracerbullet

And even if he didn't use the trace feature, he obviously just lazily vectored over a screen cap. Why is Fox paying someone for something Fox already created?

tracerbullet
RicoMambo said:

Nobody cares for that, i think this tee will be selling very well, only thing it maters is concept. T-shirt buyers dont pay atention on that professional issues, haha.

I'm sure you're right. I'm more disappointed that the Threadstaff didn't care more.

RicoMambo
tracerbullet said:
RicoMambo said:

I'm sure you're right. I'm more disappointed that the Threadstaff didn't care more.

. lol, of course, i agree with you, but like i said, who cares.

tracerbullet

What really makes it obvious is the thick block of black at the top of the head where the bush is. That's the kind of thing that happens when your tracing threshold is too high, so the trace takes in too much information from the image.

FoodStampDavis
tracerbullet said:

What really makes it obvious is the thick block of black at the top of the head where the bush is. That's the kind of thing that happens when your tracing threshold is too high, so the trace takes in too much information from the image.

Yup. Just said that over on the facebook group.

If it's true, it's very unfortunate. There are some picks in this challenge I really love, so it's a bummer if a live trace got printed.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

how about that model though ;) ;)

FoodStampDavis
foodstampdavis said:
tracerbullet said:

Yup. Just said that over on the facebook group.

If it's true, it's very unfortunate. There are some picks in this challenge I really love, so it's a bummer if a live trace got printed.

I'm not putting together that it's YOU said it to on the Facebook group. heh. Me smrt.

RicoMambo

Cmmon guys, every challenge printed designs are at least about 70% traced or almost traced easy find google images :-) so this is not a surprise for me :-)

melmike

I've already said my peace on this while it was up for voting, but as to the question why would Fox pay for art they've already done, without knowing the inside info on what Fox did or didn't pay, I do know that all the artists of these prints bar the grand prize winner will be paid based on what sells, so no up front payments... if that makes any difference.

WarDrobeInSpareOom
melmike said:

I've already said my peace on this while it was up for voting, but as to the question why would Fox pay for art they've already done, without knowing the inside info on what Fox did or didn't pay, I do know that all the artists of these prints bar the grand prize winner will be paid based on what sells, so no up front payments... if that makes any difference.

People will definitely buy it, so he'll make money. BUT Fox could have just used one of their own artists to replicate this and cut out the middle man. They're kind of idiots for letting this guy get money from them.

Daviisilva
jeffreyg said:

how about that model though ;) ;)

hm... he looks traced...

vectored_life

Dang, I could've got a print...I'm awesome at tracing...been that way since 1st grade.

btw, I want in on the Facebook group :(

JIMDAHOUSECAT

another reason why I feel bitter to the majority of the designs that got selected. ughhhhh.

jeffreyg

But seriously, this is probably my favorite shirt out of the collection. It looks great on the shirt, and yeah it may not be the most elaborate design to come out of the contest, but it works well with the t-shirt canvas and it's a pretty good Simpsons reference. Any one of y'all could have easily done it - I don't think we should be talking down on Ronan for doing it. He subbed it, we liked it, Fox liked it (it had to go through multiple rounds of approval), and we printed it. Badabingbadaboom.

JIMDAHOUSECAT
jeffreyg said:

But seriously, this is probably my favorite shirt out of the collection. It looks great on the shirt, and yeah it may not be the most elaborate design to come out of the contest, but it works well with the t-shirt canvas and it's a pretty good Simpsons reference. Any one of y'all could have easily done it - I don't think we should be talking down on Ronan for doing it. He subbed it, we liked it, Fox liked it (it had to go through multiple rounds of approval), and we printed it. Badabingbadaboom.

it just feels like a slap in the face when it's take 5 mins to live trace. I agree it's a stupidly clever reference but in my opinion the execution is sloppy. Anyways congrats to him for landing his first print!

Morkki

I hate it because it's a slap in the face of everyone who spent hours making something original. Printing stuff like this just eats away my motivation. I mean, why bother even trying? I know the blame is mostly on Fox so screw them.

Musarter

I agree the concept is good and as a tee it works. But it should have, at the very least, been redrawn by the artist, or the Threadless art department, before it was printed. Live trace prints should not be a thing even in sponsored challenges.

r.o.b.o.t.i.c.octopus

it's kinda like an opposing team winning on a technicality.

[+duracell-]

Ya its lame but its not like winning these types of challenges is particularly hard anyway. I mean Homer is comprised of basic shapes and solid colors, what do you expect really? Personally I would rather just take the extra 10 minutes to draw it out by hand and avoid the embarrassment of being caught live tracing.. but I guess others don't really care.

v.calahan

Yep…

Morkki said:

I hate it because it's a slap in the face of everyone who spent hours making something original. Printing stuff like this just eats away my motivation. I mean, why bother even trying? I know the blame is mostly on Fox so screw them.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

...the concept is good

But...the joke is in the animation. A still frame of it is just Homer partially hidden in a hedge.

FoodStampDavis
WarDrobeInSpareOom said:

...the concept is good

But...the joke is in the animation. A still frame of it is just Homer partially hidden in a hedge.

Well it's definitely for fans that get the specific reference, so I'm glad they were willing to go with some designs that weren't super broad appeal.

I like the idea because I love the moment on the show, and I think it works as a shirt.

However, the fact that it's just a live trace of a screen cap makes me feel a little icky. I know it's probably all technically kosher because it's artwork FOX already owns, etc., but it's still icky. Especially when it's so simple to re-draw.

EZFL

It could have at least been traced by hand.

v.calahan

or foot…

thompson98

im just happy that melmike's design was printed. so deserving when i saw this design in scoring i instantly knew that it was traced. how did it even get through scoring?! so when i saw that it was printed, that is the biggest load of rubbish. Santo76's awesome artworks didn't get picked and this did. why do i even bother with these sponsered challenges...

macdoodle
thompson98 said:

im just happy that melmike's design was printed. so deserving ...

Definitely! Could have easily been the big winner!

thompson98
macdoodle said:
thompson98 said:

im just happy that melmike's design was printed. so deserving ...

Definitely! Could have easily been the big winner!

should have been the winner!

hellofromthemoon

It looks great on a shirt. I'm just surprised because the original Iron Man shirt winner was pulled for much less than this. And that one was redrawn by the artist.

ChrisDB

I think what really irks everyone is that it had no original input by the user who subbed the design. It literally is just a frame from an episode, on a tee. This really opens up future contests to simply be filled with screenshots from popular episodes etc of the source material. The scary thing is, that seems to be what is sought. Original art was overlooked for something completely uninspired in this case.

I will admit it looks 'good' on the tee. The downfall being that the lines are letting it down. And I think it will sell. That meme is pretty popular.

thompson98
hellofromthemoon said:

It looks great on a shirt. I'm just surprised because the original Iron Man shirt winner was pulled for much less than this. And that one was redrawn by the artist.

that is so not fair. this one should be pullled ten too. equal treatment.

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

I personally think there should have been a ton of other designs printed, not bashing any design that got printed, I think theyre all great, but I think there was def a lot that were better.

Staff does care, but when it comes to selecting designs there is mainly a small group doing the picking and they have sort of a formula I think for picking, i myself even working here I'm not sure what it is.

I do agree a bit with this blog tho, if we were going to print stuff that's already created why even bother having this competitions, that goes for a few other partnerships,

I think the problem is that a lot of partners don't understand what Threadless is exactly and look at it more of a branding point of view and whats best for their brand.

I think people should take this into consideration when entering a partnership challenge not all the time will the partner know outside of what works best for their branding what's best for Threadless, I try to keep this mindset as I enter this competitions, so I won't feel so bad when a winner is chosen that I feel shouldnt have been printed.

So yeah to the shirts defense, the guy played by the rules, fox liked it and works well for the shirt.

jeffreyg
MadCobra said:
jeffreyg said:
MadCobra said:

totally agree.....threadless is losing their objectivity what a shame i'm losing my motivation

Morkki said:

Well if you feel that way, no one is forcing you to submit here?

is this the way how threadless motivates artist?

okay thanks alex

RicoMambo

Ops, jeffreyG, not nice, not nice.

RicoMambo

... and stealing styles is not ok, but tracing some other work is ok, very intersting, guys.

alexmdc
RicoMambo said:

... and stealing styles is not ok, but tracing some other work is ok, very intersting, guys.

When did anyone say that's ok?

RicoMambo

When? Are you on this topic where we comment about traced design that threadless and fox dont have any problem about that, or...?

Morkki

So to be fair, a disclaimer "Don't bother trying too hard" should just be added to all sponsored challenge guidelines. No, I get it, the challenge winners are pretty much out of Threadless' hands. But Threadless should for its own sake enforce some quality standards. The design looks fine on the shirt, yes. But the design pic looks just like some random ripoffs sold at shady sites. Maybe customers won't care. But is it really the message that Threadless wants to send out to designers?

alexmdc
RicoMambo said:

When? Are you on this topic where we comment about traced design that threadless and fox dont have any problem about that, or...?

Read my reply again before making snappy comments dude.

mechanicalrobotpower
alexmdc said:

I think the problem is that a lot of partners don't understand what Threadless is exactly and look at it more of a branding point of view and whats best for their brand.

And since when has Fox known what's best for their brand? ba-dum-splash

alexmdc
Morkki said:

So to be fair, a disclaimer "Don't bother trying too hard" should just be added to all sponsored challenge guidelines. No, I get it, the challenge winners are pretty much out of Threadless' hands. But Threadless should for its own sake enforce some quality standards. The design looks fine on the shirt, yes. But the design pic looks just like some random ripoffs sold at shady sites. Maybe customers won't care. But is it really the message that Threadless wants to send out to designers?

I'm speaking for myself not for Threadless.

And not every partnership is like that, there has been some great prints from a lot of them, this happens sometimes, and I personally go into them with that mindset.

thompson98
Morkki said:

these challenges sometimes ruin threadless' unique and creative image

Manupix
alexmdc said:

Isn't what's TL doing with those partners the problem in the first place? I know, I know.

I'll waste no love for this print, yet there is worse.

mechanicalrobotpower
alexmdc said:
Morkki said:

I'm speaking for myself not for Threadless.

And not every partnership is like that, there has been some great prints from a lot of them, this happens sometimes, and I personally go into them with that mindset.

Absolutely agree, ..there's prints in THIS contest that are amazing, ..just a bad, marketable, live-traced apple

jeffreyg

well, this was fun guys!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?