Close
One second...

Congrats Billmund! You won $10,000 for designing The Next Big Tee!

The Next Big Tee winner is here! Watch as we surprise Billmund with the big news that his design Internet scored him $10,000. Then, read about his process, plans for his winnings and his thoughts on internet cats.

Hi - How about a quick introduction? Who are you, where are you from, and what do you do for a living?
My name is Billmund, I'm originally from Sydney, Australia, now based in Bristol, UK and I'm a freelance Illustrator represented by The Drawing Book Studios.

When you're not drawing, what do you enjoy doing?
Reading comics, drinking.

Where does 'billmund' come from?
It's a weird nickname from High School that I've unwisely allowed to endure throughout my professional life! A friend decided 'Bill' was too pedestrian and stuck 'mund' on the end because he enjoyed the name Edmund so much he felt all his friends should be munds.

How did you hear about Threadless?
I have a feeling it may have been via the Faesthetic blog, I'd ordered Faesthetic 7 and 8 and then somehow stumbled onto Threadless and immediately jumped on board!

We saw how you reacted when you learned you won - do you have any special plans for the winnings?
Haha yeah you guys got me good! The prize money will come in handy in a bunch of different ways, I'll blow a bunch of it on Xmas presents, comics for me and dog sledding with my girlfriend when we're in Iceland next week.

How did you go about deciding what the "next big tee" was?
I've got a growing list of ideas that I plucked this from, just unordered notes a few words long, this one was basically "Voltron made of real cats" which I thought was stupid enough to be kinda funny. I really wanted to push the stupid factor so turned up the 80s effect with the mackintosh body and keyboard pants and big blonde mullet. After I'd sketched it out I realised this thing is basically the internet, and then I designed the logo and put him in space.

Can you share any process pictures/videos of your design, Internet?
Yep, I've sent the pencils, inks, flats, and final colours via wetransfer (as you can see he originally had a unicorn head)

I love the old school Voltron look of this. Who would be the Internet Cat's version of Prince Lotor (archenemy)?
That might be an entity called SeƱor Censorship, whom is basically made of millions of dark matter censorship bars (not necessarily Spanish).

Who is your favorite internet cat? Do you have any cats of your own? (Feel free to include any pictures)
I don't actually own any cats but my favourite internet cat is probably Smoosh.

Thanks for chattin' with us Bill! Congrats on your win. Now, everybody go buy The Next Big Tee!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Congrats! This is a great pick for the big prize. :-D

And I want Smoosh!

goliath72
goliath72 profile pic Alumni

CONGRATS WELL DESERVED LOVE IT! NEED TO BUY MY COPY BEFORE IT SELLS OUT!

Christina.A.art

Congrats haha so glad you didn't go with the unicorn head!

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

congrats! this will sell like hotcakes

DanielTeixeira
DanielTeixeira profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

AHAH congrats Bilmund!

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

This is pretty funny and well deserved!

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

This is a strong pick. Well done Bellmund and well done Threadless.

vanillablue
vanillablue profile pic Staff

so great!!!!!!!!

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

So Cool! Love the interview. Love the Design!

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

CongrATs!!!!!

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

CONGRATS ! sweet T and great video :D

Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

Big congrats!!!!

jesshanebury
jesshanebury profile pic Staff

I went home wearing this tee on Friday and my boyfriend burst into laughter. Everybody loves it!

TheArtistDude

Haha! This is awesome! Congrats!

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

great job billy

say, can i borrow a couple bucks?

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

lol EPIC video. congrats billmund, you win threadless!!!

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

i love this shirt and i hate cats

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!
jeffreyg said:

i love this shirt and i hate cats

jax021

I love voltron and love the shirt!

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Tee looks awesome,congrats!

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni

I love when something best win! Congrats BILLMUND and respect Threadless for the choice! Fantastic!!!!!

chuck p comics
chuck p comics profile pic Alumni

congrats! that must have been the greatest feeling in the world!

erdavid

Congrats!

Mr.Wayne
Mr.Wayne profile pic Alumni

Big congrats to you, Billmund!

littlem

Congratulations!!!

Billmund
Billmund profile pic Alumni

Thank you for the support everyone! And thank you THREADLESS! The print quality looks brilliant, can't wait to get my hands on one!

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

Can't wait to get my hands on one either! Congrats!

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

Congrats you talented sob. I know what Bristol is like, so get down to the those waterside drinking holes and blow it all! :)

ilovedoodle
ilovedoodle profile pic Alumni

Wow! Congrats!

Joe Conde
Joe Conde profile pic Alumni

big congrats! well-deserved win!

temyongsky
temyongsky profile pic Alumni

Awesome! Congrats!

Strnks

This is brilliant!!!! You clever bastard Billmund.

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

Congrats ^_^

ben chen
ben chen profile pic Alumni

Congrats~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

haha, that vid was funny as hell... he didn't notice at all when you took your hoodie off.

nicebleed
nicebleed profile pic Alumni

awesome choice! congrats!!!! :)))

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni
  1. Well deserved print regardless of the score.
  2. Cats makes the world go round.
  3. Yeah boiiiiii!
taz-pie

it is like this old image:

but awesomerrr!

whoisrico

Yay Bill!

LoveSpud

The design is just fantastic, a well deserved win! Thanks for sharing your process so beautifully as well, reminded me of where I'm coming from and where supposed to be - very inspirational - back to the pencils for me! (*digs out sharpener and packs G-pen in bubble wrap) Yup!

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Big congrats!

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

awesomeeeee

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Where did you get this from?

taz-pie said:

it is like this old image:

but awesomerrr!

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

it's been said before in other threads, the images are similar but that cat composite image is old and relatively known. It seems weird to me, and lazy bitterness, that they would bring it out now. Billmund deserves every cent of the prize because his representation is still originally Voltron inspired, as is the image above.

Congrats again Bill. Enjoy the spoils.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!
Mr Rocks said:

it's been said before in other threads, the images are similar but that cat composite image is old and relatively known. It seems weird to me, and lazy bitterness, that they would bring it out now. Billmund deserves every cent of the prize because his representation is still originally Voltron inspired, as is the image above.

this

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
Mr Rocks said:

Which other thread?

It would be very far fetched if it is said that the posting was based on "bitterness". I would have posted the reference image in the submission if I have seen this during the voting, given that I knew the idea existed before. Even if this design did not win.

Off course no one can copyright an idea, but still this would probably upset the artist who first come up with it. Moreover, will Threadless print this and give $10,000 if they knew that the idea was done before?

Do you know this designer personally?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us