Close
One second...

Disappointingly low score – tell me why.

Pirate Ninja Robot Rocket Surfer has finished scoring now – I want to know why it did so badly!

I'd appreciate some honest feedback, thanks.

I was doodling in my sketchbook last night and came up with this little guy:

Put it on my Instagram and it seemed to go down well with people.

So I think I'm going to develop him into a design for the Kids challenge. Thoughts, etc?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Do it up! Cool concept and I'm sure you'll execute it very nicely.

Strnks

Thanks guys!

gebe said:

If this is a critique of the usual old pop references, go for it

As in, a critique on the fact pirates/robots/ninjas/space stuff is everywhere on Threadless? Yeah, pretty much. I'm sort of having my cake and eating it though because also it will look cool.

JaymeArt
Strnks said:

Thanks guys!

gebe said:

If this is a critique of the usual old pop references, go for it

As in, a critique on the fact pirates/robots/ninjas/space stuff is everywhere on Threadless? Yeah, pretty much. I'm sort of having my cake and eating it though because also it will look cool.

:] questions:
which is the Ninja part? what is the robot arm holding?

Strnks

Gone done some more sketchin' didn't I:

Gimme yo thoughts, Threadlessatrons!

JaymeArt

to me, looks too busy now. its the sword on his back. is it a lego? I have no idea..can we use lego-looking stuff on shirts?

BlancaJP
BlancaJP profile pic Alumni

that's pretty funny dude. It looks to me like his riding a bomb, with the logo on his hat and the shape... still works for me.

Strnks

A quickly coloured scamp, just for colour palette testing.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Cool drawing. The blue is giving him a very cap'n crunch vibe which might confuse things, unless that's what you were going for.

JaymeArt

b/w pencil sketches can tend to look a bit busy before they have colour etc added. ~Strnks

True that. :]
However, the original b&w sketch didnt. Probably will be tricky to get the visual message to relate all the varied characters using minimal detail...

..and sorry my question wasnt clear, (the format here eats spacing) --I was wondering if the guy a lego.

Gotta say, even with color, still looking busy. jmo :]

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

Coming along nice! Love the metallic look on his legs and hands.

littlem

First thing I thought, too, was 'cool new Lego guy' which I highly encourage!

Looking nice. Maybe more muted tones than the initial color test?

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

There's a print shop in my hometown called Pirate Ninja Print Shop. That's just a fun fact.

This is a nice combo of some very well-worn Threadless (and internet) tropes. Good stuff.

Something in me thinks this would look good with very thick, bold, black lines. Almost Hanna-Barbera style.

berlynhubler
berlynhubler profile pic Alumni

I definitely see a pirate lego man.

el_mazca

I know it can look like "too busy" but I woulld think that´s the precisely the point, I mean, like it´s justified. That said, why not a cat tail?

Strnks

More ninja, less Lego, more rocket, less bomb.

Christina.A.art

I like how metallic the legs and arms look... i'm thinkin that rocket should be more of a gray or a different color that white just looks like it[s not filled in. Some more circles around the nunchuks like the last sketch. I think it's improved from your last update.:) You could try to replace black where the red on the rocket is & make the white gray. Could be a good change. .. perhaps an orange&different red or something added to the rockets fire.

P0ckets
P0ckets profile pic Alumni

What colour tee are you going for? If it's navy you could try switching the outlines from black to match the darker shirt colour, though it doesn't always look right.

Personally I think the white on the rocket works ok, though it would be good to see an alternative.

I'd consider keeping one of the previous robo-elements from his head, like the dial on his ear - he's looking slightly less blatantly robot, although it's hard to balance with business.

thompson98

i like it so far. the metal legs shading is awesome! this will be a high scorer for sure!

Strnks

Vector in Illustrator – DONE:

_EffinSweet_
_EffinSweet_ profile pic Alumni

Vector outlines looking good.

Will the flames be the same colour as the rocket? That looks a little odd to me

_EffinSweet_
_EffinSweet_ profile pic Alumni

i saw noticed the love zombies but the sloth one i couldn't make out until you mentioned it. Perhaps just the lack of colour?

AnthonyMoore

I thought the sloth sticker was a penguin. For me, the design is a little too busy at the moment. Maybe a lighter color palette would help alleviate some of the clutter. I get that your going for a design that intentionally crams together many popular Threadless themes, but right now it doesn't feel like a "Kid" design. I prefer the previous drawing with the smile. It reads a little more "fun" and also feels less busy. Just my opinion. Good luck.

P0ckets
Christina.A.art said:

I think that your original with the smile was better for kids too.

I kinda agree with this. I think it would probably work best as a kids design - they may well pick up a number of designs from the challenge to print, even if there's only one overall winner.

P0ckets

I'm not sure you can really see the ninja hood all that clearly as it stands, what with the sunglasses and collar. I think there's probably enough ninja what with the nunchucks, vest thing and dagger - up to you though.

Christina.A.art

I like the colors on this better except for the rocket looks cleaner & nunchucks in the recent post. Don't think you need that strobe on his glasses.

NDTank
NDTank profile pic Alumni

Overall, this is looking really good. I like the new colors as well.

There is something a little off about the flash on the sunglasses. I like it, but it seem misplaced somehow. Where is the main light source supposed to be here?

Also, the flame looks a little flat.

Clodino
Strnks said:

The flash on the sunglasses makes it more cool I think.

it definetly does!

Demented
Demented profile pic Alumni

Looking good with the new improvements. These colors looks better to me too. I'd try losing the outline on the flame, you don't need it. Same goes for the swooshy motion thing that the rotating nunchucks create.

The other thing this drawing could benefit from is varying the line-width a bit. Right now every line has pretty much the same thickness. If you thin the lines on the inner details like the stickers on the rocket, or the folds of his clothing. Give it a shot, I think you could make this into something really awesome!

mucro
mucro profile pic Alumni

haha it has everything,

Strnks

So this ended with a final score of 2.28 – only 34 fives and a whopping 130 ones.

Yikes.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad – I really like it, or I wouldn't have submitted it.

So… am I deluding myself, or did I just get assraped by some down voters, or something else?

I'd appreciate some honest feedback, thanks.

tohellandback

i'd say you have a problem on the flame and the air of the nunchucks. for me both look a part of the objects and not something separately. you could have used less filling on those and more opacity to not be so bold and give the impression of movement, maybe.

Clodino

I'd say it was heavily downvoted... artistically is a great design...maybe the colors are not so appealing for a tee but anyway it deserved something above 3 or so..

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us